GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Elephant in the room - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elephant in the room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Elephant in the room

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
    Indeed which i believe would shift the burden of proof(I think).
    However I believe that this particular remark was made outside the content of the judgment, which as we know was about the section 78 issues.
    Read the Waksman judgement for further clarity.... paras. 108 & 234 in particular. Balance of probabilities doesn't/shouldn't come into it.
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I think the level of proof required in any civil case is always, "on the balance of probabilities", unless I have missed something

Comment

I think the level of proof required in any civil case is always, "on the balance of probabilities", unless I have missed something
        Correct, it is, on balance or as i call it, more likely than not

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
          Carey was also the Claimant, which tends to get overlooked.
          This does tend to be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul. View Post
            Correct, it is, on balance or as i call it, more likely than not
            Hi Paul,
            Just for my small brain if you signed a quick application form ie a mail shot but never signed a proper agreement is that good enough for U/E argument.
            Last edited by helmsman; 14 December 2012, 20:34.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
              Hi Paul,
              Just for my small brain if you signed a quick application form ie a mail shot but never signed a proper agreement is that good enough for U/E.
              The answer is in section 127(3) of the 1974 Act.

There must be a document, signed by the debtor, containing the prescribed terms.

That is all that is necessary to be enforced by the Court

Comment

Or in other words yes. If the leaflet had all the pts in it as one document and they can show that this is the case you are screwed on this point.
                Have i got that right?

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                  Or in other words yes. If the leaflet had all the pts in it as one document and they can show that this is the case you are screwed on this point.
                  Have i got that right?
                  I think the PT's and the signature have to be contained within the same document. A document however can be more than just one page.

It is not good enough to have a signature document minus PT's and then a separate document containing the terms and conditions.
                  Last edited by gravytrain; 14 December 2012, 21:06. Reason: clarity

Comment

I think the PT's and the signature have to be contained within the same document. A document however can be more than just one page.

It is not good enough to have a signature document and then a separate leaflet containing the terms and conditions.
                    Not quite

the Consumer Credit Agreements Regulations were amended, before the amendment, the signature did not have to appear on the same page as the prescribed terms

Comment

Not quite

the Consumer Credit Agreements Regulations were amended, before the amendment, the signature did not have to appear on the same page as the prescribed terms
                      I don't think i said they did, anyway you are right they don't have to appear on the same page just within the same document.

Comment

Sorry, mixed up again. Does not an agreement need both creditors and debtors signature to be valid or am i mixing up legislation?

Comment

I don't think i said they did, anyway you are right they don't have to appear on the same page just within the same document.
                          correct, im multitasking so didnt read what you said

apologies

Comment

One of my many problems with Carey was the re-definition of the word "document", which has relevance in this discussion i think.

When I was at school a document was sheets paper all of similar size contained together. Now it seems that a document is defined not by it's form but by its content, in other words if the content is connected it does not matter if half of it is on A4 and half on a glossy pamphlet, from what I read this would still represent a single document, seems barmy to me.

Comment

correct, im multitasking so didnt read what you said

apologies
                              No need Paul

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                                Sorry, mixed up again. Does not an agreement need both creditors and debtors signature to be valid or am i mixing up legislation?
                                No just the debtors signature is a requirment.

Lack of a creditors signature would mean that the agreement was improperly executed, but it would still be enforceable as it would just be a minor defect and not trigger section 127(3)

Comment

Working...
                                X