GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Hi, new here, trying to sort out a DMP, would welcome advice - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi, new here, trying to sort out a DMP, would welcome advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hi, new here, trying to sort out a DMP, would welcome advice

Sunnylooloo
    Post subject: Re: Hi, new here, trying to sort out a DMP, would welcome ad
    PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:15 pm
    Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Kagey - Hi again!

I really can't understand why they are not accepting the lower payments? Obv they are under no obligation to, but in my experience my creditors at least all accepting lower payments for a short period of time 6 - 12 months.

Comment

Thanks. We knew the mortgage holiday was a temporary fix at the time but it helped us open a new bank account without an overdraft, so that we could start to sort things out and put ourselves in a position where we had enough money to make some sort of lower repayments! For us it was a good move at the time.

I have been on the CCCS website and filled in the budget form and received a debt remedy plan, when my husband was still working last year. We chose to try and sort out lower repayments to creditors ourselves for some flexibility based on advice from another debt forum.

We'll look into the UE. I'm just exhausted by reading all these messages and threads and nothing makes sense anymore, I think I've understood it and then find I'm wrong (see above!) I also have a family to look after and can't spend all my time reading forums. We already don't answer the phone at all anymore but just have it on silent all the time. We do reply to all letters in writing, despite being repeatedly accused by creditors of not contacting them (just because we won't telephone them!). I think most or all creditors have now issued default notices to us, asking for all arrears or they will call in the whole loan.

Everyone is very helpful here and on other forums I have posted on but when I ask for advice I have to recap every single letter I have posted as no one can remember what has happened previously so the advice given is not always correct! Forgive me, this is not a criticism, I totally understand, given the number of people posting, but I have to get the file out each time and type all the details and I just find this all hard work. If it was just me and I had no family, I'd just say to them come and take it all away, I'll go and live in a cardboard box, I've had enough.

When you say everything runs through your diary, what do you mean? Is there an online diary?

We have taken a week or so off over Christmas but now the letters are piling up and we need to reply. Fingers crossed husband will start a new job end of this week then we will have some figures to play with. Have felt we are in limbo in the meantime.

Comment

Sunnylooloo
        PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:32 pm
        Super Moderator
        Super Moderator

Hi Kagey

People that are going through UE keep an uptodate diary. I've just started mine, before that I just had my DMP thread which I kept updated.

In my own personal experience I found it easy to stick to one forum to the advice I needed, and this is how I found this fourm, I may dip in and out of others but this is where I write things down and get advice.

I am so sorry you feel at the end of your tether, and it is hard when you are trying to keep up a family life as well........

There will be solution. It is all very time consuming I know and I know the phone calls and letters get very very wearing.... but please be strong and you will get there.

Just remember we have all been there where you are thinking there is no way out.

xx

Sunnylooloo is a member of this forum's moderator team. If you spot abuse on these forums or an issue that needs addressing, then please PM or email me - sunnylooloo@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

evenlessdopey
          PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:45 pm
          Global Moderator
          Global Moderator

Ignore the arrears notices, they are all computer generated anyway. After they default and finally terminate your account they should stop interest. the worst offenders with interest appear to be the state own banks, Halifax have only now stopped interest and charges on our account, a year after we couldn't pay. Have a relax, look at the debt remedy and there is also another company that does free DMPs Payplan, so you might want to have a look at their website as well, they work slightly differently to CCCS so worth a look. If you are sending payments regularly, please continue to do that for the moment, one thing to be aware of is the amount you are sending, if you are very near to the original minimum payment, they very rarely stop interest because basically "the computer says no", so please do a proper budget and don't try to send as much as you can, send what you can properly afford. If I were you I would send £1 token payment for now, they have to accept that if you are in financial hardship.

Evenlessdopey is a member of this forum's moderator team. If you spot abuse of these forums or an issue that needs addressing, then please PM me or email me: evenlessdopey@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

kagey
            PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:54 pm
            Starting Out
            Starting Out

We are unable to send payments at the moment as my husband is out of work! We calculated lower payments pro rata with CCCS advice in June and have sent them every month since then, til my husband's contract ended on 24th Dec. I have files for all creditors with all communication in there and records of all payments sent.
            We sent them letters at xmas stating no work so can't pay. Not heard anything back re. that yet. Should I wait to hear from them or should I write at the beginning of next month with token payment of £1 each or should I wait for new job to start (hopefully end of this week) and first salary to go in (prob in just over a month) so we have an idea how much we'll have to play with and then go through CCCS to work out pro rata payment again?

Our creditors are Santander card and Santander loan (used to be Cahoot loan, not sure what the card was now!), Sainsburys, M&S money, Next, MBNA, HFC. Total amounts to over £28000.

