GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Wanted to introduce myself - PRA (Barclays Debt) - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanted to introduce myself - PRA (Barclays Debt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted to introduce myself - PRA (Barclays Debt)

Hello everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself, I have just started battle with PRA for a debt they have purchased from Barclays.

Long story short I had a lot of debt that became unmanageable, I defaulted on cards, loans you name it. I am now being chased for an old debt going back to 2016.

I stumbled across this forum and saw lots of cases of people in the same situation as me, in particular I noticed Di Mayhew on here; I also noticed that she's very much into helping people in terms of offering legal advise and how to deal with debt purchasing companies.

I decided to reach out to Di yesterday afternoon via email. My aim was to hire her services, to see what my options are in terms of dealing with this debt.

I had a telephone call with DI today. What can I say apart from how friendly, witty and engaging she is. She knows her stuff, she knows the industry and how this will more than likely pan out, she made me feel like I am not a criminal for having some debt. All I can say is Di's advice is free. I now feel ready to deal with this process as it unfolds.

I want to share this experience as it grows, I want to help people in the same boat by doing so, I don’t feel alone anymore.

Thanks Di and please watch this space.

Last edited by Rugby lad; 16 December 2020, 16:51.

Hello again - I thoroughly approve of your choice of username

I look forward to helping you with your journey, especially since it involves PRA who took me to court and lost as Jo explains in this post here >

Originally posted by Joanna Connolly View Post
    ‘“RECONSTITUTED AGREEMENT” – IRREDEEMABLY UNENFORCEABLE”
    “UNREDACTED DEEDS OF ASSIGNMENT – NO ASSIGNMENT PROVED”

So, held Recorder Bellamy in PRA Group (UK) Limited v Mayhew at Central London County Court on 22nd March 2017, at the end of a 3 day multi track trial, when dismissing PRA’s claim against our client.

Stale debts sued for on the back of 2 ‘reconstituted’ MBNA credit card agreements (May 1999 and October 2000) were held irredeemably unenforceable under CCA 1974. The evidence of an honest witness was preferred to that of so called “reconstituted agreements”.

After 3 days of close forensic examination of, and legal argument about, evidence and documents from both PRA and MBNA stating that our client’s specific debt had been assigned, the court held that no assignment had been proved.

Efforts, over many months, in earlier cases to force PRA into disclosure of un-redacted deeds and deep and sustained forensic challenge to the provenance of documents needed to prove regulatory compliance, finally drew back the veil. The reality behind bulk debt purchasing was revealed.

This decision shows that just saying an agreement is enforceable and producing a “reconstituted” copy does not prove that it is enforceable. Just saying an agreement has been assigned and producing a notice saying it has been assigned does not prove legal assignment.

Debt purchasers need to provide proof. If that means the pitifully few pence in the pound they pay for stale debts will increase because banks will now have to start keeping original evidence complying with regulatory consumer protection measures, it is hard to imagine many tears being shed, outside the City of London.

Di

Comment

Hi
      I am glad you found Di , she is great isn't she.

Are you still paying your other debts? If so you might want to start a diary and look at what could be done.

Just a point- if you like the game that is a good user name, if you happen to live there you might want to ask the webmaster to change the name to something else- the last thing you need is someone being able to do a little detective work ( claim, amount, place) and work out who you are. I do not live or work in Warwick and never have , I just have a connection with the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Warwick65 View Post
        Hi
        I am glad you found Di , she is great isn't she.

Are you still paying your other debts? If so you might want to start a diary and look at what could be done.

Just a point- if you like the game that is a good user name, if you happen to live there you might want to ask the webmaster to change the name to something else- the last thing you need is someone being able to do a little detective work ( claim, amount, place) and work out who you are. I do not live or work in Warwick and never have , I just have a connection with the city.
        Hi Warwick,

Yes Di is fantastic and is helping me with everything, I could not ask for more.

Also, thanks for your advice given, its gratefully received.

In terms of my location; no I don’t live in Ruby, just love the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Mayhew View Post
          Hello again - I thoroughly approve of your choice of username

I look forward to helping you with your journey, especially since it involves PRA who took me to court and lost as Jo explains in this post here >

Di
          Thanks so much Di - I feel a weight has been lifted.

Comment

Originally posted by Rugby lad View Post
            she made me feel like I am not a criminal for having some debt. . . I now feel ready to deal with this process as it unfolds.

I want to share this experience as it grows, I want to help people in the same boat by doing so, I don’t feel alone anymore.

Thanks Di and please watch this space.

You are definitely not a criminal for having debts - it's not a conscious choice. Stuff happens.

And you're definitely not alone - welcome to the forum community.

Let's see how this PRA situation unfolds.

Di

Comment

Happy new year to everyone, just a quick update on the PRA situation.

I now have received my SAR information from Barclays, and have had a couple of emails and lots of voicemails from PRA.

At this point I have been advised to do nothing until the communications become more threatening.

Comment

Hi Rugby Lad

I would agree with whomever told you not to do anything, especially if it was Di.

I fully understand how stressful it is getting letters and calls- look at my panic from one phone call in 5 years. Since then I’ve had no more calls, letters or emails which is all good.

In my experience - and I have had quite a lot of people chasing me for money in the past, things do quieten down. So much so I said recently it would almost be nice to have contact ( and then I panicked when I did).

It is a long road but worth it. I can’t count how many creditors I had and all are now arguably SB.

Comment

Hi Warwick,

Oh yes I am following Di's advice all of the way. I feeling relaxed about it now since finding her on this forum.

Thanks for sharing your experience with creditors, its nice to know its not just me. Thanks.

Comment

Had another email from PSA - IGNORED!!!

Comment

Had another email from PSA - IGNORED!!!
                      Personally I think emails should be ignored (in general). Tempting as it might be I would try nit to even open them because I am told tracking software can tell them it has been read. That of course means you can not deny receiving them.

Its a nice feeling when you can say, without fear of contradiction 'I did not receive that DN/NOA/Letter' delete as appropriate

Comment

Happy Friday everyone,

I have just received my first letter from PRA - In a nutshell they are offering me a settlement offer, all I need to do is call them for a discount. I have a couple of weeks to respond. I will continue to ignore, unless told otherwise? I suspect I already know the answer.

Comment

Personally I think emails should be ignored (in general). Tempting as it might be I would try nit to even open them because I am told tracking software can tell them it has been read. That of course means you can not deny receiving them.

Its a nice feeling when you can say, without fear of contradiction 'I did not receive that DN/NOA/Letter' delete as appropriate
                          Thanks for the advice Warwick - I will do that from now on.

Comment

Happy Friday everyone,

I have just received my first letter from PRA - In a nutshell they are offering me a settlement offer, all I need to do is call them for a discount. I have a couple of weeks to respond. I will continue to ignore, unless told otherwise? I suspect I already know the answer.
                            I am assuming it doesn't specify the level of discount. This seems to be a tactic to get people to call them. If they are offering a specific discount, is it small or large?

For now though based on what you have said I would ignore

Comment

I am assuming it doesn't specify the level of discount. This seems to be a tactic to get people to call them. If they are offering a specific discount, is it small or large?

For now though based on what you have said I would ignore
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Hi Warwick,

No mention of amount of discount, just call us today.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X