GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Annual Statements of Account? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annual Statements of Account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Annual Statements of Account?

Originally posted by mk_chatham View Post
    Thanks Garlok, I read that earlier but was not sure if this included overdrafts, are they not CCA exempt ?

MK
    They are not part of the CCA but should be treated the same in that respect, all it means when we say "not part of the CCA" is the terms in respect of compliance with a s.77-s.79 request....

So yes, the lender needs to send a statement, they also need to default you properly in line with s.87/s.88 etc.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

^^^ Just cos it's an OD doesn't mean they can just walk all over you - i'll read the CCA later and quote the relevant part - if I get time!
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thats interesting mate as I was always under the impression that ODs fell outside the obligations imposed by the Statute. Certainly the banks seem to take this line ( as they would of course).

regards
        Garlok
        Last edited by garlok; 8 December 2011, 12:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          ^^^ Just cos it's an OD doesn't mean they can just walk all over you - i'll read the CCA later and quote the relevant part - if I get time!
          Historically, overdrafts were excluded by section 74 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 as enacted (link) but now that the law has been amended (link) overdrafts are more regulated (link).

Does that help?

Comment

Thanks CC, very useful information. I had always thought that s74 still applied and exclusion to ODs still applied.

regards
            Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
              Historically, overdrafts were excluded by section 74 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 as enacted (link) but now that the law has been amended (link) overdrafts are more regulated (link).

Does that help?
              Thanks CC

I'll have a read of that and will try to decipher it.

MK
              One day at a time, with £34K of UE debt

LloydsTSB - For the (UE) journey NatWest/RBS Mint - (Un)Helpful banking
              Marbles - they lost 'em - and my CCA, what a shame

Comment

Does that help?
                CC. Thanks for those links. I've read all that and feel encouraged unless I've misunderstood. So would you be kind enough to translate that into Plain English for an old fool like me

I think this means s.77A (1) compels the creditor to provide annual statements. Then I think s.74A subsections (1) and (2) say the creditor must also include certain "prescribed" info such as the interest rate at the start of an overdraft facility. And subsection (3) says the debtor must be provided with that information (i.e. interest rate etc) in writing again every year. Are there any sanctions against the creditor for not doing this which are similar to the s.127(?) vehicle which could prevent collection of an overdraft in a sort of unenforceable way?
                Last edited by PlanB; 11 December 2011, 13:06.

Comment

I interpreted that as yes PlanB when I read it through. Would look forward to further expansion though

regards
                  Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
                    I interpreted that as yes PlanB when I read it through. Would look forward to further expansion though

regards
                    Garlok
                    Maybe Paul could add his thoughts on this

In the very least I would like to be able to write a credible letter to the Bank asking for the initial OD agreement if a DCA starts getting pushy. I have a HSBC overdraft with a collector called Clarity (new one on me). After a year doing the rounds they are the first people to sus the debt is an OD not CC. I even had a letter from HSBC saying they couldn't find the original agreement so the Bank accepts it's unenforceable. But maybe HSBC were actaully being accurate and not daft (just this once) if they didn't keep my OD agreement on file

Comment

Does that help?
                      Thanks Cloggy - just seen this.

Ok, a layman version for those that want it....

With an overdraft, historically there was little protection in line with (c.39) s.74 (CCA1974). However this was amended within the The Consumer Credit (EU Directive) Regulations 2010 and also with the addition of c.39 (s.74 (A&B) (VA)) CCA(1974 ---> (Consumer Credit Act 1974) <-- to allow overdrafts within legislation.

Now, the easiest way of looking at this is if you do not have an overdraft or you exceed an existing overdraft, then the lending becomes regulated in line with Part VA (s.74) (s.1(b)) meaning the normal rules apply.

