STA DCA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STA DCA

Hi Guys, Just wondered if anyone has had any experience with a company called "STA International" My grandson is at university and was in Arlington Student Lodging. His Mom was taken poorly again and he had to return home to care for her. He gave notice that he was leaving and paid in full up to when he left. Arlington are demanding £1890 to pay up until August although he left and gave notice in April. He was paid up till then in full. Arlington have passed it to STA stating he signed up till August. STA are asking for full payment. I contacted Arlington and explained what happened but they did not want to know. Any advice would be appreciated. Regards Paezman

Hi
    From what I can work out Arlington have bought several student accommodation blocks in the UK. When your grandson moved in he will have signed for a certain length of time , I think many of these contracts are for say 48 weeks which gives them 4 weeks to deep clean and repair the rooms before the next lot move in.

I am assuming he has left the university or at least deferred. Has he spoken to the Uni bout the accommodation as they may be able to intervene.

I am sorry if I can't be of more help

Comment

Hi Warwick65, thanks for the reply. Yes that is right, signed till August but health issues re his mom have caused unforeseen issues and he moved back home to help look after her. He sent GP and medication information and spoke to them to show it was genuine but Arlington did not want to know. They passed to STA the DCA. Not sure how we proceed as neither him nor his mom are in any position to pay it. Do you think it best to wait or rep-ly to STA? cheers Pezman

Comment

Assuming the University were understanding of the issues and he has left or deferred I would get in touch with them. They will, I expect, have arrangements in place; the company provides accommodation for their students and bad publicity is not good. Maybe name and shame the university if they do not help

Comment

Hi I have gone through your post regarding the university issue. I think has left the university or at least deferred. Has he spoken to the University about the accommodation .yes till the month you have lived in the university you have paid its right As well as a regarding the family health issue they want to give support to left the university.And I think that they may expect, have arrangements in place the company provides accommodation for their students and bad publicity is not good.

Comment

Hi, thanks Warwick and jhon for the replies. It is appreciated. My Grandson is still at the university in his final year. He spoke to Arlington about the situation back in April but they did not want to know. He had paid up to the point he left (April 2019) but they say he signed up until August so he must pay another £1890, neither of them have this money.. He left in April when his mother became ill and lost her employment. He tried to do the right think and advertised the room on Facebook student accommodation page but he had no takers. He is back at Uni in Sept and is very concerned about what to do. STA International are chasing them both for the money as his mom went Guarantor so he could be more independent. He lost his father when he was 12 through suicide and this obviously had a devastating impact on them both. I am again concerned for my daughters well being and emotional health. Do you suggest I contact Arlington or the Uni or both? Again many thanks

Comment

I really am sorry to sound like a broken record but yes- talk to the Uni, however they will probably not be able to talk to you without your grandson's written consent (or possibly consent over the phone at the time). This is to protect them as well as your Grandson.

I take it he is repeating his final year or was he one of those lucky enough not to have exams so could submit essays and other assignments after the Easter break

Comment

Does your grandson have a copy of the agreement, if so have we read the small print to actually see if there are any accepted reasons for leaving student accommodation part or mid way through year?

I would also recommend speaking with student services at the uni to see what if anything they can do?

Comment

Thanks Timewilltell, I am making inquiries into this and trying to get a copy of the agreement. I appreciate your suggestions. Many thanks

Comment

Hi Guys, thank you all for the advice you have given. I have indeed contacted STA and the university, I have explained the home circumstances and the family background re health issues and the loss of his father. I have asked them to write off the debt (AAD Template) due to the family circumstances and my concern re my daughters health. . My grandson has now started back at his final year, we have not heard anything from either the university, Arlington or STA DCA. I realise this is still very early on but I am hoping they may show some understanding. I will update when I hear anything further. Many thanks for you help and support so far. PezMan65

Comment

Working...
                    X