GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script County court hearing - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

County court hearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: County court hearing

Originally posted by rgally64 View Post
    I have a county court hearing come out of the blue for next Thursday 15th sept
    How long is the hearing listed for?

If it's a short one (say 10 minutes) it may be for the DJ to give Directions.

You must go to the hearing or the court may exercise its discretion to strike out your application if it decides you have little or no prospects of success with the set-aside.

That's why I asked if you have filed a Witness Statement with Exhibits to back up your application which the DJ should be able to see before you enter the room.

Plan B x

Comment

And I didn't realise I could of asked claimant for consent to set aside to avoid hearing many thanks
      That would have been before filing your N244 application, not just to avoid a hearing but to avoid making the application to start with. They probably wouldn't have agreed and then you would have had to follow the process you've followed anyway. Set aside applications are usually dealt with at a hearing because both sides need to present their side of the story to the court. Unlike requesting default judgment, this isn't just an administrative process. In principle, you should have requested a hearing when you made your application, even though you didn't, a hearing is required so the court has listed one. The hearing is your opportunity to put your points forward and explain why you think the judgment should be set aside.

Comment

Hiya hoist portfolio 2 holding Ltd and their solicitors are Cohen's I originally sent acknowledgment of service but didn't send defence off in time so I had a default judgment against me however I applied to the court to have judgment set aside with an n244 and sent a defence letter asking them to prove the debt and asking for accounting for the interest I didn't tick the hearing box but I've got a hearing anyway
        Many thanks
        You have to be prepared to explain why you didn't file your defence in time, that will probably be one of the first questions to be asked, and if your explanation is not satisfactory, the court may refuse your application.

Most set side applications are for default judgments where the defendant was not aware of the claim, the court papers were sent to the wrong address, etc. If you acknowledged service but failed to file a defence because of illness, bereavement, a family emergency, you had to travel for work on short notice, etc. you need to make that clear.

Comment

Hi no I haven't had any letters from hoist or Cohen's I paid Over 200 pounds with n244 and I am not a home owner the original said debt was 7-5 k but they've added interest and charges and hiked it up to nearly 11k Many thanks
          Just one thing to bear in mind, as it stands now, you've got a judgment of nearly £11k against you. If your set aside application is successful, it's not the end of the line. It simply puts you back in the position you were in before the claim was issued, and the claimant can re-activate the claim. The idea of setting aside the judgment is to give you the opportunity to defend the claim.

With the amount being over the small claims threshold (currently £10k), any new case will very likely be allocated to the fast track. Unlike small claims, where costs are only awarded against the losing party in exceptional circumstances, in the fast track they are routinely awarded against the losing party. That means if something went wrong, you would be liable for the claimant's costs as well as the debt. On a more positive note, it also means you could get a solicitor to take your case on a CFA (Conditional Fee Agreement) basis, provided they see your chances of winning as being good.
          Last edited by BuzzyBee; 11 September 2016, 11:10. Reason: typo :(

Comment

Hiya hoist portfolio 2 holding Ltd and their solicitors are Cohen's I originally sent acknowledgment of service but didn't send defence off in time so I had a default judgment against me however I applied to the court to have judgment set aside with an n244 and sent a defence letter asking them to prove the debt and asking for accounting for the interest I didn't tick the hearing box but I've got a hearing anyway
            Many thanks
            Your defence has to be a bit more substantial than that. It's a bit late to ask them to prove the debt. Did you ever send a CCA request that wasn't complied with, or dispute this account in any way? Even if you were able to find a reason to challenge the interest, you'd still be left with the original debt to defend.

Comment

Try not to worry. I've passed through to Solicitor & she'll be in touch. You've seen & replied to emails so you know it's in hand now.

Don't worry about the questions on here - Jo will keep you right if there's anything that can be done. It looks daunting but a chat with Jo will help get over the relevant points required to assess your case.
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hiya niddy thanks for your help so far I have spoken to jo she seems to think I've a fair chance and having a solicitor adds a fair bit of weight just got to weigh it up the risks as if it goes to a full blown trial costs can easily escalate to several thousand pounds quite worrying to think of
                At the end of the day this hoist portfolio2 have sent me no previous correspondence prior to putting a claim in and I have seen cases where in similar situations they and Cohen's have backed down before a trial
                many thanks Robert

Comment

I have spoken to jo she seems to think I've a fair chance and having a solicitor adds a fair bit of weight just got to weigh it up the risks as if it goes to a full blown trial costs can easily escalate to several thousand pounds
                  The risk of the other sides costs always has to be factored into any decision on whether to go it alone as a LIP or not even when you have a good case.

Plan B x

Comment

So are you fighting it with Jo's help?
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hiya yes jo has been assisting me don't want to say too much at this stage but it's looking promising

Comment

Hiya yes jo has been assisting me don't want to say too much at this stage but it's looking promising
                        Good
                        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Couldn't be in better hands! Now relax!

Comment

And breath x
                            if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

jo has been assisting me don't want to say too much at this stage
                              If you want privacy you can join AAD+ which will give you access to the secure legal section.

Your thread can be moved there too if you want

Link > http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...l=1#post476206

Plan B x

Comment

Hiya plan b thanks for your help and it was delightful talking to you the other day things have taken a turn for the better I probably will subscribe as I have much to learn many thanks indeed have a nice evening hope to chat to you soon
                                Aad enthusiast

Comment

Working...
                                X