GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Claims Advisory Group Closed, passed to DCA - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Claims Advisory Group Closed, passed to DCA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claims Advisory Group Closed, passed to DCA

Hi there, I am looking for some thoughts/advice on a situation I currently find myself in, for which I have already received conflicting advice.

Firstly, please believe me, I am well aware at what an idiot I've been using this PPI reclaim company. There is not a day goes by I don't kick myself!

So the situation is... I have had an arrangement with them since February 2016 to pay their fees by a continuous payment authority from my debit card for £10 a month. I have never missed a payment.

Last correspondence was September 2017 re-confirming this arrangement, because I had changed the debit card details, and a statement that they would contact me on a 6 monthly basis to review this arrangement.

I did not hear anything until 2 letters in the same envelope arrived dated 19th October 2018. One from them assigning the debt and the other from Merligen Investments (DCA) saying that the debt was assigned to them on 26th September 2018. Balance £402.20.

The continuous payment authority has not been cancelled and 2 more payments have gone out to CAG since this on 15th of Oct and Nov. The balance now stands at £382.20.

First advice was cancel the payment authority and call DCA to set up the arrangement with them instead. This may be my only option. I know companies can assign debt without recourse but I'm not happy at being forced into dealing with them when I have kept to my agreement.

I tried calling CAG, numbers all permanently engaged, and no website any more. Company is still registered as 'Active' on Companies House website.

So I did a bit of digging. The Claims Management Regulator confirmed they had cancelled Claims Advisory Group's authorisation in July 2018 and suggested I contact the Legal Ombudsman.

Unfortunately, as understanding as they were, they couldn't really help as because the company's authorisation is cancelled, they don't really have any power over them any more and suggested I contact CAB.

CAB advised to hold off contacting the DCA and write to CAG asking for an explanation as to what's going on and that I'm not in breech of my agreement and I'm still paying them, send the letter recorded, and leave the payment authority in place just now.

The situation there is if the letter bounces back then I know a little more as to the company's status, however it is a PO Box number and I'm not sure how recorded deliveries work in those circumstance.

I am inclined to go with the CAB option, but my main worry is that this is going to find it's way on to my credit report. Both assured me it wouldn't, but I've got a bunch of stuff about to drop off in the next 6 months or so and was so looking forward to having a clean slate.

Any thoughts or advice that anyone may have with regards to this would be greatly appreciated!!

Just as an aside, if it makes any difference, I am in Scotland.

Thanks...H
Working...
X