GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How little money can a person live on? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How little money can a person live on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How little money can a person live on?

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
    Yes.... the Government seemed to have cottoned on to the high cost of living in London and now seem to be doing a huge social cleanse there. In fact, London boroughs are helping some of their more feral families to move into seaside towns, where accommodation is a lot cheaper but seem to have forgotten about the extra public resources needed to cater for their "needs".

In my area, there have been huge attempts to hush this up but 22 Freedom of information Requests were sent out to different London boroughs in recent months to try and get an idea about numbers. I know this for a fact.... but am not supposed to. The only reason I know is because I had feral neighbours from Hell rent a property near me as private tenants and it took 9 months of investigative hard work to get them out.
    I remember some seaside towns being full of single parent families on benefits 20 odd years ago. When tourism declined, many seaside B&Bs were filled with long-term benefit claimants. The problem is, if people are expected to find work, they won't find it in many of those towns.

There is no easy solution but there has to be a compromise. Like people on benefits not being paid to live in the most expensive London areas like Kensington and Chelsea, Hampstead, Islington, etc. but not having to move 100 miles away either. There's always the issue of family and friends, of course, and forcing people to move away from their local social support group only makes them more dependent on government resources, this is particularly true of people from ethnic minorities that tend to rely more on their local community.

If you move them out, then they'll have to start providing all sorts of services in all their various languages everywhere they go, we're just about to start working on the health project where £16k will be spent just on the Nepalese translation of a website (there will be others as well).

Comment

Yes... I agree.... but the Government seem intent on doing a social cleanse of London by capping Benefits in the way they have. If that wasn't their intention, they would have made the cap proportionate to how expensive it is to live in different areas.

I live in a seaside town and there is no work here at all really; only seasonal work or zero contract work, yet people are migrating here at a rate of hundreds a month and in some cases, have been given financial incentives to help them on their way. This is the side of life that never really gets reported; the fact that various Governments have helped to create this problem and now seem to be spreading it about the land in a hush-hush fashion, helping to house thousands of tenants in properties owned by private landlords and hoping no-one will notice just how big the problem really is.

My town has already deteriorated rapidly. The police helicopter is out now more than ever and the number of stabbings here is unreal. It was nothing like that when I moved here about 18 years ago and I will now have to move even further away from town to get that quality of life back again.
      Remember the mantra:
      NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
      Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
      Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

London Capping Benefits, only at the top hopefully i.e. Bankers and such like? well it was a nice thought at the time.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Since I was a child in a seaside town, there has been minimal work. When the Common Market gave the fishing licenses to Spain, and the Russians and Japanese just took what they want, there has been no work except the Civil Service.

As a young Civil Servant I could only get promoted by moving to London. Locally people with PhDs and 20 years of experience were at the lowest grades, recruitment officers found 5000 applications for a single junior post. Once in London you could never get back as you literally had to wait in situ to fall into dead men's shoes.

However, the hordes continue to come in either to die in the boarding houses converted into OAP dormitories or to work by the seaside, but there is no work and no visitors and so the boarding houses welcome them with open arms.

No summer jobs anymore for school children either. Nobody wins.

Comment

Working...
          X