GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Scotland England Courts - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scotland England Courts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland England Courts

When I first signed up with my DMP company I lived in Scotland so all the paperwork was addressed there. Over time a couple of my debts were bought by debt companies, again while I still lived in Scotland. I have since moved to England, and have CCA'ed all my debts and all have turned out to be unenforceable as deemed by Niddy. Could the location of my debts ie loans taken out in Scotland, then defaulted and put on DMP in Scotland and then CCAing them in England mean they would be out of duristiction by a court? I know it's a long shot but I thought I would ask.

Let's hope you never need to know the answer to your question

However, from the way you describe the situation, if a debt purchaser decides to issue legal proceedings against you they should be issued and served on you where you currently live (in England) and dealt with by the English court system.

If the credit agreements have all been deemed unenforceable under s77-79 CCA then they'd be unenforceable in whichever jurisdiction a claim is made.

If a claim was issued in the wrong jurisdiction then you would contest jurisdiction. I would then expect the Claimant (or Pursuer if in Scotland) to re-issue in the correct jurisdiction.

Do all the debt owners know where you are currently living? Are you visible on the CRA files as being on the electoral roll in England?

Di

Comment

I thought it would be too easy to simply move to England! I've been in England about five years now and am on the electoral roll etc so there's no hiding here! I asked the question after being told years ago that my signing a house in England over to my ex could be null and void as I signed it over the border in Scotland I also faked the witness signature as there was no-one I could ask) and that I still half owned it, years on the house is worth gazillions of pounds but in the long shot that I had a claim it would be a nightmare as my ex sold it and it would be far to complicated to do (or am I just too nice?)

Comment

Originally posted by Lifeback View Post
        after being told years ago that my signing a house in England over to my ex could be null and void as I signed it over the border in Scotland I also faked the witness signature as there was no-one I could ask) and that I still half owned it, years on the house is worth gazillions of pounds but in the long shot that I had a claim it would be a nightmare as my ex sold it and it would be far to complicated to do (or am I just too nice?)

No you're not too nice.

The faked witness signature would have got you into a lot of legal trouble, so maybe best you walked away from the situation when you did.

Di

Comment

I actually thought the same thing at the time too, although the house was quite valuable so it would still have paid off. Probably wouldn’t have got into the mess that I did if I hadn’t signed it over but we all live and learn don’t we!

Comment

Originally posted by Lifeback View Post
            I actually thought the same thing at the time too, although the house was quite valuable so it would still have paid off. Probably wouldn’t have got into the mess that I did if I hadn’t signed it over but we all live and learn don’t we!

I completely agree with that statement.

I have a Freedom Pass and draw my State Pension if that helps to explain why.

With age comes wisdom

Di

Comment

Working...
            X