GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Council Tax Debt - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Council Tax Debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Council Tax Debt

Originally posted by Diasflac View Post
    The £80.00 cost was only if I didn't pay before the 13th which I have.
    And have you spoken to the council and had it confirmed that it was applied to the arrears and not the current bill as all payments get applied to the current bill unless specifically stated otherwise.

best call and check - to be shoor to be shoor (in my bad Oirish accent)
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      And have you spoken to the council and had it confirmed that it was applied to the arrears and not the current bill as all payments get applied to the current bill unless specifically stated otherwise.

It is correct, £207 for 2 months council tax, I had a copy of the actual bill anyway. The letter says a "further £80 charge would be applied if the summons went ahead". They also said on the phone if I set up a payment plan that went over the 13th of June I'd have to pay £287.00 because the £80.00 would be applied after that date.

They don't mess around

Comment

It is correct, £207 for 2 months council tax, I had a copy of the actual bill anyway. The letter says a "further £80 charge would be applied if the summons went ahead". They also said on the phone if . . . .
        But the summons has gone ahead - it's the hearing in the Magistrates Court which hasn't. Councils always charge to issue a summons.

In your post # 1 you said you had a counctil tax bill for £105.60 not £207 for one month not two. Now I may be rubbish at maths but this new bill seems a lot like your original council tax bill plus £80 for the summons.

Don't believe anything ever said on the phone.
        Last edited by PlanB; 21 May 2013, 14:08. Reason: OP says new bill is for 2 months not 1 month

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
          But the summons has gone ahead - it's the hearing in the Magistrates Court which hasn't. Councils always charge to issue a summons.

In your post # 1 you said you had a counctil tax bill for £105.60 not £207. Now I may be rubbish at maths but this new bill seems a lot like your original council tax bill plus £80 for the summons.

Don't believe anything ever said on the phone.
          This was my mistake, I did have a council tax bill for £105.60 but this didn't cover the almost full second month I hadn't paid (it was 3 but I think I didn't have to pay one of them) which gave the amount of £207.00. They haven't charged me anything to send this letter, the amount they've asked for is the same amount that's on my reminder in April.

There is a breakdown on the summons as well:

Council Tax - 01-Sept-12 - 30-01-13 - £207.00

Would be better if it had the total amount of council tax over that period, with what I'd paid deducted, but there you go.

They're very difficult to call again, when you call them if there's no agents free it just says "All our agents are busy, please call again later or hold to listen to some automated information".
          Last edited by Diasflac; 21 May 2013, 14:11.

Comment

I owe Salford City Council £96.00 in council tax for 1 month of a property but I would like to dispute this.

I privately rented this property but I moved in with my girlfriend instead, luckily I have a nice landlord who said as long as I stayed in it for a month I could have my deposit back. During this month I didn't stay in this property at all, I had keys but other than looking around before and after the month I've never stepped foot in it. Salford council sent me a bill for £105.60 so I explained the situation
            If you're only liable for one month's council tax then why has Salford Council sent you a new bill for two months

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
              If you're only liable for one month's council tax then why has Salford Council sent you a new bill for two months
              and why would they threaten a summons for one missed payment...?
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Payment was just end of January, it's now May.

The dates and everything wrong was me writing this thread at work without any paperwork in front of me, and not looking at the paperwork for a while.. I have 2 bills, 1 for 1 month, 1 for 2 months. I owe 2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post

I had an underpayment on last year's bill because of my DD moving back home. I informed them straight away but it still took them almost 6 months to sort it out. When I paid the underpayment, sure enough, they deducted it from this year's bill which I only found out when I got a letter threatening court...even though I'd written to them and told them what the payment was for
                  Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

You are dead right Plan B. I had to pay the council the extra to get my name removed from their list because the summons had been processed.

Comment

Working...
                    X