GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Advice needed please on Marks and Spencer Loan - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed please on Marks and Spencer Loan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beachbaby View Post
    Well hello from me again

Just to update things, I have been receiving letters from them suggesting that I might like to make a payment. They'd acknowledged that they were still trying to obtain the paperwork and so therefore they had a duty to let me know that they were unable to take me to court over it. They send a letter every so often, but that is it, occasionally offering me a £50 discount if I contact them on receipt of the letter. I don't respond, just open the letter and file it. Today though I received a letter from Cabot to say as they'd been unable to reach an agreement for payment they've passed 'my account' to Debt Manager (Services) Ltd. to manage the account for them. The balance is just shy of £1200.

What do you advise my next step should be please?
    Hi Beachbaby. just wait on Debt managers writing to you.They had one of mine from cabot. cabot has taken it back and are going to try Resolvecall next

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinarut View Post

Hi Beachbaby. just wait on Debt managers writing to you.They had one of mine from cabot. cabot has taken it back and are going to try Resolvecall next
      Thank you, I shall sit tight then and see what happens.

Comment

Just to update the thread, I get an occasional phone message left, or a letter now and again asking me to contact them, but nothing so far more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachbaby View Post
          The loan was taken out in October 2006. . . . I paid for some time, then when my divorce happened, I reduced it to £50, then after speaking to a support place for debt, they advised me to go to £1 per month which I did for some time.

So far in the mail I have had a letter, not posted from M&S in Chester, but from Huddersfield. The top letter is from M&S, saying they've transferred ownership to Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd

I've looked back through your thread and can see this debt is owned by Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd which is not currently authorised by the FCA .

This could cause them problems if they do decide to issue a claim against you for this old M & S loan from 2006. Did you receive a valid Notice of Assignment from Cabot (not just M & S) when they purchased the debt, and have you been regularly receiving Notice of Sums in Arrears from them?

Jo explains the relevance of all this in her post here >

Originally posted by Joanna Connolly View Post
          The Cabot group of companies have issues with their assignment process and documentation, as was shown in our recent cases of MFS Portfolio V Phelan & West. We won this case at appeal, following days of argument and counter argument. Part of the judgment confirmed our position both on assignment and that personal account overdrafts are subject to the regulatory framework of the Consumer Credit Act, including S.78 CCA 1974.

The judgment, however, was not all in our favour. The Circuit Judge ruled in favour of MFS Portfolio on a point relating to the use of servicing agents to avoid authorisation by the Financial Conduct Authority under the para 55 FSMA 2000 servicing exemption which we believed to be wrong. However, as we had won the appeal for our client, we were unable to appeal this judgment to the Court of Appeal.

We did however 2 months later obtain another Circuit Judge decision in the Idem Capital Securities Limited case that debt purchasers who are not authorised cannot issue proceedings in the county court regardless of whether there is a para 55 FSMA 2000 servicing agreement in place. Idem did not appeal the judgment.

We currently have other cases going through the courts, which will hopefully obtain binding decisions both on lack of authorisation by the Financial Conduct Authority and other issues too.

f you are currently defending a claim with a Cabot company, whether stayed or ongoing, or Cabot have obtained a Default Judgment against you and you have any query please post any queries on this thread..
          Di

Comment

Sorry for the tardiness in my reply. I get occasional letters telling me how great they are and that they are a pleasure to deal with, which they are certain I will find out too should I engage with them (my words, not their exact words). It is Debt Managers now who write to me, and they do the same, just an occasional phone call and the same letter which says how much and maybe I'd like to contact them. I did get a letter at the start which stated they were unable to take me to court over this.

Comment

do you still have that letter from the start??
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
                do you still have that letter from the start??
                Yes I do, plus I have received another letter this week. They are suggesting that they will accept a payment at a very reduced amount and the whole thing will be cleared if I do, but there is no indication as to what that reduced amount might be, to find out I need to phone them to discuss it, but I am aware by doing so that my actions confirm the debt is with them.

Comment

they are panicking sounds like, they have no case and trying to damage limitation to their fees??? maybe! no ringing the kindergarten play ground
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                  X