GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Barclaycard Open Account - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barclaycard Open Account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclaycard Open Account

Hi,

Hope anyone can help, please.

Barclaycard Credit Card
    Opened July 2013
    Last payment December 2013
    Original Credit Balance - £250

Charges and interest took it to £411 in September 2014 where it's remained at that level with 6s applied since then (first late payment was January 2014). Still showing as an open account today.

I think I may have foolishly written to them a couple of years to try and reduce the debt and claim back charges but they were having none of it, even though I was in no position to pay it.

I want to pay it off but need your advice on what's the best way to go about it to clean my rating up - need to get a loan for my parents, and I forgot this debt existed. I can't wait until 2020 for it to be statute barred. Is it a simple case of paying them in full and ask them to close the account? How can I least impact my future credit rating?

Any help massively appreciated.

Sorry, but even if you pay it off in full, they will not remove the account from your credit file.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thank you, Nightwatch. Appreciate it.

Any advice on getting Barclaycard to change the 6s to defaults? Will this even make a difference?

Comment

Have you had no contact from them over this account? It seems strange that you havn't in the last few years

If you have made no payments, then it should of been defaulted at least 6 months from the 1st missed payment,
        are you sure your credit file doesn't have a default date on it, they can still put missed payment markers even though it is defaulted,but it will show a default date,

The default will stay on for 6 years, 5 in scotland.then on the anniversay date of the default, it will drop of, pooff
        If you were to pay the debt off it will show settled but will still stay on your file for the 6 (5) years,

If it hasn't been defaulted you can raise a complaint with them ,
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks again.

It's definitely showing as an open account on all my credit reports definitely with no date of default; just 'late payment' account status since 2014.

The only contact I had was that written letter a couple of years ago asking to cancel the charges which almost doubled the debt. No other contact.

So if I pay, it'll stay on my file for 6 years from the point I pay (until year 2024) and if I don't pay, it'll only stay on until the 6 year mark from the date of default (year 2020) - provided they add the date of default to the account?

Comment

get a SAR request off to them (no cost) they have 30 days to respond might show more actual details?? I suggest> saves all the if!s & But!s

Comment

I agree with Techie, Send a GDPR,( General Data Protection Regulation) it is free,

Comment

Working...
              X