GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Heading the Right Way! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heading the Right Way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heading the Right Way!

Gotchya! I think I would set it up as account balance returned to zero in that case on a CCA. As ours was business OD this didn't enter the frame. It would in DS's cases
    regards
    Garlok

Comment

Hmmm or settled default? Whatever though they don't and won't comply with any DN instructions as they know they don't have to thus meaning the debtor would need to initiate action; that they know the debtor would lose
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

As you say though being he has defaults it won't matter too much anyway will it?

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I think either way is the best you could get. By the way edit out the cetelco bit if you wish and want to use my text in that new thread, Might be better for all. I don't think it would change the sense of it much.

regards
          Garlok

Comment

good thread peeps.

I do have a small loan I could test this out on, a CDL iro £1400. So £140 F&F and see what 'appenz.

DS

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
              I see.

Heck Caspar, I guess you woz right after all
              Don't sound so surprised!

Comment

Mornin' Guys and Gals,

Dry and bright here the outlands of NW.

I hope DS that you can succeed with this. Slw but sure of your ground in my view is the key.

Can I be permitted to just emphasise a point in my text which is of practical relevance in the day to day stuff particularly banking and CCs. make sure you can access your account statements on line. Check them every day preferably at start of business and close of business. Make sure you print hard copy ofthe statements that show the transactions going through your account. Ask your benefactor to check their account and keep track of the cheques by hard copy.

In our case the cheques were put through our account 48hrs after they had left the sols offices, 4 days later the cheques cleared our benefactor's account. 7 days after the cheques had left the sols offices our account was still open but they had cut off any access to any transaction history from 24 hours AFTER those cheques had cleared the account (i.e. 72 hours after the cheques had left the sols offices). So it is wise counsel to get your hard copy evidence.

The cheeky B****RS one month after the transactions wrote asking where the cheques were that were referred to in the letter!!!! They did not refuse the F & F as required at law at all. P**S Off was the stern reply

They will try anything on, so be alert. Barclays mate!!

regards
                Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by caspar View Post
                  Don't sound so surprised!
                  Haha

Comment

Oh and by the way a cheeky DCA has emerged, many many months later threatening Armageddon over this who has now had a demand for a (tongue in cheek) six figure sum by way of financial redress for infringing the stringent terms and conditions of the F & F plus a demand for payment of our sols costs in full which I have asked them to inflate as high as possible!

Slithered back under their stone, The silence has been deafening. no surprises there then. You're all up for a drink with me and sols? .

regards
                    garlok

Comment

For those that are not massively familiar with case law here is something I've just come across:

In The Commissioners of Inland Revenue v Fry, Mrs Fry owed the Inland Revenue over £100,000. She had no assets or other means to pay this amount. Mr Fry wished that his wife avoided bankruptcy proceedings and so in May 1998 offered the Inland Revenue £10,000 in settlement of its claim. This was rejected by the Revenue in September 1998. However, no proceedings were brought and in May 1999 Mr Fry sent a cheque for £10,000 to the Revenue in full and final settlement. At the Inland Revenue, the procedure for dealing with all correspondence was that any enclosed cheques went one way to be banked and the letters went another way to be read. The cheque was therefore banked immediately. The letter was dealt with some four days later at which point the rejection of the offer was communicated to Mr and Mrs Fry. The Inland Revenue were still entitled to claim the full amount from Mrs Fry and treat the amount received as a payment on account.
                      In Bracken v Billinghurst an employer who had been awarded £45,000 as the result of an adjudication, told the building contractor on the other side that it would accept just £6,000 in settlement of this award. The other side decided to send a cheque to the employer for £5,000 in full and final settlement. However, in this case the covering letter stated that if the offer was not accepted the employer should return the cheque.
                      Timing was key in this case as two weeks passed before the employer cashed the cheque and wrote to the contractor rejecting the offer in settlement and furthermore stated that it would pursue them for the total award. The court held that this was too long a period for it to have held the cheque and not informed the contractor of its intentions. This delay, combined with the clear terms set out in the contractor's letter, meant that there had been accord and satisfaction (i.e. the debt had been settled at only £5,000).
                      This last case highlights the dangers present in this area and the importance of acting quickly. One cannot treat a sum received as a payment on account without informing the other party of this intention sufficiently quickly. Where you are the party making the lower offer you should be as clear as possible about the terms on which the cheque may be cashed. Nevertheless as can be seen from the cases mentioned above, the other side may still be able to accept the cheque as a payment on account as long as it responds swiftly. If this treatment of the offered amount is unacceptable to you then it may be prudent not to make the offer in this manner.
                      Finally, if such an offer is to be made directly by you, the client, rather than through lawyers, it is important to understand the significance of the terms on which the offer is made. In a recent case a dispute arose between a company, and a contractor who regularly provided services to the company. The company ordinarily paid the worker's fees by electronic transfer and subsequently, when advised to send a cheque in offer of full and final settlement, the company transferred the amount direct into the worker's bank account using its ordinary method of electronic transfer. Such a transfer did not require the other party to do anything to accept the money; indeed it would have required them to have actively transferred the funds back out in order to reject it. This would undoubtedly weaken any subsequent claim that the worker had accepted the sum in full and final settlement.

