GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script PRA Group full and final settlement help please - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PRA Group full and final settlement help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"And to go back to where I started on my fist post for a moment, does anyone know for sure (from personal experience or otherwise) if this discounted offer received from PRA (second letter I uploaded) is definitely a tactic to provoke contact or whether there is any chance that this discounted total would actually be accepted as a F&F offer?"

Quite frankly, the only people who can answer that with absolute certainty is PRA.

Comment

Warwick65: I very much appreciate the time and effort spent.

Can I check that you mean that 15K of 40K came back as un-enforceable? And do I recall you saying your debts were all pre-2007 (which I understand are more likely to be an issue for the chaser)?

One question that surely must be asked is what if it went to court and I lost, presumably the amount on the CCJ would definitely be 100% due then? And I guess a large costs bill on top!

I’m not sure a Tomlin would apply to me as I don’t have a job currently and after many years of self-employment probably would be more inclined to keep working for myself anyway.

Does anyone on here who has been in a similar position think the CCA request makes it more likely the DCA’'s will then chase even more, assuming they can provide said evidence?
      Last edited by 1Gent; 23 August 2018, 23:53.

Comment

When I said they came back UE it was because either the agreement was flawed or they could not produce the agreement . Yes most were pre 2007 but there was a Vanquis card from 2010 that was written off by Lowell.

As =your account is in the region of 20K , yes there is the prospects of costs if you lose but I don’t see why a Tomlin order or other type of arrangement wouldn’t be appropriate because you are self employed , I have come across people with minimal income on Tomlin orders of £1 a month of=n similar size debts - almost unbelievable but true.

These debt purchasers get 1000s of CCA requests and I have seen no evidence they chase harder. The only anecdotal evidence I have is from years ago when someone claimed their account was defaulted when the CCA request was sent, that for you has already happened.

Why not contact Di and see what sort of experiences her firm have had with PRA which might give you more of an idea as to what you should do.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Gent View Post
          Does anyone on here who has been in a similar position think the CCA request makes it more likely the DCA’'s will then chase even more, assuming they can provide said evidence?
          That question is best answered by a clairvoyant not a lawyer

No one can tell you how a specific debt purchaser or their appointed DCA will react to a s 77-79 CCA Request. They all behave in different ways.

I think you're worried that if the current owner of a debt learns that the credit agreement is obtainable (and more importantly compliant with other statutory obligations) then that might trigger a claim. Maybe, maybe not.

But the flip-side of that (not sending a CCA Request) is that they may issue a claim regardless of having the credit agreement, and I can say from experience many thousands of claims are issued without the Claimant (debt owner) having the documentation they need to win.

Perhaps this is because 90% of claims go to Default Judgment (a CCJ) due to non action by the Defendant (debtor) so debt purchasers may take the view that it's worth giving it a go.

MOJ statistics > https://assets.publishing.service.go...n-mar-2018.pdf

Di

Comment

Hi

I have been thinking and to me something just doesn't seem right but of course I may be wrong.

What worries me is that if you call up to pay the 7K they will suddenly decide they won't accept it and realising you have cash will issue a claim for the full 20K

However I personally have never had an offer where basically they will accept the same be it in a lump sum or 6 payments - not that i ever took anyone up on it

There is a school of thought that says if they offer a discount there must be something wrong so they know they can't enforce , not a view I am entirely comfortable with to be honest.

A couple of questions which might help you decide and and us give better opinions

The account was an MBNA credit card? WAs it always that although I am not aware of MBNA buying other brands

Was it ever owned by anyone else other than the MBNA and PRA?

Did you ever receive a Default Notice - you might have said but I can't find it. MBNA from my personal experience were quite happy to leave a DN until just before sale - in my case about 4 years. I think this would have led to an unfair relationship , well that was a suggetion made by PRA's lawyers in a relatively recent case regaring limitations.

