GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Alianza's Unenforceability Diary PRA debt 1 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alianza's Unenforceability Diary PRA debt 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Night Monkey View Post

I also chose to ignore PRA when they threatened to issue a claim, the thinking being that asking for paperwork gives them time to get their house in order before they do so; once they involve the courts then strict time limits apply, the clock is ticking and the time they have to find what they need is therefore more limited.

As it happened they did issue a claim (as I understand PRA are wont to do), couldn't provide the documentation when asked and duly lost.
    So they issued a claim and my guessing it was the one where you engaged solicitors who defended the claim and you won. If you had asked them for the paperwork it is quite likely they would not have been able to find it and possibly not issued (maybe saving you some money but you might feel it was a price worth paying for a 7000 claim). This particular claim is for under £1000 and would be just totally uneconomic to engage solicitors even if they would take it. Therefore my argument is ask for the paperwork and try to stop the claim. If the paperwork doesn't exist they won't find it and if it does- well the lag between issuing a claim and getting to court at the moment is huge - so they would probably find it.

Every case is different but the AAD way does work more often than not and that is to avoid court at almost any cost (short of paying).

Comment

Every case is different
      Couldn't agree more, and if the same were to happen to me in different circumstances I may well make the opposite call. I was just offering one reason for why ignoring a threat of action might be the way forward.

Comment

We don't know the whole backstory here and I think that Alianza is in good hands at this time because PRA are litigatious.
        PRA obviously have a file of the letters that they have sent but that hasn't stopped them sending the LBC has it!
        I hope that they are hit in their pocket here! Because that is something they do understand!

Comment

Roger- I hope you are right but remember this is for £945 . The cheapest fixed fee I can find is £600 which, I don’t know about you but for the bulk of my life it might as well have been £6000000. I didn’t have that sort of money.

The whole point of the pre action protocols is to keep things out of court which AAD does very well. My only visit to court was because I took my eye off the ball and stopped communicating . 25+ other creditors didn’t go anywhere near court.

Of course we don’t know the back story, it might be that a 0 was missed off the end of the amount in which case I would be first to say go to Jo.

I am afraid I think it immoral if not amoral to say do nothing when you know that will almost certainly lead to a claim, causing untold stress and anxiety- if it can be avoided. I know cos I’ve been there with the enemy claiming they hadn’t received my witness statement. I was lucky because I had a brilliant barrister and he did win some costs back but only half what we asked for so I still had to pay my contribution.

I have been there when I perceived one option was to go BR and I won’t tell you what the other option was. Needless to say, I found here and am still here so it can’t all have been bad. This is the nearest I get to bring evangelical about a system. AAD works

Comment

I much appreciate your contributions and indeed your logic here!
            I agree also that AAD ideally is to keep out of court and asking for proof of debt, of assignment, of conformity to the Consumer Credit Act.
            But this is PRA!
            Of course PRA know this isn't cost effective! PRA also know exactly what they are doing!

Now will they put their money where there mouth is?

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
              Of course PRA know this isn't cost effective! PRA also know exactly what they are doing! [/COLOR]
              That is my whole point- it is cost effective for them but not cost effective for Alianza to engage legal representation. We all know about Judge inconsistencies . A friend with a low value claim had £200 costs slapped on and ended up taking a PDL to pay it because they could not get a CCJ because of work. The claimant had even refused mediation - throwing out received wisdom that judges look unfavourably on people who refuse mediation.

Oh and thank you for your vote of confidence

Comment

Originally posted by Warwick65 View Post
                That is my whole point- it is cost effective for them but not cost effective for Alianza to engage legal representation. We all know about Judge inconsistencies . A friend with a low value claim had £200 costs slapped on and ended up taking a PDL to pay it because they could not get a CCJ because of work. The claimant had even refused mediation - throwing out received wisdom that judges look unfavourably on people who refuse mediation.
                Oh and thank you for your vote of confidence
                With these Global Groups like PRA brute force and money is used to achieve their Ends which is to maximise their investment!
                The irony is Bad Debts and poor Credit Ratings are for them good investments!

