GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Link chasing a CCJ from 2006 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Link chasing a CCJ from 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link chasing a CCJ from 2006

I got a phone call in April from Link Financial saying they were chasing a CCJ from I think they said MBNA from 2006. I told them they’d got the wrong person and put the phone down. I’d already given them my DOB by now as I actually thought they were calling about something else!
    Heard nothing until I got two letters from Link dated Sept 2 saying two amounts from HFO services and that they have not written to me for some time as they had to locate my address and for me to call them?
    I haven’t paid anything on these debts and they are very old, what should I do?

give more detail of alleged debt in a Diary = opened with XXX type account. -- ccount-- last paid >? etc etc last interaction etc
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Oppo1999 View Post
      I got a phone call in April from Link Financial saying they were chasing a CCJ from I think they said MBNA from 2006. I told them they’d got the wrong person and put the phone down. I’d already given them my DOB by now as I actually thought they were calling about something else!
      Heard nothing until I got two letters from Link dated Sept 2 saying two amounts from HFO services and that they have not written to me for some time as they had to locate my address and for me to call them?

Hello

May I ask you a few questions in an attempt to to establish your legal position before making any suggestions as to your next steps.

First of all do you recognise either of the debts mentioned in these two (separate?) letters from Link dated 2nd September 2019?

Are either of the letters specific about who was the original creditor in each case?

Is this (phone call from Link in April) the first time you've been made aware that there was a CCJ in 2006 stating MBNA as the Judgment Creditor (Claimant) which would be unusual in my experience since MBNA tend to assign their delinquent accounts to a debt purchaser who then issues a claim?

If not, have you made, or continue to make, any payments to anyone in respect of this CCJ (if it exists)?

Sorry for all the questions but in order for me to help you I need to have a bit more information.

No need to start a new Diary thread unless you have other debts to sort.

Let's deal with your current situation on this thread.

I look forward to helping you.

Di
      Last edited by Joanna Connolly Solicitors; 8 September 2019, 18:29.

Comment

Unfortunately I can’t give too much detail as it’s been so long. I’m presuming these are credit card debts from when I had to close my business and had my house repossessed in 2007.
        I may well have been aware of the CCJs back in 2007 but since I had my house repossessed I had nothing else I could give at the time.
        The last actual payments would have been around 2007.
        On the call they mentioned chasing a CCJ from MBNA but the two letters state originator as HFO services limited
        One for £8205 and one for £1959.

Comment

Unfortunately I can’t give too much detail as it’s been so long. I’m presuming these are credit card debts from when I had to close my business and had my house repossessed in 2007.
          I may well have been aware of the CCJs back in 2007 but since I had my house repossessed I had nothing else I could give at the time.
          The last actual payments would have been around 2007.
          On the call they mentioned chasing a CCJ from MBNA but the two letters state originator as HFO services limited
          One for £8205 and one for £1959.

These alleged debts being so long ago may be fortunate not unfortunate

Could one of these alleged debts be in relation to the repossession in 2007 such as a shortfall from the lender's subsequent sale of the property perhaps below market value at auction?

Alternatively if they relate to debts/CCJs from 12 years ago then the current debt owner (possibly Link) would need to make an Application to the court if they want to enforce them, and have a jolly good reason for not seeking enforcement earlier in order for their application to be successful.

Does the name HFO services mean anything to you? This could flag up assignment issues.

Di

Comment

Hi Di

I don’t know HFO services or I didn’t until today and it appears Link bought their debts in 2015. They may have sent me letters over the years but it’s been years since I remember seeing anything and I have been on the electoral roll for a least the last 9 years in three separate addresses, the first few years after I was repossessed maybe not. There is nothing on my current credit file.

I can’t even remember who got paid and whether there was a shortfall from the house repossession. I walked away and started to rebuild again so I thought it was all behind me!

Comment

Hi Di

I don’t know HFO services or I didn’t until today and it appears Link bought their debts in 2015. They may have sent me letters over the years but it’s been years since I remember seeing anything and I have been on the electoral roll for a least the last 9 years in three separate addresses, the first few years after I was repossessed maybe not. There is nothing on my current credit file.

I can’t even remember who got paid and whether there was a shortfall from the house repossession. I walked away and started to rebuild again so I thought it was all behind me!

Maybe these debts are all behind you

In 2015 HFO Services sold off all their debt book as a result of an agreement with the FCA > https://www.fca.org.uk/news/statemen...nd-hfo-capital

Shall I assume that the letters from Link didn't say who the original creditors were even though the caller told you one was a CCJ from MBNA?

My first thoughts are to ignore Link's letters unless they threaten legal proceedings.

A CCJ from more than six years ago will not be registered with Trust Online now, nor will it be on your CRA file.

You don't have to prove these debts don't exist - Link has to prove that they do.

Di

Comment

Hi Di

Many thanks for this. I did get from the tone of the letter Link were somewhat ‘chancing their arm’.
                As you intimate there is no mention of MBNA in the letter just HFO.
                I will therefore ignore the letter unless and until there threaten to go to legal.

Many thanks

Comment

I’d love to know what Link bought that debt for given HFO were compelled to get rid of it!!

Comment

I’d love to know what Link bought that debt for given HFO were compelled to get rid of it!!
                    My guess would be 10p in the pound maximum.

Di

Comment

And today came a letter offering 70% discount!!

Comment

when you get a letter like that you just know they are on a looser
                        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

And today came a letter offering 70% discount!!

One letter for each of the two debts?

Another AAD member contacted me this morning having received a similar 70% discount letter.

However this was for a debt on which Link had issued court proceedings three years ago but discontinued (i.e. lost) so the forum member doesn't owe them a bean let alone 30% of the debt

I think you can safely ignore those letters, but keep in touch if they contact you again.

Di

Comment

Hi Di
                            Identical letter for each one!

Comment

Hi Di

Many thanks for this. I did get from the tone of the letter Link were somewhat ‘chancing their arm’.
                              As you intimate there is no mention of MBNA in the letter just HFO.
                              I will therefore ignore the letter unless and until there threaten to go to legal.

Have you heard anything more from Link Financial?

Di

Comment

Working...
                              X