GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script PRA Group - Barclaycard debt - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PRA Group - Barclaycard debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRA Group - Barclaycard debt

Wasn't sure where to put this, so as per the description - hoping a moderator will move if necessary

I have a Barclaycard debt (I have a few, but this is currently one I have lost control of) that has been passed to PRA Group. I initially took the Barclaycard freeze for Covid, which lasted 6 months, and didn't pay anything after it had finished. Ultimately my circumstances changed, and I couldn't afford to. This was all back in 2020. This year, around January - PRA Group wrote to me, asking for payment and offering settlement. I ignored it thinking they were spamming/chancing, and i was awaiting Barclaycard to contact me (wasn't sure how all this worked).

Their letters got worse and worse, and so I did some research online and found some helpful information on another website to basically ask them to supply a copy of the agreement. I sent the letter off, and then didn't hear anything from them for about 2 months. I understood this was outside of the time limit etc. and assumed that they had gone away having been caught trying to be naughty.

They then sent me another letter demanding full payment. I subsequently sent them a complaint letter, advising that they had not fulfilled my request, and until they do so they should stop contacting me, and set out that i wanted a full response within 8 weeks. They sent me a number of e-mails, advising they had received the complaint, and that they would endeavour to respond in the time frame.

Whilst they had the complaint, the documentation from my initial query arrived through the post..... with the wrong address on it... My name, my post code, my house number - but the road name was completely wrong. Interestingly, someone had written on the envelope the correct road name with a question mark against it - as if they had worked out where it should have gone (Post office? wrong address posted to? who knows). Having opened it, the covering letter is the part with the wrong address, the documentation clearly had my correct address. I'm not entirely sure - but the envelope may have been opened (i have no way of proving is disproving this event) but you know when you open a self seal envelope, and whilst it sort of sticks back down - its never quite the same.. it was like that..

I believe they have broken GDPR policies, purely due to the negligence in attention to detail - but have no idea how to handle them from here... and then i came across this forum - that seems to have lots of helpful people within the scope of numerous things - and hoping someone can point me in the right direction for my next course of action. Do I accept that they are now the new creditor - and that i do indeed owe them the money. I have no idea if the documentation they provided is correct, but assume it is given the information on it. Has someone else seen this, and is now aware of my personal affairs.

They finally responded to the complaint, and said that my complaint is not upheld - and that I could appeal to the financial ombudsman service.

Not sure where to go from here - do I just accept it and make them an affordable offer to repay? Or do I have room to bargain with them with regards to the wrong address etc.

Look forward to any and all advice at this stage, its quite stressful - and just want to deal with it best as possible.

Ok so first off, take a deep breathe and relax.
    it would appear that the debt has been sold to PRA group, which is permissible but not the end of the world.
    what you are asked to do here is a diary (format provided kindly by @TheTechClerk ) which will set out the basics for us to be able to comment upon and advise accordingly.

Comment

The Tech Clerk Why doesn’t link work in post?

Comment

[Type of account -
        Date commenced
        Approx balance around £
        Date last paid last full payment
        Status - in arrears -

this is a new started thread?
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks! Im assuming i just put it here?

Type of account - Credit Card
          Date commenced - Not 100% sure - and none of the documentation they have sent has this - the earliest contact info i have with Barclaycard dates back to 2017
          Approx balance around £5120
          Date last paid last full payment - 22/06/20
          Status - in arrears
          Last edited by kp1602; 26 July 2022, 13:33.

Comment

"Whilst they had the complaint, the documentation from my initial query arrived through the post..... with the wrong address on it... My name, my post code, my house number - but the road name was completely wrong. Interestingly, someone had written on the envelope the correct road name with a question mark against it - as if they had worked out where it should have gone (Post office? wrong address posted to? who knows). Having opened it, the covering letter is the part with the wrong address, the documentation clearly had my correct address. I'm not entirely sure - but the envelope may have been opened (i have no way of proving is disproving this event) but you know when you open a self seal envelope, and whilst it sort of sticks back down - its never quite the same.. it was like that.."

The pertinent part of this is - what documentation have they sent you? Is there a copy agreement with T&Cs? If so there should be a date, but your post preceeding this one says you are not sure when the account was opened.

Sort this part out initially, and worry about the wrong address on the letter afterwards. A GDPR-related complaint is not going to make the account go away.
            Last edited by Still Waving; 26 July 2022, 15:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Waving View Post

The pertinent part of this is - what documentation have they sent you? Is there a copy agreement with T&Cs? If so there should be a date, but your post preceeding this one says you are not sure when the account was opened.

Sort this part out initially, and worry about the wrong address on the letter afterwards. A GDPR-related complaint is not going to make the account go away.
              So they sent me statement copies (although, not the usual pretty ones) from May 2020 until Apr 2021, and a credit card agreement printout - which has my name and address inserted into the introduction section, but no dates or anything like that.

Comment

Sorry, i was wondering what (if anything) i needed to do at this point?

Comment

Nothing at all, watch the football.
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by kp1602 View Post
                    Sorry, i was wondering what (if anything) i needed to do at this point?
                    Send the agreement print-out and any T&Cs (but not the statements) to webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk without blanking out any info. Niddy can cast an eye over it, to give an opinion as to validity/enforceability. It's quite secure and only he will see it. Head the email kp1602's CCA, and include a link back to this thread.

That's a first step, but assigned accounts can potentially have other issues too.

Comment

I'm curious and I think I know the answer, but why do I read threads that seem to drop off... Is it dark operators at work?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondpaddler2 View Post
                        I'm curious and I think I know the answer, but why do I read threads that seem to drop off... Is it dark operators at work?
                        Some people seem to glean information from this and other sites, and then decide to try to cobble it together to handle the process on their own. Their choice, but possibly misguided.

Comment

Working...
                        X