GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Advice needed on how to deal with debts going forward - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed on how to deal with debts going forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed on how to deal with debts going forward

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, I stumbled across it over the weekend. Sorry if this post is in the wrong section.

I am in definite need of some of your help and advice.

I'll give you a brief history of how I got into such a deep financial state. My and my now wife were settled with her daughter in 2016 when Interpol turned up at our door. Basically she fled Cyprus with her daughter to flee from her abusive ex husband for their safety. The former husband reported her of kidnapping the daughter and she had to go back to Cyprus to fight the case. Long story short the father has since gone AWOL and we have been stuck in Cyprus since fighting for full custody (which is almost impossible without the father present) And fighting her criminal case. Which is now over thankfully. All of this has cost well over 15k (Hence the debts below)

Current Bal Date Taken Out Defaulted
    Capital One - £2,337 - Feb 12 - July 17
    MBNA - £10,614 - May 15 - March 18
    Barclays - £7,404 - Sept 12 - April 18
    Halifax - £2,690 - Oct 14 - June 18
    Aqua - £4,892 - Sept 12 - July 17
    Tesco Loan - £6,955 - May 16 - July 17

Tesco CC - I cant find details on this either on Credit Karma or Clear score. But I think its about 3k.

Since 2018 I have been making token payments of £1 a month to Capital 1, and Tesco X2 for the CC and Loan.

Because of the situation above, I am still living in Cyprus. All of the lenders are aware of this. I am now being spammed with calls from Intrum daily, I guess they have sent letters too, but they are probably being sent to my mums address so I haven't seen then. I checked on my credit file, and they did a soft search on the 28th of June (purpose: Account Management). From research I am almost certain they have been sold the Tesco debt (maybe this is why I cant find it on my credit file?)

Please can I have some advice on how to proceed firstly with Intrum, and going forward as a whole. Will the other debts go off the credit file in 3 or so years? Or are they likely to all sell them on like tesco?

Thanks for the help!

1st things 1st:- A Diary for each item:-

Type: Overdraft/credit card etc???
    Date Commenced:
    Default:
    Balance:
    Last Paid:
    Owner:

keep diary up to date on each alledged debt!
    welcome by the way,

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

PlanB
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

PLease just use this thread!

Comment

diary as request in post 2 above, saves time repeating the questions to you>

Comment

Colin G Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post

Hello

I’ll take a look at the OP’s situation tomorrow

Di

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post

Hello

I’ll take a look at the OP’s situation tomorrow

Di
                THank you PlanB

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post

Type: Overdraft/credit card etc???
                  Date Commenced:
                  Default:
                  Balance:
                  Last Paid:
                  Owner:

I agree that's the best way to get the ball rolling - a separate post for each debt.

I would add the name the original creditor if the debt has been assigned to a debt purchaser.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by a718671076 View Post
                    I am still living in Cyprus. All of the lenders are aware of this. I am now being spammed with calls from Intrum daily, I guess they have sent letters too, but they are probably being sent to my mums address so I haven't seen then. I checked on my credit file, and they did a soft search on the 28th of June (purpose: Account Management). From research I am almost certain they have been sold the Tesco debt (maybe this is why I cant find it on my credit file?)

One obvious quick question (while I wait for you to list each of your debts in separate posts) - you say all of your creditors are aware of you living overseas, so is Tesco one of those who know/knew?

You also say you're getting calls from Intrum daily, is your mobile number (assuming that's where the calls are being made to) a UK mobile number or a local mobile number? I ask because it's possible that Intrum may have not yet looked closely at your details (if they have any), they just began with the auto-dial which would then progress to writing.

When you left the country did you give your creditors your Mum's address or would they still have another UK address for you?

When you checked your credit file were any debts registered at your Mum's address or another address?

Sorry for all the questions but it's safer to make suggestions once the facts are known.

I look forward to helping you.