Comment

With these Global Groups like PRA brute force and money is used to achieve their Ends which is to maximise their investment!
                  The irony is Bad Debts and poor Credit Ratings are for them good investments!
                  reminds me of the Mafia?
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
                    reminds me of the Mafia?
                    Jo saw them off in my Case and with a bloody Nose to boot!

Reading elsewhere seems PRA are sending Letters threatening to send Letters Before Claim!

That's a nice ploy to get you to engage!! Perhaps restart the Statute Bar Clock!!!
                    Show your Hand, walk into their gentle smiling Jaws!

Mafia and knee cap jobs!

Comment

Jo saw them off in my Case and with a bloody Nose to boot! = Yes That was a good result!

Reading elsewhere seems PRA are sending Letters threatening to send Letters Before Claim! = seen a lot lately

That's a nice ploy to get you to engage!! Perhaps restart the Statute Bar Clock!!! = last ditch attempts sometimes as you say get them to engage statute barred out of window,?

Show your Hand, walk into their gentle smiling Jaws!

Mafia and knee cap jobs!
                      then a rope! off a cliff

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I do think some people forget that receiving that dreaded claim form can often push people to start thinking (maybe not totally seriously but even thinking is bad enough) of short ropes and tall buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by alianza View Post
                          have decided to follow their suggestion of just ignoring it and seeing what they do.

I did keep a copy of the cca and proof of posting and have their written replies that they received it and were trying to get the info. Also a letter from 2017 where they admit they can't get the info and they actually write that it is unenforceable so i don't think I will have too much trouble with this if they do decide to go further.

If you ignore that Letter of Claim they will issue legal proceedings against you.

You say you have a letter from PRA admitting the debt is unenforceable so why not tick Box D disputing the debt which might stop them from issuing a county court claim.

And even if they do issue a claim you can demonstrate to the court that you put them on notice that they didn't have the relevant paperwork in their possession at the time.

Another AAD member recently did that (ticked Box D) and the solicitors have written to them to say the account has been suspended because they don't have the relevant documents. So far so good.

Things could change later down the line but considering the value of the debt (£900 approx) you should think carefully before putting your head in the lion's mouth if that can be avoided.

Originally posted by Strepsi View Post

Updated

Just received letter from Overdales

"Our client has informed us that unfortunately the copy of agreement and default notice are not available...We have suspended your account . . . . "

. . . I think this is 'potentially' good news?
                          Di

Comment

I was uncertain whether to ignore or dispute the letter i got but in the end i followed Warwick65's advice and ticked box D and listed the reasons he gave. I have received a letter back saying the account is on hold while they get further information from the original creditor etc, Alianza

Comment

This is very good news indeed, especially since you previously foiled a Letter Before Action from PRA in August 2017 after they had admitted (in writing ) that the debt was unenforceable due to non compliance with your CCA Request.

If they couldn't produce the credit agreement in 2017 then I doubt they'll be able to produce it over four years later.

Let's hope they look closely at the file and see the history!

Originally posted by alianza View Post
                              a MBNA credit card (originally taken out in 1994)

16th Feb 2017 I sent a cca request

10th march 2017 received a bundle of photocopies of MBNA credit card statements and a letter stating that they are awaiting further documentation and to quote 'we have currently deemed this debt as unenforceable which means we are not able to take court or further enforcement action against you to recover the balance'. Needless to say that letter is filed away carefully.
                              . . . .

15th August 2017 letter from PRA indicating they are going to take action stating it is a formal letter before claim i remember Niddy helped me write a letter in response that i sent to them. It all went quiet after that.
                              . . . .
                              Feb 2021. letter from PRA. 'Pre Action protocol' if i do not contact them within 30 days the account may be submitted to the county court.
                              Di

Comment

Letter from PRA received. Account still on hold while they await further information. Alianza

Comment

Working...
                                X