GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Student finance enlisted a debt agency to reclaim an over payment - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Student finance enlisted a debt agency to reclaim an over payment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student finance enlisted a debt agency to reclaim an over payment

Please can I have some advise. My daughter completed her final year at Uni in 2021. When we completed the details for her student finance, I her Mother and only parent, advised student finance that I have been furloughed and my income had dropped and I would be receiving 80% of my salary. However, after 3 months I returned to work and my employer was extremely busy, so much so that I was awarded a bonus at the end of the year which took my earning back up which when I submitted my p60 student finance said they had overpaid my daughter by £1500.00. My daughter asked if this could be added this to her overall student debt so she could pay back gradually. But this was declined and they sent the payment through to a debt recovery company who have said she has to pay it back within a year. This as you can imagine has sent her into melt down, she has just started her first job. Do we have to set up a payment plan or can I phone each month and make a payment to show willing, sometimes the amount will more than others, £30-£50 per month. But i don't want her rattled by this situation. Thank you

who is the debt collection company?

do a Diary for people to see, welcome by the way.
    • Type of account
    • Date commenced
    • Approx balance
    • Date last paid (approximate date you last made a FULL payment)
    • Are you on arrangement or not paying
    • Status
    debt collection companies will say anything by the way. do not talk them on phone all in writing but come on here first for advice etc.
    Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 13 April 2022, 08:16.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

The company is Advantis and we have not made any payment or set up an arrangement yet. She called them the other day to set up a £30 a month payment but they were very pushy and said she needed to pay more to clear the debt within a year. My daughter said she would go back to Student finance and left the call. But it left her in floods of tears and very shaken. What I can't understand is why this cant be added to her overall student debt?

Comment

I don't see that there is much they can do to force repayment within 12 months. The members here have all had creditors who would like the debts repaid sooner, but they usually don't get their way. Best not to engage with them over the phone, as they will attempt to bully money out of her, as you have found out.

You'll get further advice on how to proceed on this forum.

Comment

Harassment by Telephone just send this one to them, get proof posting (free) @ post office start a file date order of all communications, do the diary format as above. they cannot dictate a year, they are just trying with their early template threatograms no doubt, sure others will comment also, calm her and ask her to track this thread and she will get confidence to battle the bully desk jockeys no doubt.

Quote:- Advantis state on their website that they do not purchase debts from other companies. Instead, they provide debt collection services to other organisations and companies including British Gas and HMRC. they are only commission agents on the monies they collect by the way.
          Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 13 April 2022, 07:10.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Usually those that collect on behalf of others last approx 3months, if you do not engage with them then they usually pass it back to owner. Just ignore their waste paper letters.
            Post up if you feel you need too. It’s better to post and be reassured than to not post and be anxious.

Comment

Thank you everyone, your reply's which are very helpful and much appreciated- sorry had covid

Comment

Originally posted by Reading-22-08 View Post
                Thank you everyone, your reply's which are very helpful and much appreciated- sorry had covid
                No need to isolate from the forum

Comment

Working...
                X