GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script New Poster, please can you help me with Mortimer Clarke? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Poster, please can you help me with Mortimer Clarke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Poster, please can you help me with Mortimer Clarke?

Good Morning - Ive been sent here after posting on the MSE Forums. I am feeling very stressed and scared by recent correspondence I have received from Mortimer Clarke and I'm really hoping someone will be able to help me?

So basically on the 15th August I received a letter from Mortimer Clarke which stated that a claim had been issued a year ago (31st August 2017) to my old address. The letter went on to say that they had made an error on the claim by adding interest which the claimant (Marlin V Europe) did not wish to claim. It said they had been instructed by Marlin to remove the interest and make an application to re-serve the claim form..... however before they do this, they wanted to give me the opportunity to sign a Tomlin Order. (The original amount they claimed was £26k - and without interest it would only be £16k) - This is presumably why a year had passed and they hadn't requested default judgement.

My immediate response was to find a template letter online saying that the debt was statute barred as I believe the default was registered in 2010 and it disappeared from my credit file in 2016.

They wrote back saying that I had last made a payment on the account in March 2012 (I am unsure of this) and therefore at the time they issued the claim they were within the 6 year limit.

Could it be that they purposely issued a claim to an address they knew I was no longer residing at simply to "stop the clock" while they tracked me down? Hmmm!

Following advice from the MSE Forums I sent off a £1 and asked for a CCA Request. They responded on the 21st September with the following:-

1. Loan agreement with terms & conditions (This is a one page document with what appears to be my signature at the bottom dated August 2005) - They say that

"Please be advised that under the Financial Conduct Authority's Consumer Credit sourcebook at rule 13.1.4 a firm is able to reconstitute a copy of the agreement, and there is no obligation to provide a copy which includes a copy of the signature. This was also confirmed by CareyVHSBC Bank PLC (2009) EWHC 3417.

They also enclose a statement of account from the original creditor from August 2005 - December 2015, a letter dated October 2013 advising that the debt had been assigned and a signed statement of account on behalf of the claimant (which is incorrect since it has the 9k interest still on there (which they don't want to claim) plus a further £1200 interest which has just been added.

I'm sorry for the long drawn out post but I thought it best to provide as much info as possible.

The letter ends by saying "We consider that the agreement is now enforceable, if you disagree please explain why"

Is anyone please able to help me formulate a suitable response? Many Thanks in anticipation....... I will attempt to upload the loan agreement. Thank you

Diana Mayhew Warwick65
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Well the first thing is to send a copy (UNREDACTED) of that CCA to Niddy webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk with a link back to your blog.
      He will advise whether UE or not.

It would help if you could provide information in the following Diary format.
      • Type of account (credit card/loan)
      • Date commenced (ideally before Apr 2007)
      • Approx balance
      • Date last paid (approximate date you last made a FULL payment)
      • Are you on arrangement or not paying
      • Status (default/in arrears/up-to-date)
      • Account owner (who is writing to you, a DCA or the lender)

Now make a note of the following for Marlin V Europe
      https://register.fca.org.uk/shpo_sea...=3wq1nht7eg7tr
      Permission lapsed date 30/09/2015
      (that's before the issue of the alleged Claim that they say they withdrew!!)

Marlin are now part of the Cabot Group Btw.

Lets deal with this one step at a time starting with the getting Niddy to look at the CCA and if you could filling out the a Diary details with dates etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Natlou44 View Post
        Good Morning - Ive been sent here after posting on the MSE Forums. I am feeling very stressed and scared by recent correspondence I have received from Mortimer Clarke and I'm really hoping someone will be able to help me?

Hello

I think I may recognise your thread on the other forum where I post as 'Just Di'

If you would like me to look at your documents (Never-in-Doubt is away at the moment) you can email me using di@joannaconnollysolicitors.co.uk

Di

Comment

Thank you - I have sent the documents to Niddy

The details are as follows

1. Northern Rock Personal Loan
          2. Taken out August 2005
          3. Approx Balance £16,323 (without interest)
          4. Last full payment made 14 April 2009 (according to their statement, reduced payments were then made until 31 March 2012
          5. Nothing paid since then
          6. Defaulted approximately 2010
          7. Mortimer Clarke writing to me on behalf of Marlin V Europe

Hope that helps?

Comment

I have sent the documents to Niddy

Niddy is away at the moment (see my previous post).

Di

Comment

Hi Roger
              I'm not sure I fully understand the thing about the lapsed permission, please can you explain how this is going to be useful for me? Also, they haven't said they have withdrawn the claim, they served it over a year ago and it has just been left (no judgement in default applied for) and by their own admission, they would need to amend and re-serve the claim anyway now they have admitted their figures are all wrong?
              Thank you

Comment

they haven't said they have withdrawn the claim, they served it over a year ago and it has just been left (no judgement in default applied for) and by their own admission, they would need to amend and re-serve the claim anyway now they have admitted their figures are all wrong?

The claim has not been 'withdrawn' it's been stayed otherwise they wouldn't have sent you a Tomlin Order which wouldn't be an option if the claim had been Discontinued.

They would need to apply to the court for permission to amend the Particulars of Claim which should give you the opportunity to contest their Application.

I'll reply to your email.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                  that's before the issue of the alleged Claim that they say they withdrew!!
                  The claim has not been withdrawn (i.e. Discontinued) it's a live claim for £26k which has been stayed for a year.

Di

Comment

Working...
                  X