GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Owed Council Tax - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Owed Council Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owed Council Tax

Hi

I'm owed a refund of council tax (from my previous home). They calculated the amount about 7 weeks ago and despite me raising a query with them about 2 weeks ago, I've had radio silence.

I want to issue a Letter Before Action/Claim (from me as an individual to the local authority) but not sure what format it should take. Can anyone offer any advice, please.

Thanks

Seems a bit heavy-handed, it's a local authority, they're not going to abscond during the night with their ill-gotten gains.

Do you know what amount is due for refund, and if so is it a realistic proposition to proceed to lodging a claim at court, taking into account the fees, which are £35 for up to £300 claimed, and upwards in stages from there?

Comment

It's more a case if I was to miss 1 payment of council tax, they'd be demanded full payment for the year. I think 6 weeks is ample time for them to process a refund. My ask was for some help with the wording of a letter before claim/action which hopefully will cause them to remedy the issue. They've already admitted they owe me it - They just don't see it as a priority in paying me. A LBC/LBA should remedy that.

Comment

Personally I’d write to the chairman of the council directly and ask them to justify the delay putting forward your argument of a missed payment.
        I’ve had many a success from this method over various council behaviours.

Comment

The refund will go into your bank account within 28 days when you let us know you've moved. If you do not pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, we'll send you a cheque to the new address that you have provided. so contact coundil as advised above. this is geneal responses covers most situations.

Have you took the time to ring them?
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Fired off a Letter Before Action email to the leader of the council yesterday. Phone call today. Refund will be in my bank account by next Friday.

Comment

And that’s probably because the Leader of the council is now aware of the failings in their council more than the LBC. Well done all the same.

Comment

Working...
              X