GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Kenny91's Debt Diary - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenny91's Debt Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh for Pete's sake Roger give it a rest

Comment

Originally posted by Ballister View Post
      Oh for Pete's sake Roger give it a rest
      This is Kenny91 Diary

Type: M&S Credit Card
      Date Commenced: November 2007
      Current Balance: £2,000
      Default Date: July 2010
      Last Paid: March 2021
      6 June 2021 - CCA sent to Niddy for checking.
      9 June 2021 - Niddy deems M&S CCA unenforceable for now, but issue could be resolved.
      April 2023 - Debt has been sold to Lowell.

Comment

keep all postings amicable
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi all,

Glad to say it has been a quiet few months bar the odd Lowell letter for the alleged M&S debt.

Quick question, given the news this morning about Nationwide looking to acquire Virgin Money, should I look to clear the balance on my Virgin CC and close the account sooner rather than later?

I don't wish to risk offsetting given NW are still the owners of two of my alleged debts.

Google tells me offsetting is usually when monies are taken from a bank account and used to pay down debts, but am curious if NW could use a similar tactic on my Virgin credit card. Anyone any idea if that is feasible/legal?

Thanks,

K91

Comment

In my opinion they can not add a debt to a credit card to pay off another debt. It would be different if you had money in a virgin money account . However I am not sure if the day to day banking is being sold.

Comment

Offsetting could only apply if there was money on deposit.

This is from the formal announcement of possible offer:-

"Integration: Nationwide would seek to integrate Virgin Money gradually over multiple years into the Nationwide group, prioritising good customer outcomes following the completion of comprehensive planning and engagement with relevant stakeholders. In the medium term, Virgin Money would continue to operate as a separate legal entity within the Nationwide group, with a separate board of directors and a separate banking licence. Nationwide intends that the combined group would retain the “Virgin Money” brand in the medium term, but has agreed with Virgin Enterprises Limited (“Virgin Enterprises”) that it would cease doing so over a six-year period from completion of the Potential Acquisition, by which point Nationwide would intend to have re-branded the Virgin Money business."

Also, the Nationwide chairman says -
              "Whilst this would mark another exciting chapter in our history, there is more work to be done and there is no guarantee that we will make a firm offer, nor that it would be accepted by Virgin Money’s shareholders."

Comment

Many thanks for the reassuring replies. I agree that offsetting doesn't appear possible/legal in this scenario, but wanted to cover all angles just in case.

Am about half-way through my SB journey now and trying to keep as low a profile as possible, but will update as and when things crop up.

For now, it's a no news is good news approach.

Cheers,

K91

Comment

Working...
                X