GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script bazza9's Diary: UE and F&F settlement offers - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bazza9's Diary: UE and F&F settlement offers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bazza9's Diary: UE and F&F settlement offers

Hi,

Firstly, thank you to everyone within this community for the information that you share and for the constructive approach that you all take. As I'll explain, I've been reading the forums here for some months and they have been incredibly helpful. Before outlining my (or, more appropriately, "our") diary, I'd like to wish you all the best of luck with your own journeys.

So here goes:

A relative has been struggling with debt for some time. It had been having an impact upon their mental health for some years, causing a high level of stress and anxiety. Despite this, they had continued to work ridiculous hours to pay the minimum repayments on their cards. In reality, there was no prospect of the cards being repaid in full.

The situation was such that they were unable to talk to the credit card companies, or even to family members, about finding a solution. Finally, late last year, we persuaded them to open up about the scale of the problem and suggested that we would take on the task of attempting to resolve it for them.

Our primary concern in this, frankly, is their wellbeing.

Initially, we contacted Step Change, who reviewed the situation. They suggested that the situation was so bad that bankrupty was the only realistic option. Our relative couldn't bear the thought of going down this route. The scale of the debt and the age of our relative means that a repayment plan was not an option.

So we decided to put together some money and approached each of the companies that were claiming money from them with an offer for a full and final settlement. As you'll see from the individual entries below, we offered each company the same proportion: around 20% of the claimed amount.

At the same time, we requested CCAs from each of these companies. We did this primarily in the hope of improving our negotiating position. We realised that, even if debts were UE, companies (and those that they might sell the debt on to) might still pursue these amounts. Our relative would find this extremely stressful, meaning that we'd still prefer to settle (if possible) to bring the situation to an end.

Anyway, below is a snapshot of where we are at. As you'll see, we only have two companies left to deal with (Next and Barclaycard), who have both responded to CCA requests. I'll be sending that documentation across to Niddy, so that we can get an informed opinion on whether or not they are enforceable.

Thank you all for your time reading.

1. Debt - Capital One credit card
    Account opened: Nov 1997
    Approx balance: £4,000
    Date last paid: Nov 2018
    Status: F&F settlement offer of around 20% was made and accepted. This account is now closed.

2. Debt- Lloyds credit card
    Account opened: Aug 2013
    Approx balance: £2,900
    Status: F&F settlement offer of around 20% was made and accepted. This account is now closed.

3. Debt - HSBC credit card
    Account opened: Around 2009
    Approx balance: £7,000

4. Debt- M&S credit card
    Account opened: Nov 1986 (as a store card, we believe)
    Approx balance: £9,500

5. Debt - M&S Reserve Account
    Account opened: June 1999
    Approx balance: £5,000

6. Debt - Next Store Card
    Account opened: July 2009
    Approx balance: £1,000 (and rising)
    Status: F&F settlement offer of around 20% was made and has been rejected
    Account owner: Still with Next and no default notice has been issued as yet

7. Debt - Barclaycard credit card
    Account opened: July 1999
    Approx balance: £7,500
    Account owner: Still with Barclaycard. Default notice was issued a couple of months ago. Account status is currently "on hold"

hello and thank you for starting a diary that informs us of where you are at the moment.

Barclays may find it difficult to comply to your CCA request, they were not the best in the bunch for storing historical data
    do you know if it started life as an EGG card or something else, then got taken over by Barclaycard,

As soon as Niddy lets you know what the outcome is, post back here and we can explain what options you have,

Best wishes NW

ps, will delete duplicate post
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Many thanks, nightwatch.

Will post on here once I know the outcome from Niddy.

To the best of my knowledge, the Barclaycard account wasn't an EGG card (or something else) that was taken over by Barclaycard. I think it was always a Barclaycard.

Comment

An update on the following:

7. Debt - Barclaycard credit card
        Account opened: July 1999
        Approx balance: £7,500
        Account owner: Still with Barclaycard. Default notice was issued a couple of months ago. Account status is currently "on hold"

Niddy has confirmed that this is UE.

Comment

Working...
        X