GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script My son's council taX debt at another address - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My son's council taX debt at another address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Warwick65 View Post

I am guessing it because effectively they all owed all the money and not just 1/3rd each- so if one person paid the 1/3rd and the other two didn't, they could still chase all 3. Could the ex have gone into a formal debt arrangement such as an DRO or Bankruptcy which would be why their name is not on it.

I am sure Di may be able to explain it better than me
    Hi, I updated , I had a look at the letter from the bailiff and all three names are on it . I am pleased I took a pic of it now, so it changes things now all three names are on this letter .

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post

I had a look at the letter from the bailiff and all three names are on it . I am pleased I took a pic of it now, so it changes things now all three names are on this letter .

That sounds promising.

The bailiff came looking for him at your address and you made it clear that he doesn't live there so they will have to trace him.

Was it just a letter from the bailiff or was it a Warrant of Control from the court which needs to be stayed etc?

You might find some useful information here > https://www.bailiffhelpforum.co.uk/index.php

Di

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post

That sounds promising.

The bailiff came looking for him at your address and you made it clear that he doesn't live there so they will have to trace him.

Was it just a letter from the bailiff or was it a Warrant of Control from the court which needs to be stayed etc?

You might find some useful information here > https://www.bailiffhelpforum.co.uk/index.php

Di
        Hi, there was nothing attached to it , just the threats. the lodger has been in touch with the council and she is now off the bill as she moved out 3 years ago , so it is now my son and his ex. My son moved out in the August , the council said he needs to prove he moved out so they can send him a bill up to that date . I've spoken to my son and he is fine with this , and can really only pay them back in instalments , wonder if they'll let him do this and will this stop the bailiff going after him ? Thanks for the reply .

Comment

My son moved out in the August , the council said he needs to prove he moved out so they can send him a bill up to that date . . . . and will this stop the bailiff going after him ?

It seems you are making progress with this.

Can he prove he moved out in the August with something like a tenancy agreement for the next place, or a utility bill etc.?

Yes the council can put a stop on the bailiffs if they want to, and unravel the Liability Order if it wasn't appropriate at the time.

Di

Comment

It seems you are making progress with this.

Can he prove he moved out in the August with something like a tenancy agreement for the next place, or a utility bill etc.?

Yes the council can put a stop on the bailiffs if they want to, and unravel the Liability Order if it wasn't appropriate at the time.

Di
            Just spoke to him , he went through his email's and he stopped uni in June , and he moved out 15 September 2019 , so yes making progress. Only problem we have is that he has no fixed abode , so who would the bill be sent to as we need to know when it was from and to . After September 15 his ex is responsible for any bills at that address. I am so glad i told him to send that email as he was not in a good place , but I wanted proof he'd moved out .

Comment

That's good. As he was a student until June and moved out soon after that should limit his liability. I spent years paying off council tax arrears by instalments - they were generally fine unless I missed the current years. Just an oddity, if the instalment for this year is 100.01 and you send £100 or even £200 the computer will not match it up and show you as a month in arrears for the current year with what you paid being taken off the arrears . Hope that makes sense

Comment

he went through his email's and he stopped uni in June , and he moved out 15 September 2019 . . . Only problem we have is that he has no fixed abode , so who would the bill be sent to as we need to know when it was from and to . . I am so glad i told him to send that email as he was not in a good place , but I wanted proof he'd moved out .

He ought to be able to manage this situation by email. It's not a legal requirement to have a permanent address.

Local Authorities tend to have a website where you can login to download a PDF of a bill.

Is he entitled to any benefits and is he getting them? Being of 'no fixed abode' shouldn't prevent him from claiming as explained by Shelter here > https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...on_the_streets

Di

Comment

He ought to be able to manage this situation by email. It's not a legal requirement to have a permanent address.

Local Authorities tend to have a website where you can login to download a PDF of a bill.

Is he entitled to any benefits and is he getting them? Being of 'no fixed abode' shouldn't prevent him from claiming as explained by Shelter here > https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...on_the_streets

Di
                  Hi, he must be getting benefits , I will tell him he can get the information he needs from the council website and see how it goes from there . Thank you for your help .

Comment

I will tell him he can get the information he needs from the council website and see how it goes from there . Thank you for your help .

You're welcome

The aim is to get rid of Marstons bailiffs and the Liability Order, get the bill recalculated including any possible exemption from his student days and/or when in receipt of benefits, and get them to accept modest repayment if they're not prepared to write off the debt.

Keep the forum posted.

Di

Comment

Citizen's Advice will also do a 'benefits check' to make sure that he's claiming everything that he's entitled to, they might be worth a call.

Comment

My son moved out in the August , the council said he needs to prove he moved out so they can send him a bill up to that date . I've spoken to my son and he is fine with this , and can really only pay them back in instalments , wonder if they'll let him do this and will this stop the bailiff going after him ?

Has your son been able to get the bailiffs off his back yet?

Di

Comment

Working...
                        X