GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Debenhams Store Card PPi, already rejected by Santander - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debenhams Store Card PPi, already rejected by Santander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Debenhams Store Card PPi, already rejected by Santander

Thanks Bill-K and SXGuy, I'm so grateful for your input.

Liz

Comment

Sorry bill. If the op thinks they will get an admission then your right it would be a lot quicker that way. FOS will take 3 years to complete their assessment. I think your answer is probably the best route atm
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

So, you do think I have a case? And also a chance of a good outcome?

Liz

Comment

You have a case of course. They said you wanted it. You can prove you didn't. Whether they accept it is another matter. But the FOS will in the end I'm sure. We just want to hopefully get them to admit it first because the FOS will take 2 to 3 years to force a pay out. That's the last resort.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
            You have a case of course. They said you wanted it. You can prove you didn't. Whether they accept it is another matter. But the FOS will in the end I'm sure. We just want to hopefully get them to admit it first because the FOS will take 2 to 3 years to force a pay out. That's the last resort.
            Cheers SXGuy - I also take your point that the lenders will often swear blind that the sky is pink, rather than admit the obvious mis-selling. There does seem to be a general trend where the lenders prefer to force claimants to go to the FOS with what are clearly upholdable claims, and I guess they have found that statistically this is better than settling early. Presumably, a lot of peeps just give up and walk away because sending a claim to the FOS can be a daunting task for some. The original belief was that the FOS charged a fixed fee for each claim that was referred to them (nominally £850 at the last check, I believe) - but it now seems likely that they waive this in most cases. There was also the additional FOS imposition of compensation for distress, where a lender has been unreasonable - but I suspect that this is also the exception now, and not the rule. In theory, it could cost a lender around £2K extra if a claim went via the FOS, but I suspect that in practice this is no longer happening.

The problem us claimants have is that the lenders can issue what they call their 'Final Response' - and they tend to do this all too easily. When they have done this, they are effectively saying that is their last word on the matter, and that if you don't like it, then you must refer the claim to the FOS. What I have found is that you can sometimes keep the dialogue going further if you have a good case to argue, and writing to the CEO's office can help with this. It can seem like a long grind, but it can often get them to give in when they realise that you are not going to 'fold' as easily as most players - it seems to be a 'War of Attrition,' and they know that many will fall by the wayside.

But after 6 months or so - if you still can't get them to admit mis-selling, and you have tried everything - then the FOS is the next step. You will have lost 6 months, but will have spent them well by giving yourself the chance of an early settlement. What you will have, though, is a lot more experience - plus additional data & evidence - to put into your eventual FOS claim, and that should help to make your claim watertight. All that extra evidence should also support a claim for compensation for distress.

Comment

I think emailing the ceo is a good next step if the op doesn't get anywhere. In my experience you seem to get results that way

Comment

Thanks again. Have to admit I hadn't realised there was a cost involved if I go to FOS. Hopefully Di will also chip in with some advice but if not I will email the CEO as you suggest. Do I set out all the details in the email and and add attachments, including their rejection letter?

Liz

Comment

Liz Bill didn't mean theres a cost to you, theres a cost to the creditor for every referral. For you it costs nothing. Sorry if things got confusing.

Comment

Thank you everyone and for pm message

Liz, did you write to the Manager/Chief Executive Officer (CEO) about this as well.

I know it's can be a right pain in the you know what keeping at them, where it feels your not getting anywhere,but Santander for one are known for sending the same old response fob off to most people I know, so I would consider writing/emailing the manager and tell them you are aware of many others being in the same position as you and received identical letters. Point out they failed to follow the FCA guidelines. They don't appear to take complaints seriously, this is so low of them.
                    They have that many complaints to deal with, it's easier for them to just send the usual fob off rejection decisions.

I can try finding the contact details for you if you do not have this or if you have not already made contact with the Manager/CEO as yet. x

Comment

My apologies to Liz for giving the impression that the FOS charge the claimant - and thanks to SXGuy for clearing that up. Yes - it is a 'theoretical' charge that the FOS makes to the lender for every claim that they deal with - win or lose. But I suspect that this is perhaps not being made in many cases, which would explain why the lenders aren't bothered about forcing claimants to refer to the FOS at the earliest opportunity.

Good to see Di posting, and I hope you're running on all 4 cylinders again, Di !!! I was hoping you could pop in, as I know that writing to CEO's is one of your many talents, ma'am !!!

Comment

Thanks Di and Bill
                        I haven't written to the CEO as yet but I'll do that now. (I think its Nathan Bostock, I'll email him). So I'm assuming I state my case again, include attachments such as the form I signed when I took out the store card with the PPI 'No' box clearly ticked, doc's letter confirming pre-existing medical condition, I can't send anything about the supposed phone call when I apparently signed up for PPI as it looks as if there isn't anything in writing, certainly it wasn't in my SAR paperwork.
                        Should I send a copy of their rejection letter?
                        Should my line be that 'I assume you will now reconsider my claim' or should it be more 'forceful' than that?

Thanks again for your help, hopefully this may be the last time!

Liz

Comment

Your Welcome Liz, also ask them who the underwriter/insurer was for your policy, because if this does fail again I can help you with a letter to these instead, I succeeded in this one with the underwriter,so if needs to be we will go this avenue if we have to,but hopefully they will back down and overturn this for you.

Look forward to hearing the outcome on this, fingers crossed x

Comment

Liz, send the CEO the copies of the rejection letter and then raise the fact they they failed to follow the FCA guidelines and point out with the information you provided should have been enough evidence to prove that the insurance wasn't for you, ask that this is reviewed,because you feel this is bad customer support in your case but aware they send the same old letters to other people who have directed a complaint to the complaints team. x

Comment

A quick update, on the 12 March I sent my doc's letter to the person who rejected my initial claim. I thought I'd ring them today to see if anything was happening as a result. They have just called me back as they are re-examining my case. Asked me lots of questions again about my job at the time, illness, why I thought I had been missold. I took the opportunity to tell them I now had a copy of my original store card application where the PPI 'NO' box is clearly ticked. Anyway I'll have a response in 10 days. Not holding out much hope but will wait to receive that before I contact CEO and Underwriter.

Liz

Comment

Well I'm gobsmacked!

A letter today from santander saying the PPI wasn't suitable for me and making me an offer! Chuffed to bits and so grateful for all your help.

Thanks so much

Liz

Comment

Working...
                                X