Comment

roomtobreathe
              PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:57 pm
              Starting Out
              Starting Out

Just understand that this is their tactics. They don't care one iota about you, they just want their cut and will do almost anything to get it. However, once you understand what powers they have things become so much brighter, you realise that you are in control, not them.

They are under no obligation to stop interest, charges etc but the fact that I've gone through CCCS means that it will look bad should they try and involve the courts.

CCCS provided a letter template which I sent off to all my creditors. Job done.

Phone calls? If they're 0845 I don't answer them. My mobile just sends selected numbers the busy tone! If it's important then they'll write. There are templates available on this site which may get some creditors to stop phoning.

They're just keeping the pressure on and trying to minimise their losses. I believe that if and when they sell debts on they do so for between 6 and 16% of what's outstanding. ( someone correct me if I'm wrong! ) So to load it up is in their interest regardless of whether it's moral or even legal.

As long as you get proof that you've sent the letters then it really doesn't matter if they reply or not. Just keep making the payments you can afford. Never talk to them on the phone, they will use the opportunity to pressurise you into making payments you cannot afford.

Same here although only one has put it onto my credit record, so far anyway! Defaulting is a process they go through before they can take any other action other than sending you begging letters. Nothing to worry about.

At the end of the day if you don't have it then you can't pay it. So don't worry about it so much that it feels as though it's the end of the world. I felt the same initially. Once you realise that you're not alone then the sun will break through and cheer your day.

Last edited by roomtobreathe on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comment

swanfan
                PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:59 pm
                Global Moderator
                Global Moderator

When Eld & LooLoo talk about diaries they mean Unenforceability Diaires here--> viewforum.php?f=49

It would be an idea to offer 1 pound token payments even though a new job is coming it will give you extra time, for a letter for this see here--> viewtopic.php?p=23363#p23363

And i don't want the world to see me, cos i don't think they'd understand.
                When everything's made to be broken, i just want you to know who i am.

Comment

kagey
                  PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:00 pm
                  Starting Out
                  Starting Out

We were sticking to one forum then someone on there directed us to this one. We followed all the advice given on that forum to the T and now find advice given here in different. As novices we don't know what we should be doing and can only read as much as possible (can't read anymore!) and follow advice kindly given.

Comment

Thank you very much for the links, that is very helpful

Comment

I have tried sending a letter to two of the companies, saying I will report them for harrassment due to telephone calls, it made no difference and they haven't even referred to the letters! I will look into blocking 0845 numbers on our landline and hubbie's mobile. We don't answer them anyway.
                      We get proof of postage for all letters as I can't send them all recorded, it would cost a fortune.

Comment

roomtobreathe
                        PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:05 pm
                        Starting Out
                        Starting Out

I took a whole years mortgage holiday.

All it meant was that the credit cards upped their rates to over 30% meaning that the balance was increasing at a tremendous rate and there was now no way to get back on track. At the end of the day it was an opportunity for them to increase the debt.

If you've worked through your income and expenditure using the guidelines from someone like the CCCS and there's nowt left then just send the nominal £1, just make sure you keep the payments going. Your creditors' bark really is worse than their bite.

Comment

swanfan
                          PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:10 pm
                          Global Moderator
                          Global Moderator

Is it possible for you to change phone numbers, mobile & landline?

A few people on here have done so it stops the creditors harrassing you on the phone.

Swanfan is a member of this forum's moderator team. If you spot abuse of these forums or an issue that needs addressing then please PM or Email me- swanfan@all-about-debt.co.uk
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And i don't want the world to see me, cos i don't think they'd understand.
                          When everything's made to be broken, i just want you to know who i am.

Comment

Thanks, that's a good idea, I'm looking into it right now!

Comment

Sunnylooloo
                              PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:54 pm
                              Super Moderator
                              Super Moderator

Good luck Kagey, just remember we are here to listen and help where we can - even if it is just some support.

I know when I first started out the letters and phone calls really scared me and I felt yep they would be round to my house taking everything I owned..... but once you have the correct information and you know how to deal with these companies it is a huge weight lifted.

I know sometimes it feels like you are repeating yourself and you just feel you are getting nowhere, but honestly you can and will sort things out.

Comment

wishfullthinking
                                PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:32 pm
                                Forum Learner
                                Forum Learner

i went to the cccs had an interview over the phone was told i could set up a dmp for £165 per month,but needed the full balence of what i owed orange anyway took a couple of months to sort orange wrang cccs again had another interview only to be told by a guy called micheal that i needed at least 400 per month,when i challenged him he said that cccs was no longer accepting people onto dmp who will take longer than 10 years to clear debt,hope this helps clear up a bit of the confusion,however the next person i spoke to said it wasnt a problem and sugessted a low start dmp

Comment

Working...
                                X