GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script LCS for Scottish Power - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LCS for Scottish Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCS for Scottish Power

Hi All
    As I thought I was on top of things this morning i received a letter from LCS credit management and debt recovery agents relating to a Scottish Power account at our property.
    Now the letter states we owe scottish power money between the 31/11/2019 and the 13/01/2020 we have never had a scottish power account and transferred our British gas account from our hold house.
    only thing I can think is the old owners had scottish power and we used it for a month before British Gas took over. Thing is we have not received any scottish power letters or correspondence at all. So this is out the blue. Has anyone else had this and can any recommend what to do?
    the LCS letter has reference numbers however doesn't state how much is owed ! Any advice I would appreciate as I'm happy to pay it if they prove it although I have no other information from them and dont want to call !!

write to them with their reference numbers and state never had account with them on moving you retained your own supplier but the previous owners may of been Scottish power customers ! send and get proof of posting. keep copies of correspondence.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by batchy_21 View Post
      the letter states we owe scottish power money between the 31/11/2019 and the 13/01/2020 we have never had a scottish power account and transferred our British gas account from our hold house.
      only thing I can think is the old owners had scottish power and we used it for a month before British Gas took over.

This is one occasion when a quick phone call could be helpful to you (use 'number withheld' to protect your privacy).

Simply tell them you're baffled to get their letter because you have never had an account with Scottish Power. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't get into a conversation. Maybe draw attention to the letter not even stating the amount they feel is due, and suggest this may be an error. Then politely say Goodbye and hang up.

It's possible that Scottish Power were the supplier at the address before you moved in, and the bill may cover the period from when you moved in until British Gas took over the supply which might have taken a few weeks. In the meantime you may have been responsible for what is known as 'deemed contract'.

It's also possible that this is nothing whatsoever to do with you.

Do you know the date when your British Gas account started, and is there a bill showing whether it was opened on an accurate meter reading or an estimate?

Did you also get a Final Bill from British Gas when you moved out of your old property?

They would have closed one account and then opened a new one at your new address.

Di

Comment

Thanks everyone. It would seem that I was in a deemed contract with Scottish power as I contacted British gas and it didn't start until the 14th Jan. I still had no idea as scottish power never contacted me or even sent a to the occupier letter. I have.since contacted scottish power who want to charge 250 pounds electric for 6 weeks !!!. They have raised a complaint so hopefully it will be resolved without LCS.

Comment

It would seem that I was in a deemed contract with Scottish power as I contacted British gas and it didn't start until the 14th Jan. I still had no idea as scottish power never contacted me or even sent a to the occupier letter. I have.since contacted scottish power who want to charge 250 pounds electric for 6 weeks !!!. They have raised a complaint so hopefully it will be resolved without LCS.

Raising a complaint with Scottish Power is a wise thing to do, so they will call off the Debt Collection Agency.

£250 does seem to be a lot of money for six weeks' electricity. Was this Dual Fuel for both gas and electric, and if so you should have been offered a discount.

Ask them for bills, meter readings (not estimates) etc and when (what date) the deemed contract started in case the outgoing occupier was a little economical with the truth.

If they don't recalculate and/or write off some of the amount then you can escalate your complaint to Ombudsman Services - Energy. Here's how you can do that > https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy

Di

Comment

Thanks Di. It is high considering it's only for electric ! As I dont have gas. Someone is contacting me on Friday to discuss the complaint. They stated they will send the Bill in the post with a break down. So will see. Very poor they went straight to LCS without even sending any correspondence

Comment

Thanks Di.

Very poor they went straight to LCS without even sending any correspondence

Which gives you the moral high ground when it comes to negotiating

Plus the threat of you taking your complaint to the Ombudsman which will cost Scottish Power a couple of hundred pounds to be investigated even if your complaint is not upheld.

Is it a smart meter at the property? They have known issues when it comes to accuracy.

Not that long ago Scottish Power were fined by Ofgem for their billing procedure, and had to pay £18 million in redress to customers, but they seem not have learnt from that > https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/file...lty_notice.pdf

And only last year their regulator took further steps to investigate Scottish Power's and their Complaints Procedure > https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publication...aints-handling

Let's see what happens next.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Mayhew View Post

Which gives you the moral high ground when it comes to negotiating

Plus the threat of you taking your complaint to the Ombudsman which will cost Scottish Power a couple of hundred pounds to be investigated even if your complaint is not upheld.

Is it a smart meter at the property? They have known issues when it comes to accuracy.

Not that long ago Scottish Power were fined by Ofgem for their billing procedure, and had to pay £18 million in redress to customers, but they seem not have learnt from that > https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/file...lty_notice.pdf

And only last year their regulator took further steps to investigate Scottish Power's and their Complaints Procedure > https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publication...aints-handling

Let's see what happens next.

Di
                Interesting reading ! Clearly haven't learnt their lesson thank you will see what they say

Comment

Is it a smart meter?

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Mayhew View Post
                    Is it a smart meter?

Di
                    No it isn't so have no idea where they got any reading from unless its estimated

Comment

So Scottish power have apologised for their poor service and not contacting me before instructing LCS. They therefore as a gesture of good will have decided to clear the balance and have told LCS it has been settled so no further action from me is required. Still annoyed with how they have behaved, however at least I dont have to pay them anything. Will see if LCS have got the memo and await a letter !!

Comment

Scottish power have apologised for their poor service and not contacting me before instructing LCS. They therefore as a gesture of good will have decided to clear the balance

Result!

Well Done for managing that situation so well - sometimes you can get what you want without being confrontational.

Scottish Power say they've written off the balance as a 'gesture of goodwill', but a small part of me wonders whether you actually owed the amount in the first place, which only became clear when they looked closer at the file following your complaint.

Case closed

Di

Comment

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help and support always nice to win !!

Comment

Working...
                            X