GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Power2Contact - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power2Contact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power2Contact

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
    we need to check them before any get used as the wording is key.

You know me.
    You've asked me previously if you can use the above in the templates section. I thought you already had

The letter quotes from the latest revision of the OFT guidelines so feel free to plagiarize if you like it!
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
      This is the link to the harrassment/doorstep threat template ---> Our Templates | Harassment & Intimidation Templates | Harassment by Telephone

I thought SnV was referring to something more targetted for those who have been diagnosed with conditions like depression, stress, etc.
      Yes its for a specific scenario - where a debtor has tried to come to a payment arrangement which has been rejected, and then the creditor threatens doorstep collection visits.

Its a 'practice' that is really frowned upon by the OFT, especially where there is a likelyhood of intimidation/harassment.

In the OP's case they have sent I/E twice and, if suffering from depression, the likelyhood of stress is significantly more.

In this situation OFT664 is a really useful tool, and I have used this type of breach myself to secure compensation from both Amex and BOS.

Best
      SnV
      "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

listen to all above Alex follow Niddy to the letter and you will be more han fine ...Honest xxxxx
        if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
          listen to all above Alex follow Niddy to the letter and you will be more han fine ...Honest xxxxx
          Alex,

Most of us have a basket full of these letters from P2C. Their only aim is to scare you. Don't let them. As Niddy says, just Chill.

Comment

Hi Alex,

Just wanted to reinforce what the others have said.

I know it is a scary situation, especially as you are not feeling strong. Please follow Niddy and the other's advice - if you do answer the door explain that you are dealing with Barclaycard and you have the matter in hand. If it helps, print off a copy of the "doorstep visit" template and shove it under their nose.

If you do decide to confron them, rather than not answer the door, just try to think of all us supporting you in this - it should make you feel slightly less alone.

Best of luck. xxx

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
              feel free to plagiarize if you like it!
              Thanks mate - will need to add it....

Cheers
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I've added tags so will come back for the template next time I do site updates - still working on another of the sites for now...

Thanks
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thank you all for replying back and responding with such support. My severe chronic depression slowly started not long after my accident at work, that along with the chronic nerve pain was difficult but with the debt spiralling out of control its not helped matters. Barclaycard are aware of my mental state and I have told them that I have GP s letters and Therapy/Mental health letters to prove it. I suppose the cold calculated truth is money speaks louder than paper and words, especially when you have no idea where you stand in the eyes of the law. I mean I'm not asking to be given any special circumstance or anything, just that they sympathise and helped in the first place when I pleaded with them to renegotiate the original repayment. I had asked them on several occasion to freeze the interest, they told me they would but every time they never did.

A question I wanted to ask, I had found a template (below) should I send that one and SaltnVinegars template or just SaltnVinegars one.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Account Ref xxxx

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing. I have noted your repeated attempts to contact me by telephone over the past few weeks/months and these have been duly logged by time and date.

Furthermore, should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make such an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v Sheppard & Short Ltd [1959] 2 QB 384. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and, if you do so, you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Thank you again.

Comment

No, send SnV's only, do not send the above one at this stage

Comment

Thanks for very quick reply again thank you all so very much

Comment

Send this below...

Dear Sirs,

Account number: xxxxxxxx

I am writing to you regards you letter dated xx/xx/xxxx

Let me make my position on doorstep visits clear:
                        1. As a ‘customer’ of yours I do not wish to receive or accept your doorstep collection service, nor do I wish to arrange an appointment with one of your representatives.

2. I will discuss this matter in writing ONLY. I will not discuss anything with a field based agent and should any of your representatives visit my property they will be asked to leave and the police will be called immediately.

I am disappointed to note that an affiliate of Barclaycard also conducts itself in a manner in breach of OFT guidelines on debt collection.

It is Barclaycards responsibility to make you fully aware of the circumstances surrounding this account, and consequently you should be aware of my payment offers to Barclaycard which are based upon my income and expenditure and calculated in the Common Financial Statement standard.

You should also be fully aware that it is a breach of OFT guidelines (3.13.f) to threaten to visit debtors without prior agreement when an account is in dispute or deadlocked. For the avoidance of doubt and clarification I refer you to the OFT's definition of a deadlocked account in Appendix A of their debt collection guidelines:

"Where we refer to discussions about debt repayment being 'deadlocked' we mean that a debtor (or the debtors representative) has acknowledged (the debtors) liability for a debt and has proposed a payment programme - but the proposed payment programme is not acceptable to the debt recovery business (or the creditor if not pursuing recovery of repayment of the debt in its own behalf )..............we do not consider it appropriate for the business to engage in any conduct intended to, and/or likely to, have the effect of intimidating the debtor into increasing his repayment offer..........................for example, following receipt of an unacceptable offer from a debtor, the debt recovery business immediately communicates to the debtor that it will be 'sending field agents to visit"

I therefore consider your letter of xx/xx/xxxx to be a direct breach of the guidance given by the OFT and any further breaches on your part will be reported to the appropriate regulatory bodies, including but not limited to the OFT, Trading Standards and the FOS.

I also now formally advise you that any such visits will be followed up to the full extent of the law; a Police complaint for any trespass, which, if it occurs, will result in my seeking an Injunctive Relief Order from the courts. This means any visits would be classed as a criminal offence (contempt of court) and would be subject to fines and/or custodial sentencing.

Be advised that I will consider any further correspondence threatening doorstep visits, or an actual visit from one of your field representatives as harassment and will consider you in breach of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 and will consider legal proceedings accordingly.

I specifically draw your attention to the relevant parts of the Act namely:

1 Prohibition of harassment
                        (1) A person must not pursue a course of conduct—
                        (a) which amounts to harassment of another, and

(b) which he knows or ought to know amounts to harassment of the other.

(2) For the purposes of this section, the person whose course of conduct is in question ought to know that it amounts to harassment of another if a reasonable person in possession of the same information would think the course of conduct amounted to harassment of the other.

In relation to the section (2) identified above I refer you to the recent court case of Harrison v Link Financial [2011] EWHC B3

Although you may claim as per Section 1.3.c of this act "that in the particular circumstances the pursuit of the course of conduct was reasonable" the OFT guidelines quoted above demonstrate that the OFT would consider threatening to visit debtor when an account is in deadlock an unfair business practice, consequently your pursuit of the course of action could not possibly be considered reasonable.

I trust that clarifies my position and that you will desist in making further such threats and refer this account back to Barclaycard to address the matter in hand, that is the acceptance of my reasonable payment offer

Regards

SIGN DIGITALLY (NOT HAND SIGN)

Comment

Ok thank you I will send the above Monday morning

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
                            Ok thank you I will send the above Monday morning
                            Ok, keep us updated

Comment

Dear members,

Ok might seem paranoid but I want you guys to check make sure everything is right so I have attached the final letter. With the "Digitally Signing" I over typed my name using a fancy word text, is that correct? Actually Adobe auto signed it for me and chose a nice font.

I'll keep you posted, again thank you for all your support.
                              Last edited by Numpty Monkey; 7 October 2012, 11:28. Reason: Removed The PDF link, maybe a bit to much info for the public forum

Comment

Looks fine, try not to worry, I have had a visit from p2p and he pissed off quickly when I opened the door holding back the dog(who would have licked him to death), he was down the drive faster that you could say go. Barclaycard have since sold on that debt, the visit was about two years ago, so not worth getting in a stew about, really!

Comment

Working...
                                X