GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Google and Facebook duped in huge 'scam' - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google and Facebook duped in huge 'scam'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google and Facebook duped in huge 'scam'

Google and Facebook duped in huge 'scam'

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on: 29th April 2017 09:35
    Google and Facebook have confirmed that they fell victim to an alleged $100m (£77m) scam.

In March, it was reported that a Lithuanian man had been charged over an email phishing attack against "two US-based internet companies" who were not named at the time. They had allegedly been tricked into wiring more than $100m to the alleged scammer's bank accounts. On 27 April, Fortune reported that the two victims were Facebook and Google. The man accused of being behind the scam, Evaldas Rimasauskas, 48, allegedly posed as an Asia-based manufacturer and deceived the companies from at least 2013 until 2015. "Fraudulent phishing emails were sent to employees and agents of the victim companies, which regularly conducted multimillion-dollar transactions with [the Asian] company," the US Department of Justice (DOJ) said in March. These emails purported to be from employees of the Asia-based firm, the DOJ alleged, and were sent from email accounts designed to look like they had come from the company, but in fact had not....Read more here

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.
Working...
X