GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Telephone Harassment, Carey, Kotecha, Harrison et al - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Telephone Harassment, Carey, Kotecha, Harrison et al

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Telephone Harassment, Carey, Kotecha, Harrison et al

Paul,

I'm going through our templates and the comment "I do not acknowledge any debt" only shows on the relevant "Prove It" template so whilst I think yes, lets use this to amend all the templates by adding a clever paragraph, I really don't think it's wise asking the users on AAD to accept calls from their creditors - they are here, lets not forget, as it is the last resort! I mean, usually they've already had the phone calls; the threats; the letters; the lack of any life; the harassment; the pain; the suffering - then they do some research & then they find other sites and eventually someone will refer them here or mention Niddy which leads them here.

That seems to be the case of at least 200 active members so far! Therefore, can we look at creating a new "super paragraph" to add to all templates reminding the creditor/dca of our rights and protection under the OFT - and explain that although we're happy to converse; it has to be in writing.

That's what i'd be looking to do......
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I'll second that! I'm reading this with great interest
      LooLoo,

Indeed so am I, as pooling the resources of those in the know is what will being results to many.

Regards

Comment

I third that. I'm finding this very interesting. I really do wish I'd logged calls 2 yrs ago when we were getting a constant barrage which went on for quite a while. At that point I hadn't even got as far as talking to CCCS and was completely stressed out and had no idea what we were going to do.

I now rarely get any phone calls. Usually when a new DCA takes an account I get the odd one or two but that's it. Any that do haass, I have been sending off the telephone letter and they usually stop pretty sharp.

The one DCA that was ringing me fairly regularly (but not harassing me) is the one who tried to talk about loans etc. I wrote and complained about breaching OFT guidelines, and they responded saying they'd investigate their training etc and that they will only write to me now... so I think I'm fairly safe that they will want to avoid court now . I am making monthly payments on that one which will clear it in 4 years so I don't think they will chase me further. So in a roundabout way, the fact that I spoke with them is to my advantage!

I don't know if the lessening of calls is just because it's a year since I first sent off CCA letters and 18 months since most of them were defaulted, or do you think that in light of Harrison, DCAs etc are less inclined to harass by phone?
        Last edited by MustGetStraigh; 17 June 2011, 11:10. Reason: I can't spell.
        Niddified and proud!

Fought and won the UE battle, thanks to Niddy and this forum...
        SB since 2016. Now have my life back!

(I used to be MustGetStraight but I've lost a "t")

Comment

Originally posted by MustGetStraight View Post
          I third that. I'm finding this very interesting. I really do wish I'd logged calls 2 yrs ago when we were getting a constant barrage which went on for quite a while. At that point I hadn't even got as far as talking to CCCS and was completely stressed out and had no idea what we were going to do.
          But lets not forget this would never go to court so recording or taking dates of cals would not have really done much, other than add to your daily stress - a change of phone number is usually the easiest option here....

I now rarely get any phone calls. Usually when a new DCA takes an account I get the odd one or two but that's it. Any that do haass, I have been sending off the telephone letter and they usually stop pretty sharp.
          Exactly as we've tinkered with the letters and got them pretty spot on, now with the harrison judgment things will be oh so much better though - when we do re-do the templates

The one DCA that was ringing me fairly regularly (but not harassing me) is the one who tried to talk about loans etc. I wrote and complained about breaching OFT guidelines, and they responded saying they'd investigate their training etc and that they will only write to me now... so I think I'm fairly safe that they will want to avoid court now . I am making monthly payments on that one which will clear it in 4 years so I don't think they will chase me further. So in a roundabout way, the fact that I spoke with them is to my advantage!
          But you could have explained all that in writing and you'd have had the same result....

I don't know if the lessening of calls is just because it's a year since I first sent off CCA letters and 18 months since most of them were defaulted, or do you think that in light of Harrison, DCAs etc are less inclined to harass by phone?
          Nothing to do with cases, its because if you get the right person open your letters they should remove numbers, if they have done their job properly anyway. As most are dodgy they ignore you or write and say "we are allowed to ring you etc" to which you then respond with with "fine, I cannot afford my landline anymore so it is now disconnected - I can only deal with you in writing"....

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

A question I would like to ask what is the best and cheapest ( if those two go together) way of recording calls.

The reason I ask is because of my limited mental capacity ( stroke) often after putting the phone down I forget what has been said this is because it was a call I do not consider important so it does not register.

So if there was a way I could record those for my benefit I could then play them back in my own time and make a written record.

Could a thread be put in the techie thread on the ins and outs of recording calls.

Regards
            Last edited by pompeyfaith; 17 June 2011, 11:20.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
              A question I would like to ask what is the best and cheapest ( if those two go together) way of recording calls.

The reason I ask is because of my limited mental capacity ( stroke) often after putting the phone down I forget what has been said this is because it was a call I do not consider important so it does not register.

So if there was a way I could record those for my benefit I could then play them back in my own time and make a written record.

Could a thread be put in the techie thread on the ins and outs of recording calls.

