GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Provident miselling - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Provident miselling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Provident miselling

Hi
    I am after some advice. around 10 years ago i started to borrow from provident. This went on for a couple of years, forever taking out top up or new loans . Eventually I defaulted and in 2015 it was sold to a debt purchaser . I had sent a CCA request previously which came back without T's and C's so in Oct 2015 I wrote to the debt purchaser saying it was in dispute and I did not acknowlede any debt to their company. i have heard nothing since. I owe about £1200

I have since been asked to make a misselling complaint but hesitate to as it might be seen as acknowledgment

What do you wonderful people think?

Hi

If you have not paid anything nor acknowledged the debt since October 2015, it seems to me that you are very close to the debt being Statute Barred. My first thought is that you should continue to keep a low profile. Others may have different views.

Who is the debt purchaser you referred to? It seems very odd that you say you heard nothing further simply because you said you did not acknowledge any indebtedness.

Who has asked you to make a mis-selling complaint?

A more detailed timeline of events and the agencies involved would be helpful.
    Last edited by Still Waving; 20 September 2021, 00:00.

Comment

• Type of account -
      • Date commenced -
      • Approx balance -
      • Date last 'full' payment -
      • Arrangement -
      for starters by date completed diary of events from the start:-
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

It is not as easy as saying it started then and finished then but here goes

I had a series pf doorstep loans with provident , basically as soon as I could re-loan I paid off the old loan and took more money. This all fell apart in about 2010, I then paid a token £1 a month for about a year . I then stopped paying all together. All in all over 3 or 4 loans outstanding I owed about £1200. This went through several debt collectors and eventually was sold to BCW. I sent a S77 request and got back the front page of the agreements (but not the back page- on the front it said refer to point x overleaf). In 2015 it was sold to another firm and I wrote saying something along the lines of 'I do not acknowledge any debt to your company and this account has been in dispute since BCW failed to comply with my S77 request. As such please respond saying you are closing the account.'

I have heard nothing more for almost 6 years. I am not even sure my last letter would have been seen as an acknowledgment. I have seen elsewhere that firms are using redress and compensation payments to trick people into accepting the debt
        The fact the current owners have never called or replied to me suggests they have closed the account or maybe returned it to BCW , after all I bet they paid just a few quid for it.

Recently Provident have been writing inviting me to make an affordability complaint for misselling which so far I have ignored. I have read on debt camels blog about misselling and often the amount received is a couple of pence in the £ so I wonder if it is worth it.

Comment

So far so good, but you seem reluctant to name the current owner ( the one you wrote to). People here may have some idea of how they operate, but if they are to remain a mystery what can we say?

Comment

Originally posted by Still Waving View Post
            So far so good, but you seem reluctant to name the current owner ( the one you wrote to). People here may have some idea of how they operate, but if they are to remain a mystery what can we say?
            Because I value my privacy and do not want to alert anyone- does it make a lot of difference? For all I know you might work for them

Comment

The Tech Clerk
              Request
              • Type of account -
              • Date commenced -
              • Approx balance -
              • Date last 'full' payment -
              • Arrangement -
              for starters by date completed diary of events from the start:-

The Diary format provides a background for MODS to make suggestions. It helps you and AAD.
              No two debts are the same.
              Personally I would be reluctant to advise or otherwise without more information hence The Diary format

Comment

If it keeps you happy

Type of account - Doorstep loan
                Date commenced various from 2008-2010
                Approx balance - 1200
                Date last 'full' payment - 2010
                Arrangement -Not paying

CCA request sent to BCW in 2014 , not complied with- incomplete paperwork

Sold on in 2015 and letter sent as advised in post above. I do not want to identify the current owner for privacy reasons

Last edited by Matty B; 20 September 2021, 19:21. Reason: Formatting

Comment

Working...
                X