Finally do you own your own home ? If you do I am surprised they haven't issued a claim and tried to slap a charging order on it
            Last edited by Warwick65; 24 August 2018, 18:10.

Comment

Only ever owned by MBNA from start, summer 2011.

Default notice received early January this year.

Sold to PRA early April this year.

No don’t own my own home, sold when business went.

Another thing just in case it is relevant, some 16 days before the letter informing me MBNA had sold to PRA I had a letter to say that my MBNA account had been terminated and advising me of a recovery account number instead, presumably a first step of them legally selling the account, I’ll assume this is normal unless anyone flags up otherwise.

Warwick65: Re your first few paragraphs above.

If I do ever make an offer it will be carefully in writing and of course I don’t have any money myself so would have to be offered from a friend of mine on the basis the money is only available for a true F&F settlement.

Sorry my edited PRA letter may have given the wrong impression where I was trying to not be too specific! The total for paying off over 3 months is approx £65 more than for the lump sum and £115 more for paying it over 6 months, although I do realise this doesn’t necessarily mean it’s any more genuine an offer.

Bob

Comment

Have you moved house at any stage since opening the MBNA account?

I ask because that PRA letter from June has a final paragraph which states: "if you are not the person referred to above, please don't hesitate to contact us on 0800 . . . ".

Could this be a fishing letter to see if you are living at that address? Was this offer made to tempt you to make contact?

The answer to my question will depend on whether PRA have your current address. You say they sent a Notice of Assignment in April so presumably they do.

Di

Comment

So far as MBNA / PRA are concerned the address has remained the same throughout and is still the same, however their letters have reached me through a redirection service as I haven't been their since June as sold, currently 'in between properties'.

Bob

Comment

So far as MBNA / PRA are concerned the address has remained the same throughout and is still the same, however their letters have reached me through a redirection service as I haven't been their since June as sold, currently 'in between properties'.
                    So I'm glad I picked up on the possibility of that being a fishing letter to get confirmation of your whereabouts

You say you've moved house and set up a redirection service. There's anecdotal evidence that Royal Mail 'share' their information with various entities. It says they can do that buried in the small print in the Ts & Cs which you sign. Was it Royal Mail?

If you are "in between properties" you're probably not on the Electoral Roll at your current address so if PRA search your CRA file (have they?) you won't be visible at the new address - hence the fishing letter (if it was).

If PRA search Land Registry (a public register which anyone can search) they would see that you old property has been sold. Creditors/debt purchasers search Land Registry when a debt has the potential to be secured by a Charging Order if a CCJ is obtained.

I cannot give you debt advice (that activity requires authorisation by the FCA) but I can say that having a cynical attitude towards debt purchasers' modus operandi can be beneficial at times.

Di

Comment

Not Royal Mail! With a private company and no direct link to me or family plus I'm currently abroad

I had previously looked into how the Electoral Roll works (link below). Conformation from someone that this was/is would be good.

https://www.yourvotematters.co.uk/fa...toral-register

Comment

I'm currently abroad

If you are currently living abroad then that may make a difference as to how you chose to manage this situation.

It's always best to give as much relevant information as possible when seeking advice from the forum, otherwise we're boxing in the dark.

Di

Comment

Not permanently though Di which is why didn't mention it, definitely coming back just don't know when exactly yet.

Edit: Only been here a couple of months so more like an extended holiday than running away

Edit 2: Will see if I can check land registry but currently doing maintenance!
                          Last edited by 1Gent; 25 August 2018, 12:25.

Comment

the contents are what arrives with a Phishing letter = if you are not do so contact us, failure woukd mean you probably are? old trick to get contact with you,
                            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sorry the tech clerk but there isn't much of that sentence I understand!

Comment

Whilst still searching for those elusive people who have successfully made F & F settlements I came across the following (see post 3 from Charlotte).

https://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/...ccpeted-d.html

I know it’s a while ago but find it unlikely such a company would supply such information!

Any comments anyone?

Comment

Working...
                                X