GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script LBC received for daughter who now lives in Australia - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LBC received for daughter who now lives in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LBC received for daughter who now lives in Australia

A letter before claim has been received at my address for my eldest daughter who has resided in Australia for the last 3-4 years. Should I ring up the solicitor who have issued it or just return to sender “ no longer at this address”? What is likely to happen in this situation? Thanks in advance

oo-err no idea on that one, was the company with the debt told she wasn't in the UK anymore?

if so and they have issued a LBC they knowing that, they are "very very Naughty",

I would just check with Di, but I would think you would return saying no longer in UK
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
      oo-err no idea on that one, was the company with the debt told she wasn't in the UK anymore?

if so and they have issued a LBC they knowing that, they are "very very Naughty",

I would just check with Di, but I would think you would return saying no longer in UK
      I am sure I contacted Hoist/ Robinson Way to inform them she no longer lived in the UK but looks like they have just decided to pass it to their solicitor to deal with. They obviously didn’t believe me!

Comment

Originally posted by scottygees View Post
        A letter before claim has been received at my address for my eldest daughter who has resided in Australia for the last 3-4 years. Should I ring up the solicitor who have issued it or just return to sender “ no longer at this address”?

If you ring the solicitor you would be admitting that you've opened their correspondence to her which is illegal under The Postal Services Act 2000, unless your daughter has given you express permission to do this (open her mail).

My suggestion is not to overthink the situation.

If your daughter no longer lives at the address on the envelope than sending it back 'Return to Sender - No Longer At This Address' is the truth.

Is she still on the Electoral Roll at your address and does she have any assets in the UK?

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Mayhew View Post

If you ring the solicitor you would be admitting that you've opened their correspondence to her which is illegal under The Postal Services Act 2000, unless your daughter has given you express permission to do this (open her mail).

My suggestion is not to overthink the situation.

If your daughter no longer lives at the address on the envelope than sending it back 'Return to Sender - No Longer At This Address' is the truth.

Is she still on the Electoral Roll at your address and does she have any assets in the UK?

Di
          She hasn’t been on the electoral roll for years at this address, has now married and has no assets. If they do a quick check they should be able to confirm this. My daughter is probably unaware she even owes this.

Comment

Originally posted by scottygees View Post

I am sure I contacted Hoist/ Robinson Way to inform them she no longer lived in the UK but looks like they have just decided to pass it to their solicitor to deal with. They obviously didn’t believe me!

Our posts crossed.

I see you have already made Robinson Way aware that you open her post. Was this by phone or a letter?

If you decide to return the 'Letter of Claim' then keep a date-stamped photo of the envelope as you drop it in the postbox (including your hand), as evidence it was returned.

Howard Cohen may well issue a claim and serve it on her 'Last Known Address'. You'll have to cross that bridge when you get to it.

Is she likely to return to the UK at any time in the future?

You say she's been in Australia for 3 - 4 years so could this debt be Statute Barred?

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Mayhew View Post

Our posts crossed.

I see you have already made Robinson Way aware that you open her post. Was this by phone or a letter?

If you decide to return the 'Letter of Claim' then keep a date-stamped photo of the envelope as you drop it in the postbox (including your hand), as evidence it was returned.

Howard Cohen may well issue a claim and serve it on her 'Last Known Address'. You'll have to cross that bridge when you get to it.

Is she likely to return to the UK at any time in the future?

You say she's been in Australia for 3 - 4 years so could this debt be Statute Barred?

Di
              I phoned them as I was getting a few letters from them even after initially returning post not at this address. The LBC says the card was taken out 4 and a half years ago. It is unlikely she will return to the uk in the near future she is married to an Aussie and has quite a nice life. I think I will return the letter and make sure any further correspondence is just returned without opening it. Many Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X