On a slightly different point, where the creditor has indicated acceptance and goes back on their word we should not forget the right of promissory estoppel.

Finally it is best if before paying a F&F you can ensure that the account is in dispute as the court will then look to see if a valid agreement has been reached and as already mentioned, the facts will be different in every case and so each case will rest on its own merits. If the debt is not disputed the creditor is far more likely to cash the cheque and write back to you immediately saying the payment is accepted on account.
                      Last edited by caspar; 19 June 2011, 10:09. Reason: typo

Comment

Hi Casp,

Thanks for raising this again. It is so important for people to realise what they are dealing with in F & Fs. Niddy has my full text on the subject which cluttered this this thread for a while. However if you look back at posts 42 and 43 on here you will see that there is a counter to "Fry".

As I know from PMs elsewhere the ordinary High Street solicitor will normally just quote "Fry" at you and tell you you have no chance. That is not true. I am living proof of that. But there are a couple of reasons why "Fry" fell in the end which Niddy will bring out in due course.

I think we should wait and see what Niddy's final take is on all this as with all respect to you some of the detail in your last paragraph worries me slightly.

regards
                        Garlok
                        Last edited by garlok; 19 June 2011, 09:00.

Comment

Finally it is best if before paying a F&F you can ensure that the account is in dispute as the court will then look to see if a valid agreement has been reached and as already mentioned, the facts will be different in every case and so each case will rest on its own merits. If the debt is not disputed the creditor is far more likely to cash the cheque and write back to you immediately saying the payment is accepted on account.
                          right well this changes finks summut dun' it? my debt to the lenders is not in dispute, I owe 'em the £ and have been paying 'em regular for 5 years since they defaulted me. Very pleased they didn't AP me though

so where does this leave me in trying the "Garlok Manoeuvre" with the F&F?

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
                            right well this changes finks summut dun' it? my debt to the lenders is not in dispute, I owe 'em the £ and have been paying 'em regular for 5 years since they defaulted me. Very pleased they didn't AP me though

so where does this leave me in trying the "Garlok Manoeuvre" with the F&F?
                            Noooo - please, I don't want to start ripping posts apart but this info is quite inaccurate for general purpose - please, for the moment ignore this comment.

I'm too busy with site issues right now to get into this but suffice to say, it's not what I would suggest - but that is because it may be an isolated incident in which worked for one person, generally speaking it is not accurate.

I thought we said not to try that manoeuvre especially after we started quoting parts of case law that would defeat it, ie Fry for instance!

Comment

Casp, mate - this isn't entirely factual, a court will not take any consideration of dispute - the facts are facts.

If the court is prohibited from making a judgment due to fault (i.e. s.78), then granted. Otherwise they can make a normal judgment whether or not it is disputed. It is only OFT "Guidance" that suggests that lenders 'back-off' when an account is in dispute, legally speaking it doesn't matter one iota whether you dispute it or not - that is why a lender will say to the judge, well as the customer disputed the debt we brought action.

Basically, never rely on a judge or a court for such things - it is quite uniquely a case-by-case specific as you pointed out. Regards to the lender adding it to account unless disputed, this is unfounded mate - ie there is nothing legally or otherwise that suggests this to be the case - yes, the lender can do this with a disputed account or a normal account - it'd not really matter, and the only way you'd get anywhere is for you to take action, which is what we're saying - is very expensive, is very risky and is very likely to lose in light of Fry et al....

Comment

thanks for clarifying that - and also your recommendation not to try the F&F manouevre.

Comment

Working...
                                X