GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script PRA Gp and getting closure - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PRA Gp and getting closure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRA Gp and getting closure

Firstly, hello to all and hopefully some expert advice:

Like many, the 2009 recession took a big hit on my once 40 year perfect financial history. Needless to say, in 2011 I was simply robbing Peter to pay Paul, so turned to the CAB, who were fantastic; agreements set up with all CC's. Most debts remained with the original Account Holders, but RBS CC went to Westcots in c2014, though they had not bought the debt.

in 2016 I wrote, without prejudice, to all CC's with my offer for full and final settlement (55%) and every single one agreed (except PRA, but that was a small CC and N/A to this post).On receiving the funds I was in the process of paying off CC's when I received a letter from Westcots stating that the RBS had decided to overturn their acceptance of offer. I followed the complaints procedure and it was determined that they'd checked my current account, seen my balance was significantly more than the offer and this was their reason for withdrawal. To say I was miffed was an understatement; so near to being debt free!

At some point in 2017 I started again to receive RBS Visa statements, though, I was still paying the DPM to Westcot. In 2018 I received a letter, I think from the RBS, stating that PRA Gp were taking over and details of Payment Reference/bank details were supplied. There was no mention that they had sold the debt. And I simply changed the bank details and continued my £5 DPM.

Now, remember, I'd offered settlement @ 55% which was initially agreed on the debt of £6300. In February this year I sold my house and I want to settle this debt in order to be completely debt free. I called PRA to see if I should send them an offer letter or the RBS, which is when I discovered that the RBS had sold the debt and that the PRA now owned it.

Having researched this forum and others, and knowing previously that the PRA dont play ball with anything less than 80%, I sent them the 'Rquest for information Section 77-79 CCA 1974' and have finally received their reply: 'Unfortunately, due to the age of this account we are currently unable to provide copies of your original agreement. We are therefore unable to satisfy your request.' They then go on to say that they classify it as unenforceable - no court or other enforceable action will be taken etc.

What now then?

The debt is not on file as cleared 2017 (6 year point), but should I still pay the DPM or stop it, I have never signed an agreement with PRA?
    Should I simply forget it? But what if I popped my clogs, the debt would effectively still exist, and there is no way I would want that for my loved ones to sort out!
    Ideally, I'd simply like to see evidence of what the PRA bought the debt for and, buy it off them for that sum......just want to be debt free.

I trust there is enough detail to get some great advice, thank you in advance.

Jock

Originally posted by Jockdown View Post
    But what if I popped my clogs, the debt would effectively still exist, and there is no way I would want that for my loved ones to sort out!

Hello

If a debt is unenforceable when you're alive it will remain unenforceable even when you're not.

Staple that letter to your Will so the evidence is there should your loved ones ever need it.

You will never get evidence of what PRA actually paid for it. Debt purchasers buy a portfolio containing thousands of delinquent accounts.

Why would you want to pay an unenforceable debt?

If you stop paying them you'll get the closure you seek.

Di

Comment

Di,

Many thanks for your reply, most informative, especially regarding the buying of debt portfolio.

I have today cancelled DMP scheduled for July and going forward. I shall staple their letter to my will. As mentioned, I've moved house but have yet to move to a permanent home address. Do I have a legal obligation to contact them with regard to my new permanent address when I get one?

Jock

Comment

you could get Royal mail redirection for a few months, it cost but gets forwarded any mail to you
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
          you could get Royal mail redirection for a few months, it cost but gets forwarded any mail to you
          I have that already, 6 months package, hence receiving the reply letters which are sent to a relatives address. To add, at no stage have I received any email or mobile calls, which is nice.

But, i suppose the Q remains, is there a legal obligation to inform them of my new address?

Comment

Originally posted by Jockdown View Post

I have that already, 6 months package, hence receiving the reply letters which are sent to a relatives address. To add, at no stage have I received any email or mobile calls, which is nice.

But, i suppose the Q remains, is there a legal obligation to inform them of my new address?
            BUT "..Having researched this forum and others, and knowing previously that the PRA dont play ball with anything less than 80%, I sent them the 'Rquest for information Section 77-79 CCA 1974' and have finally received their reply: 'Unfortunately, due to the age of this account we are currently unable to provide copies of your original agreement. We are therefore unable to satisfy your request.' They then go on to say that they classify it as unenforceable - no court or other enforceable action will be taken etc. .."
            What legal Obligation? Their letter tells you that in Law its UE.
            You have NO reason to contact them AND restart the Statute Bar clock! NOR do they have a reason to contact you!
            Silence is golden! Sit on your Hands

Comment

Working...
            X