The lender also needs to send an annual reminder to you regards the overdraft, this is why most overdrafts only run a year - so at the end of each year you *should* be supplied with a renewal form detailing the O/D PT's which should be in the form of:

s.74A(2) The current account agreement must include the following information at the time it is made:
                      (a)the rate of interest charged on the amount by which an account-holder overdraws on the current account or exceeds the pre-arranged overdraft limit,
                      (b)any conditions applicable to that rate,
                      (c)any reference rate on which that rate is based,
                      (d)information on any changes to the rate of interest (including the periods that the rate applies and any conditions or procedure applicable to changing that rate), and
                      (e)any other charges payable by the debtor under the agreement (and the conditions under which those charges may be varied).
                      If you have a pre-agreed overdraft and exceed it, or do not have an agreed overdraft but create one then the lender must send the following information to you:

s.74B(2) The matters referred to in subsection (1) are:
                      (a)the fact that the current account is overdrawn or the overdraft limit has been exceeded,
                      (b)the amount of that overdraft or excess,
                      (c)the rate of interest charged on it, and
                      (d)any other charges payable by the debtor in relation to it (including any penalties and any interest on those charges).
                      Make sense........ ???

Comment

Does this have any bearing on ods that have been closed/withdrawn but are still in existence?
                        Thanks
                        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                          Does this have any bearing on ods that have been closed/withdrawn but are still in existence?
                          Thanks
                          In what respect? If there is no OD then of course not, if there is an OD then yes you need to get an annual statement detailing the rate of interest charged etc....

If the OD has been withdrawn then you're entering an unauthorised OD status in which case the bottom part of my post above applies, (s.74(B))

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                            Thanks
                            Hi Niddy,
                            As you are aware I am probably the thckest person on here so my dumb ? is had an O/D thought the acc closed and O/D added to loan ccj, got a SAR and O/D showing as onging ie interest adding every month it is rising very high £3000 + but have had no contact since Aug 2010 when stopped the DMP the amount is still below agreed O/D limit but again absolutely no contact from bank just noticed when SAR received. So as long as they dont contact me or I pay anything will it be SB in 2016 or does the interest added monthly keep this live.
                            Thanks as always.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
                              Hi Niddy,
                              As you are aware I am probably the thckest person on here so my dumb ? is had an O/D thought the acc closed and O/D added to loan ccj, got a SAR and O/D showing as onging ie interest adding every month it is rising very high £3000 + but have had no contact since Aug 2010 when stopped the DMP the amount is still below agreed O/D limit but again absolutely no contact from bank just noticed when SAR received. So as long as they dont contact me or I pay anything will it be SB in 2016 or does the interest added monthly keep this live.
                              Thanks as always.
                              Hiya

Sorry, lets start at the beginning - you cannot add two debts into one so if they got a CCJ by adding a regulated and non regulated (in that sense) product together then I would be arguing for set-aside of the whole CCJ.

Thats an entirely different issue. Also if you have a CCJ it'll never become SB in the traditional sense.....

Can you try and reword the question giving more detail cos right now it makes no sense......

However interest being added does not affect the SB date, no. ONLY you paying into it or acknowledging it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                                Hiya

Sorry, lets start at the beginning - you cannot add two debts into one so if they got a CCJ by adding a regulated and non regulated (in that sense) product together then I would be arguing for set-aside of the whole CCJ.

Thats an entirely different issue. Also if you have a CCJ it'll never become SB in the traditional sense.....

Can you try and reword the question giving more detail cos right now it makes no sense......

However interest being added does not affect the SB date, no. ONLY you paying into it or acknowledging it does.
                                Hi Niddy.
                                Originally thought the ccj contained the O/D with the loan as it was High ie loan andO/D added together since I did a SAR found this not to be the case the ccj is loan only (paying all up to date) I know the ccj will not be SB paying anyway. But the O/D surfaced with the SAR showing interest being added monthly and increasing heading towards what was an agreed O/D. Have not used the acc for 4 years at least when entered dmp what I was asking as I have not made any payments to that ac with O/D have had no contact about the acc will it become SB in 2016 or will the interest they are adding but not informing me about keep the acc live. Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X