GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Debt help - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debt help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Debt help

Originally posted by allanakimberly View Post
    So i spoke to PayPlan at lunch and she just sent me this email:

Hi Allana,

Further to our conversation please find below the benefits between an IVA and DMP. I will call you on Monday as arranged to discuss this further.

IVA

- Assigned Case officer to help through the process
    You should get this with a managed DMP too.
    - Term is 5 years (6 maximum).
    This is a looong time to be committed to a legally binding agreement (see further comments)
    - No upfront fees.
    Shouldn't be any fees either for a DMP. If so walk away. In a DMP there are no fees at all
    - Interest and charges frozen.
    You can get interest and charges frozen on a DMP
    - No Creditor hassle.
    Not true. Although your response will be 'I have an IVA in place, this will still not stop them calling you to see if they can get more money out of you
    - No further legal action can be taken.
    Only true if you do not break your IVA. As mentioned above 5-6 years is a long time to commit to a legally binding payment plan. Your circumstances could change for the worse, and if you are not able to make your IVA payments your creditors can and most likely will take legal action.
    - Very high approval rate with Payplan.
    So what?! There are many companies that can say the same thing. There are lots of people who successfully negotiate their own DMP's with creditors too.
    - Legally binding with both Creditor and Debtor.
    Yes it is legally binding, but what works for you also works for them too (see above regarding legal action)

DMP

- Your current term would be 7.5 years.
    Your current terms would be 7.5 years if your circumstances don't change. Increase your income the term reduces, reduce your income the term increases.
    - Interest and charges can not be guaranteed to be frozen and if they are its normally for a period of 3-6 months maximum.
    It is true that interest and charges cannot be guaranteed to be frozen, but utter garbage that when frozen its for a maximum of 3-6 months. I have been on a DMP for over 12 months and have creditors who have frozen interest and charges the entire time.
    - Can still pursue CCJ's/Charging order.
    This is also true, but if they have agreed to a DMP and you have kept to it, then they would be foolish to do so and it would not be looked upon favourably in court. The chances are that you would be ordered to pay no more than agreed on the DMP anyway
    - Not legally binding so the Creditors can cancel the agreement at any time.
    This is true but again it cuts both ways. If your circumstances change for the worse there is nothing to stop you reducing your payments.

I hope this is helpful. I will speak to you on Monday to discuss further and see which option you would like to take.

What do you think?
    My thoughts above - not being negative about IVA's but they haven't pitched the pros of a DMP either to make a true like for like comparison (not that you can really as its comparing apples for pears).
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
      My thoughts above - not being negative about IVA's but they haven't pitched the pros of a DMP either to make a true like for like comparison (not that you can really as its comparing apples for pears).
      Hi,
      as SNV has said % is often frozen on dmp for more than 5-6 months 3 years for me so far.( self managed)
      Last edited by helmsman; 30 November 2011, 18:37.

Comment

Don't like IVAs, our solicitors warned us off at the very first discussion we had with them. In fact they were corrrect when I looked. They had said that the majority failed at some point leaving the debtor in more debt than wehen they started out. When I started searching around that seems to be the case and the amount you have to pay is extortionate for what it actually is worth.

I know SnV has some good experience with his self managed DMP.

regards
        Garlok

Comment

when looking at these comparisons, its not a bad idea to bear in mind that Payplan are a company, ie they need to make money. As a company they provide free DMPs and try to sell you insurance etc. However, they do get a fee for IVAs from you which is added into your debt.
          so guys do the math!!!

Comment

the intrest on 99% of our debts has been frozen since 2002, I manage our DMPs
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Don't go with payplan yet. Check your pm's....

I'd strongly suggest you speak to our guy as he'll look into financial hardship etc. plus a lot more informal
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X