GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Car finance pickle. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car finance pickle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car finance pickle.

I've gotten myself into a little pickle and I hope someone can help me.

In November 2015 facing the birth of my son and a car death, I ended up getting a car on finance. Interest rate wasn't fantastic but I have a really crap credit rating so wasn't overly concerned. Fast forward to Sept 2016 and I am out of work. End up going back to college but a part time job falls through, and because my wife is a uni student we don't get any benefits except Child Tax Credits and Child Benefit.
    We struggle along keeping repayments going until March 2017 when I tell them I am out of work. I made a single payment around April to stop it going to the board of directors. In June I was offered a part time job, I sent a couple of e-mails to restart payments and heard nothing back, I then phoned them and was informed that it'd already been signalled for repossession and "payment wasn't an option."
    The car was removed at the end of July 2017. I'm back at college now for the next level. They've sent me a letter telling me car reached just over 2k at auction meaning I owe them 4.5k, but I can settle for 2.5k. I've written to them to explain that no car means no job, no job means no money. I've offered a token amount of £5 per month.
    Our only income is a joint claim for child tax credits, a joint claim for child benefits and my wife's student finance. I've already got one CCJ from a credit union loan because of the loss of income, the solicitors involved have accepted £5 a month, even though our outgoings actually exceed our income.

The debt is solely in my name if that makes any difference, I have an income and expenditure form to return. Realistically what out of our income can the take into account?

Many thanks.

JD
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Signature removed by site-admin. Please PM Niddy if you have any questions about why it's been removed.

Meany

Hi, I don't know anything about car finance, however extra details will be needed before anyone can help. How long was the finance for and how much had you paid off. Who was the finance through?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
      Hi, I don't know anything about car finance, however extra details will be needed before anyone can help. How long was the finance for and how much had you paid off. Who was the finance through?
      Hiya, it was over 4 years with about 16 months paid off. It was with advantage finance, organised through the dealer
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Signature removed by site-admin. Please PM Niddy if you have any questions about why it's been removed.

Meany

Comment

Working...
      X