Di

Comment

Thanks for the reply Di,

I'll try to get a completed diary up today or if not tomorrow morning, in the mean time:

Yes Tesco were aware of the move, and I checked on my credit file all of the companies have the Cyprus address as my current one.

They are calling my UK mobile number as I'm still using that.

All of the debts were originally taken out using my mums address, so this will be the only UK address they have on record.

Hopefully I covered all of your questions above. I really appreciate the help

Comment

Originally posted by a718671076 View Post
                        Thanks for the reply Di,

I checked on my credit file all of the companies have the Cyprus address as my current one.

They are calling my UK mobile number as I'm still using that.

All of the debts were originally taken out using my mums address, so this will be the only UK address they have on record.

More questions

Is your Mum's address showing on your credit file as your address or linked address?

Are/were you on the Electoral Roll at your Mum's address and does that show (date specific) on your credit file?

Do you own any assets in the UK such as a property?

Are you working on contract or employed by anyone in the UK?

Was 2016 the year when you left the UK to go to Cyprus and do you have any plans to return to the UK?

Since your mobile is a UK number it's possible that Intrum are calling that without knowing that you are currently living overseas. They'll probably write to you at your Mum's address if Tesco gave it to them when the debt was assigned. What (if any) arrangements do you have for mail which is delivered to your Mum's address?

Sorry for all the questions but you're looking for answers on how to manage your overall situation so it helps to take a holistic view so you become aware of any risks as well as potential benefits of what you do, or don't do, next.

Di

Comment

Happy to answer any questions!

I think it maybe as a linked address. I am on the Electoral roll at that address despite not living in the country.

I don't have any assets

Despite living in CY I am working full time for a UK company and its paid into a UK bank account and I pay tax +NI in the UK

Yes I left the UK in 2016. We would like to return to the UK asap, as soon as we finally get the custody sorted, which should be in the next few months fingers crossed.

My mum usually sends my post on every couple of months, I'll get her to send it over this week. Intrum left a message on my phone for the first time yesterday, before they just called then hung up.

Of course, I completely agree, I think its important to know all the risks and what might be ahead!

I appreciate the help as always!

Comment

Here is my diary:

Type: Capital One Credit Card
                            Date Commenced: February 2012
                            Default: March 2018
                            Balance: 2,337
                            Last Paid: June 2017 (£1 a month token payments still ongoing since 2018)
                            Owner: Capital One

Type: MBNA Credit Card
                            Date Commenced: May 2015
                            Default: March 2018
                            Balance:10,615
                            Last Paid: August 2017
                            Owner: MBNA

Type: Barclays Credit Card
                            Date Commenced: Sept 2012
                            Default: April 2018
                            Balance: 7,404
                            Last Paid: September 2017
                            Owner:Barclays

Type: Halifax Credit Card
                            Date Commenced: October 2014
                            Default: June 2018
                            Balance:2,690
                            Last Paid: September 2017
                            Owner: Halifax

Type: AQUA (New Day LTD) Credit Card
                            Date Commenced:
                            Default: January 2018
                            Balance: 4,892
                            Last Paid: June 17
                            Owner:AQUA

Type: Tesco Bank Loan
                            Date Commenced: May 2016
                            Default: Feb 2018
                            Balance: 6,955
                            Last Paid: July 2017 (£1 a month token payments still ongoing since 2018)
                            Owner:Tesco (I believe)

****UPDATE***

I was checking my credit Karma to get the defaults or above and Intrum turned up as a debtor for the first time (This was not on there a week ago). Details below

Type: Intrum UK Finance Limited
                            Date Commenced: 24/3/2017
                            Default: April 2020
                            Balance: 2,032
                            Last Paid: N/A
                            Owner: Intrum

The odd thing is Credit Karma has a balance over time graph and its decreased from 2144 to 2032 without any payments being made.

Comment

Hi guys,

What course of action would you guys recommend I take with Intrum?

Dont want to leave it too late and end up with a CCJ or something!

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X