GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Parking enforcement in the EU post-May 6th - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parking enforcement in the EU post-May 6th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking enforcement in the EU post-May 6th

Hi folks - I've been quiet for a few months because so have the DCAs! As those of you who remember me will remember, I am outside the UK and waiting for the 6 years to pass (at 19 months now). However, I've been a naughty boy!

I just got the first two parking tickets of my entire life, one of them on a foreign (EU) registered car in London, and the other on a UK registered car in the EU country where I live (I keep them like that on purpose because neither my son, who drives the EU-reg car in London, nor I, who drive the UK-reg car in the EU, can get points on our licence!). Until May 6th we were also both 'invisible' and couldn't get any speeding or parking tickets because the mechanism to share driver details wasn't in place - although, as I said, I hadn't actually had any anyway. However, on May 6th an EU directive came into force which obliges the UK to share details with the EU govts, and vice-versa. The UK govt has said they will repeal it when Brexit becomes final, but a) I don't know how long it will take them; b) I don't know which govt it will be; and c) govts do have a bit of a habit of not necessarily doing what they say they will...

The British police have said they won't chase foreign drivers for speeding etc., because the criteria by which cars are registered are different, but the DVLA will still happily share the details with parking enforcers (which shows that, at the bottom of it all, from both the EU govts' point of view and that of the UK, is £££€€€$$$!). And so, from May 6th, parking tickets can follow you anywhere in the EU.

Anyway, my question, to anyone who has knowledge of the issue, is how do the tickets get enforced, if at all? I have no intention of paying either of them, and I assume that what will happen is that the British fine will come to my foreign address and be unenforceable because it is a UK debt, and the foreign fine will come to my British 'care-of' address and be unenforceable because it is a foreign debt. It actually says on the British ticket that if not paid they may instigate county court proceedings, and I know that that means it can't be done outside the UK, but I am not sure about the details or mechanism involved.

However, the AA (which I assume has to be The Voice of the Establishment in matters like this, and is also a privately-owned insurance enterprise and so presumably not immune to financial pressure...) is running this article in which they mention two pan-European agencies which I assume are just DCAs and therefore not supra-national, despite what the AA says. I assume that they have no teeth in the country other than where the ticket was issued, but I have just a nagging doubt that I may be wrong. You have to scroll down to 'civil offences' to get to the bit that's about parking:

https://www.theaa.com/european-break...offence-abroad

And they link to the two DCAs they mention, here (one seems to be in Italy...):

https://www.epcplc.com

http://www.emo.nivi.it/Login.aspx

Anyone got any more info? Niddy...?

P.S. New site is great but it isn't displaying correctly today - I'm getting no graphics, just a series of lines of plain text.
Working...
X