GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Vanquis wants to mark credit file with a default, I want a write off? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vanquis wants to mark credit file with a default, I want a write off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanquis wants to mark credit file with a default, I want a write off?

Hi All.

for those of you that don't know, a bit of back ground.

I have been a member of AAD for 10+ years.
    Started by wanting help with the many debts Hubby and I were struggling with.
    many moons later, all off the credit file and SB.
    Still here helping others.

Fast forward to 2021 May,

Hubby has a severe stroke, confined to wheelchair/bed, suffers Aphasia, so may never be able to talk again, cannot write, in fact he would make a good coat holder, if he didn't moan so much.
    He is at the moment in a nursing home, no Idea when or if he will be coming home, but that is his wish and I hope to grant it.

So to my dilemma.

Hubby has a Vanquis CC, and I had continued the payments until recently. It is in his name only, so not my debt

After a financial assessment by Local Authority, for said Nursing care (turned down for CHC funding) they have taken his works pension and state pension, and allowed me an allowance from it, leaving him with £24.90 for personal use.

I contacted Vanquis and sent them the breakdown from LA, showing there is no way we can pay the balance. I asked if they would consider a write off.

today I have received an email.
    it asks me if I could pay a small amount towards the balance so that they could Mark his credit file as Partially Settled, otherwise they will have to mark it as Defaulted.

As we won't be able to afford anything on credit a default isn't doing any harm anyway. but wouldn't partially settled have the same effect.

BUT. If they want ME to pay anything I was thinking Settled or account closed would be what was on the file.

Any thoughts on what I should do, to add to mine of " shove it, and whistle Dixie".

Thanks for reading

K
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Hi

You didn't mention o/s balance, or what they mean by a "small payment", but if a default isn't going to make much difference to you, it's tempting to say "stuff you". On the other hand it might be worth pointing out that you HAVE been making payments, so it's already partially settled, and that in the interests of an equitable outcome you could perhaps make a further small payment, on condition that they mark the account Settled or Closed.

They are obviously trying to drain every possible drop from you, with the threat of default hanging in the air. In the end, no doubt you could find a better use than giving them any more, and it's what we usually suggest isn't it (rainy day money).

That was a long way round to say that your sentiments above are probably the right ones.
    Last edited by Still Waving; 13 June 2022, 23:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Waving View Post
      Hi

You didn't mention o/s balance, or what they mean by a "small payment", but if a default isn't going to make much difference to you, it's tempting to say "stuff you". On the other hand it might be worth pointing out that you HAVE been making payments, so it's already partially settled, and that in the interests of an equitable outcome you could perhaps make a further small payment, on condition that they mark the account Settled or Closed.

They are obviously trying to drain every possible drop from you, with the threat of default hanging in the air. In the end, no doubt you could find a better use than giving them any more, and it's what we usually suggest isn't it (rainy day money).

That was a long way round to say that your sentiments above are probably the right ones.
      I didn't mention the o/s balance or what the small payment is because they haven't either. their emphasis was how the default would impede on his credit file, how I should focus on paying the "small amount" and not to worry if I can't.

lets be honest, worrying about his credit score is the last of the things keeping me awake at night.

I am thinking which is hard going just lately, they are trying to scare me with the default marker and when/if I contact to ask about the payment, they will see how much they can squeeze out of me.
      the full O/S balance in May was £1777. so I am thinking they are going to ask for half.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Personally I would write and explain hubbys situation and the fact that he has not the capabilities to pay it off, then ask what they suggest as it is His debt NOT yours. Don’t these people have a specific team or rules for vulnerable people? (Not sure if that is the right terminology) whom are able to write off debts of certain circumstances?

Comment

Mr Malcolm Le May Chief Executive
          Email Malcolm.lemay@providentfinancial.com
          Start the ball rolling :- send email and refer to husbands account number:- explain that his staff disregard the factual situation and give full details. would his department investigate this situation which his company has brought about by failing to be sincere. allow 14 days before any further attempt to get response, meantime inform any response on here. keep copies of all.

Comment

Originally posted by Timewilltell View Post
            Personally I would write and explain hubbys situation and the fact that he has not the capabilities to pay it off, then ask what they suggest as it is His debt NOT yours. Don’t these people have a specific team or rules for vulnerable people? (Not sure if that is the right terminology) whom are able to write off debts of certain circumstances?
            Because the accounts are in Hubbys name they started by saying they needed to speak to him to get his permission to speak with me. Also said the payments should be kept up till they have permission or I get Power of attorney.
            Dr's letter telling them he can't speak and has brain damage, so they deal with me or get nowhere sent.

I have already sent everything to them, including an I&E from debt helpline, that shows' how much is expected to be payed to LA, It shows there will be nothing left as we will have to use taxis to travel anywhere as public transport is useless, cant carry shopping and push a wheelchair, won't be able to use home delivery as won't have enough to pay for a big shop, I will have to be with him for any hospital appointments, can't go with him in hospital transport so £40 each way on hospital days, trip to supermarket £15 each way as he can't be left alone to long and it takes ages on the bus.

I have also told them that We will have to pay LA for 3 months nursing care that we haven't yet been billed for (£3700) so no money to pay off the debt.

I don't have any income till I get my pension in October, but while he is in the home I am allowed half his works pension, but I cover all household bills out of that.
            Credit cards Loans and Car Finance not taken into account by LA, so why I asked them all for a write off.

Car was taken back and because he had paid half rest was wiped out account now closed,

loan like Vanquis, wanted to talk to him, all paperwork including Drs letter sent, still await anything further.
            Last edited by nightwatch; 14 June 2022, 16:48.

Comment

If it were I, I would stop the payments immediately, informing them so it puts the ball into their court. I would tell them that until hubby is well enough to communicate with them payments will be suspended as I have no authority on what happens to his money or accounts.
              Do you have a social worker? if so I’d ask if it were ok to direct Vanquish to him/her as they are taking any notice of you and you can’t cope with the added pressures etc (lay it on thick) get their support behind you.

Comment

I have already stopped payments, did it when they asked to speak to him before they would deal with me. told them they couldn't be reinstated and as they were his debts no one could pay them.
                this is why they want to add a default.

Maybe I should tel them to take him to court, I'm sure a judge would be interested to know why a bloke , with nursing care in tow, who can't communicate is being hounded after I have tried to tell them he can't pay.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
                  I have already stopped payments, did it when they asked to speak to him before they would deal with me. told them they couldn't be reinstated and as they were his debts no one could pay them.
                  this is why they want to add a default.

Maybe I should tel them to take him to court, I'm sure a judge would be interested to know why a bloke , with nursing care in tow, who can't communicate is being hounded after I have tried to tell them he can't pay.
                  In view of what you have said, I was thinking that perhaps you might have a case to report them for unfair treatment if they won't play ball. I was having a quick look into the FCA Guidance for firms on the fair treatment of vulnerable customers, but nothing immediately caught my eye.

https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/f...nce/fg21-1.pdf

Perhaps a word with someone at JCS might be instructive?

Comment

No 5 # above

Comment

Working...
                    X