Regards

Regards
              Have a word with Caspar - Truecall seems to be good - I hate it, but he uses it and it worked when I rung him the other day - weird! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                But lets not forget this would never go to court so recording or taking dates of cals would not have really done much, other than add to your daily stress - a change of phone number is usually the easiest option here....
                At that point I hadn't discovered any forums, had no idea what we were going to do and changing number never occurred to me. I was not in a good place! With hindsight, should have just changed number there and then. But never thought to. Once I'd got Niddified things started to improve!

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                But you could have explained all that in writing and you'd have had the same result....

What I meant was, they would not have made the suggestion that I take out a loan, bung it on another card etc - in writing. It was something their rep said on the phone. But it now gives me an advantage as I've logged it in writing and they've acknowledged it in writing so they will be less inclined to take me to Court, I hope.
                Niddified and proud!

Comment

Niddy,

Yes I have heard of that device, but at £100 a pop it is an expensive way to go about it.

There must be a cheaper option.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                    Niddy,

Yes I have heard of that device, but at £100 a pop it is an expensive way to go about it.

There must be a cheaper option.

Regards
                    They sometimes come upon fleabay, Pompey - worth keeping a search on?
                    Niddified and proud!

Comment

Hello Pompey!

There is a very cheap option for corded Analogue Phones (conventional type phone with corded handset), it's just a connection that plugs in between the base and the handset.

i.e. unplug the Cord at either base or handset, and plug the gizmo in between.

Then any analogue/digital recording device that has a phono jack plugs into the gizmo, and you just need to hit record as you pick up.

Disadvantage is only that the recording, if Analogue, will be on, say, Cassette Tape. But there are many small hand held Digital recorders that should record to a format that can be saved to the PC.

It may also be possible to link the handset to the PC directly, and record to the PC.

The trouble with all of this, as you may spot already, is it gets very complex, very quickly, and is a fat lot of use for, say, the Bedroom Phone if your gizmo is hooked to the Phone in your Hall!

Many people will also have gone distant and blank by the 2nd line of this Post, because it's already too technical.

I think the trueCall device arguably sorts people out fast who are not able to work out something less expensive and/or simpler.

I regret it's not that easy to record Calls, it ought to be, but it's not as easy as it should be.

I suspect phones will soon come out, if they have not done so already, that will allow recordings to be made just by hitting a button. Some answerphones may have that feature already.

Perhaps others can join in, and suggest ways. Perhaps a new Thread is required?

Maybe copy this Post out and start a new Thread to discuss how best to record calls!

HTH

Silverback

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post

Maybe copy this Post out and start a new Thread to discuss how best to record calls!

HTH

Silverback
                        Sounds like a good idea - I think this would be useful for many of us.
                        Niddified and proud!

Comment

Hi I record a lot of calls for work there is free systems to record outgoing calls... i.e you call them called Rectel.

there is also skype you can record and you can forward your calls from home to that.

AND maplin sell things for as little as 12.99...
                          http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?criteria=call+recorder

Comment

I would always recommend communicating in writing. I have developed a phobia in respect of of the telephone thanks to DCAs calling for OH.

I guess the only upside is that not only do I not answer the phone, I dont make many calls either now, so the phone bill is greatly reduced

I would agree that "template" letters should NOT be sent as everyone's situation is different, even if only slightly.

Comment

Hi Miss Molly, IMO template letters most definitely must be used. Most debtors don't have much clue as to the finer points of the cca thus a template SHOULD Be used as IRS simply a template; that should always be personalised

Templates only go to help a debtor and to be fair in 99% of unenforceability cases a standard template is usually fine

That's my point of view but I do agree that they should be personalised to suit specific circumstances

Comment

Hello Niddy!

I suggest that Forum Template Letter pages should be headed with a date (not part of the Template Letter itself I hasten to add).

Then just below that date, there should be a warning that if more than a set time has elapsed since that date, a Mod should be asked to list that Template for review (thus the Forum itself helps to alert the Site when Templates are in danger of going stale).

Then the Forum should update the Template, as required, and update the date to show the Template is current and/or has been reviewed.

Sticky the Template right at the top of its own Thread, and keep it current.

Many Sites have Template Libraries that are simply out of date, albeit very well intentioned and relevant when first drafted, i.e. based on the best Forum knowledge that was, then, available.

We are mostly Consumers, so all we ever can do is give it the best shot, at the time, and keep coming back to the Templates to tweak them.

The main danger of Templates is when they get out of date, and don't go with the latest flow.

I do agree they are absolutely necessary for as long as Consumers have to group together and apply their collective efforts to find solutions to problems where little other help is available.

Thankfully, there are people who are not Consumers, who do try to help from a professional perspective, and Paul, for example, is currently one of them active on this Site.

But we nevertheless have to help ourselves. Those who have the capacity can, and should, try to help those who find the issues exceptionally hard.

With little or no money, that is the only way to combat the financially better equipped threat that is the banks and DCAs (and the Self-Serving spineless politicians who support them).

Silverback
                                Last edited by Silverback; 17 June 2011, 21:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X