GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Scooby's Diary - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scooby's Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scooby's Diary

Hi All,

Just joined the forum after reading here for a few months. Looking for a bit of guidance. Hope I posted in the correct place.

I acquired quite a large amount of debt which came to a head in 2018, approximately 40k in total. Since then I have been on a DMP with step change which was happily quite affordable until now £400 a month. I have now have approx. 25k outstanding.

This year I have had 2 unexpected events, one which everyone is enduring at present.

1. I need to move house I the next few months and it seems rents have increased in my area by another 50% on top of what I am currently paying so I am pay £600 now and will need to probably pay £800 to £900 a month going forward. That's if I can find anywhere as rental properties seem in short supply.

2. Obviously all the costs are rising quite significantly, petrol, gas, electric, food etc.

The result, this has made my current DMP quite unsustainable going forward. I need to come to some for of resolution in the next few months, or at least be working towards one.

After doing a bit of research it occurred I have never really looked into the enforceability of these debts, so I fired off some letters requesting the CCA. So far I have received some documentation from Capital One, to which I have no idea of the validity and a fob off letter from Nationwide about a missing signature, I did it seems make the rooky error of not sending the original letter recorded delivery, should I resend to the creditors that have not acknowledged the request? I have told Nationwide that I have no obligation to sign the request and since I have heard nothing. The capital one document appears valid to me, and the letter is insistent that it is!

Below current debts:

HSBC 10k (taken out approx 2002)
    Intrum (formally Ratesetter) 6k (2012)
    Lowell 4k (formally Great Universal Catalogue) (2005)
    Capital One 2k (2002)
    Nationwide 2k (2006)

To be honest since I have been on the plan they have all not bothered me. I expect the ratesetter one should be valid as its quite recent.

What should I do next, is renegotiating the payments a better solution or should I go down the validity route, assuming that maybe a few are not valid which would help tremendously at the current time.

Thanks

Diary do for each debt most are early ones so actual copy originals. Have any CCAs be obtained against you? More details each one
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Scooby,

It would be worth creating a diary entry for each debt so that those that know more than me can offer advice with some relevant background.

Preferred format, one post in the diary for each debt:

Type of account (credit card/loan/overdraft)
      Date commenced
      Approx balance
      Date last paid (approximate date you last made a FULL payment)
      Are you on arrangement or not paying
      Status (default/in arrears/up-to-date)
      Account owner (who is writing to you, a DCA or the lender or a debt purchaser)

Requote the post (or C & P) each time you need help with a question or get correspondence etc.

Good luck...

Comment

And send a copy of the alleged CCA from Cap One to webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk for an assessment of its validity, with a link to this diary. No redactions, only Niddy will see it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
          Diary do for each debt most are early ones so actual copy originals. Have any CCAs be obtained against you? More details each one
          Ok thanks. When you say CCAs obtained against me, do you mee CCJs sorry, nothing like that just defaults. Will fill in as advised.

Comment

HSBC Mastercard:
            Type of account: Credit Card
            Date commenced: Sometime in 2002/3 not sure of exact date
            Approx balance: £10022
            Date last paid: (approximate date you last made a FULL payment) November 2018
            Are you on arrangement or not paying: on arrangement
            Status (default/in arrears/up-to-date): default
            Account owner (who is writing to you, a DCA or the lender or a debt purchaser) HSBC

Comment

Great Universal Catalogue

Type of account: Catalogue
              Date commenced: Approx. 2005
              Approx balance £4141
              Date last paid (approximate date you last made a FULL payment) November 2018
              Are you on arrangement or not paying: on arrangement
              Status (default/in arrears/up-to-date): in arrears
              Account owner (who is writing to you, a DCA or the lender or a debt purchaser): Now with Lowell originally Great Universal, Shop Direct

Comment

Ratesetter Loan
                Type of account: Loan
                Date commenced: Approx 2012 think they topped it up in 2016
                Approx balance: £5939
                Date last paid (approximate date you last made a FULL payment): November 2018
                Are you on arrangement or not paying: on Arrangement
                Status (default/in arrears/up-to-date): Default
                Account owner (who is writing to you, a DCA or the lender or a debt purchaser): Now with Intrum UK from Ratesetter

Comment

Capital One:
                  Date commenced: June 2002
                  Approx balance: £2,865.58
                  Are you on arrangement or not paying: On arrangement
                  Account owner (who is writing to you, a DCA or the lender or a debt purchaser): Capital One

Comment

Nationwide:
                    Date commenced: June 2006
                    Approx balance: £2,143.43
                    Are you on arrangement or not paying: On arrangement
                    Account owner (who is writing to you, a DCA or the lender or a debt purchaser): Nationwide

Comment

Will get the stuff capital one sent scanned in on Tuesday when back at work. Thanks all.

Comment

Hi

Another possibility while you are looking into enforceability/unenforceability (an interim measure, perhaps) - You have been in a DMP since 2018, bur circumstances have changed, and what was affordable then is no longer affordable now. You could approach Stepchange saying you need to work out with them a new level of repayment. This could give you a bit of breathing space while you look at your longer term options.

Comment

Sorry CCJs
                          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

No CCJs

Comment

Originally posted by Still Waving View Post
                              Hi

Another possibility while you are looking into enforceability/unenforceability (an interim measure, perhaps) - You have been in a DMP since 2018, bur circumstances have changed, and what was affordable then is no longer affordable now. You could approach Stepchange saying you need to work out with them a new level of repayment. This could give you a bit of breathing space while you look at your longer term options.
                              It is something I have considered, I just wasn't sure what the creditors would accept. I think at the moment the payments will be greatly reduced. My energy bill has increased by 50% a month, my Petrol bill has almost doubled, obviously food is rising too, with the rent increasing as well but I don't know how much until l find somewhere. I would be generous in estimating them getting half what they do now. Maybe a pause until I know my rent? I will call them to discuss.

If I was lucky and found somewhere the same or not too much more than I am paying now it wouldn't be so much of an issue, I can reduce energy consumption and petrol a little by other means.

Comment

Working...
                              X