GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script General Question re New Credit Card - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Question re New Credit Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Question re New Credit Card

Slightly confusing so bear with me

I did have a Barclaycard with an extortionate APR which I closed earlier this year. This was under my 'day to day' name . I then saw an advert for 18 months interest free credit on B/Card so I applied- did the digital signature thing but got no actual agreement just the generic .They wanted my 'passport name' which I used. We went through the process and the message said a few more checks needed to be done- I thought that was code but no.

Then I received a text saying my replacement card was on its way so I called and asked - clearly it should not have been a replacement card.

Anyway the new card arrived- no T&C's at all and no details of introductory offers - just the credit limit which I think was quite generous. I was able, after much aggro to confirm the card did come with 18 months interest free credit (Hello new MacBook )

Not that I have any intention of screwing up my credit file again - it took me a long time to be able to get credit at 'regular APR's but are Barclaycard being their usual incompetant selves and setting up an unenforceable credit agreement?

I now have a reasonably comfortable lifestyle (although some would be horrified at what they would see as a low income but I am happy) and my base income is secure for at least the next 2 1/2 years so I feel very fortunate but I like to know all my options- yes I am rather OCD that way

You did sign an e-agreement, Barclaycard will not open a new account without this - it's usually part of the application and plus once you login you will be guided to the terms etc - but they're usually what's advertised on the site. You will get an email in due course explaining all this including the apr and other info - but failing that it is on the back of every statement you get - online statements have extra pages showing this info so it's there and always is.

Most cards work this way now as they offer paperless so you literally see the terms before signing up and then they assume you'll read your statements and thus the info is there.

Out of interest, was it the purple Barclays rewards card? What limit did you get (lol sorry am cheeky like that)! They're good for usage abroad - I have that plus the platinum although I notice they cap opening limits at £3500 now - that's my point; if you got a £3500 limit then you're classed as good risk with them as that's the new cap for new accounts. Both mine are capped at that (although I only use rewards card abroad alongside my Zero) and transferred a couple of grand to the platinum but paid it off pretty quickly so it's sitting there unused right now.

Reason I'm asking about limit etc, the MacBook is offered with credit options if bought through Apple UK and that uses Barclays Partnership Finance - so you might be able to bag a better deal than the card which is only 18 months. Anyway......
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the reply

This was my point, I have had no emails and when you look on the website it says look at the statements but of course as I haven't used the card yet there are no statements. It took me an hour on the phone just to find out the APR- if it had been high I would have told them where they could stick the card.

It is the platinum card with a £4K limit . Currently Apple are only offering credit either via Barclays at 19.9% or Paypal at the same rate or 0% over 4 months. Well that was the situation when I last looked. I am going to wait for the next 'Event' on 13th October incase they release something new. I am currently looking at the Air with 8GB Ram and 256Gb Hard Drive but upgrading to the 10th gen i5 as opposed to the standard i3. The most resource hungry programme I run is EndNote although that does not play well with Macs at the moment

For using abroad I have the 'B' credit card with a fantastic 9.9% APR and no fees for using abroad as well as a Metro and Starling current account for cash spending. Of course I am not sure when I will go on holiday again and they keep changing the rules as to which regions they are free for example metro used to count Ukraine as in Europe which it is but now say it is outside of Europe (With their poor healthcare system I will not be going back there again for a while).

Comment

Working...
      X