GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Letter from landlord - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Letter from landlord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied
    Re: Letter from landlord

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
    I have a fabulous body
    Whose?

Leave a comment:

• PlanB
    replied

Originally posted by jj19 View Post
    Plan B you have a disgusting mind
    This is true.

But I have a fabulous body

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
    As far as the 'blanket letters' are concerned consider this........ if you are living in a block of flats (or house share, house split into flats whatever), if you are smoking in your apartment and, especially on the ground floor, then the smell eventually permeates to the other flats in the building. Its inevitable. Therefore, if the landlord had received a complaint regards the smell of smoke in the building, but the person complaining didn't know where it was coming from (or perhaps afraid of the person doing the smoking through fear of retribution), then a blanket letter is a suitable and appropriate method for the landlord to start.
    jj should be grateful that the landlord had not got a complaint about the smell of the drains, in response to which he asked his tenants not to fart in the flats.

Leave a comment:

• SaltnVinegar
    replied

SnV I think ou will find I said I was angry because the note through my door was the first comment in many years about smoking in my flat.
    The other issue is that I do not take kindly to blanket communications. If you have something to say to me say it .
    But why 'be angry'? Don't you think its quite an insignificant thing to be getting angry about? Try to look at things from the eyes of a complete stranger looking to offer you advice on a forum. The tone of your original post, and subsequent comments, has been anything but looking to be conciliatory.......

As far as the 'blanket letters' are concerned consider this........ if you are living in a block of flats (or house share, house split into flats whatever), if you are smoking in your apartment and, especially on the ground floor, then the smell eventually permeates to the other flats in the building. Its inevitable. Therefore, if the landlord had received a complaint regards the smell of smoke in the building, but the person complaining didn't know where it was coming from (or perhaps afraid of the person doing the smoking through fear of retribution), then a blanket letter is a suitable and appropriate method for the landlord to start.

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
    I think you'll find he did.....
    Indeed

Leave a comment:

• jj19
    replied

Plan B you have a disgusting mind. I was referring to my collection of Hester Bateman .

Cleverclogs , no i also have a silver tipped bargepole for touching people

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

Plan B can I borrow your Butler. My silver needs polishing
    Originally posted by planB View Post
    I hope that's not a euphemism for something rude jj19
    Perhaps he'd like someone to rub the tip of his staff?

Leave a comment:

• PlanB
    replied

I hope that's not a euphemism for something rude jj19

Leave a comment:

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied

If you have something to say to me say it .
    I think you'll find he did.....

Leave a comment:

• jj19
    replied

SnV
    I think ou will find I said I was angry because the note through my door was the first comment in many years about smoking in my flat. There is not one word in my agreement about smoking but there are other non sensical parts such as mowing the grass.
    As far as I was concerned there was no issue about smoking in the flat , in fact the first flat I looked at with this landlord had a smoker in it.
    The other issue is that I do not take kindly to blanket communications. If you have something to say to me say it .

Leave a comment:

• SaltnVinegar
    replied

First off - Please do not tell me what I can say to my friends. If I am ok for them to have the occasional cig that is up to me.
    You asked - "Where do I stand about letting people smoke in my flat that I decorated at my cost with my furniture"

Of course its up to you if you want to allow your friends to have a cigarette but in the same post you also state that it was causing you problems with your landlord.

You got my view on that, and I'm not going to apologize for the fact you didn't like it. Personally I wouldn't have the ill manners to expect any of my friends who do not smoke (whether they used to or not), to allow me to do so in their own house, whether they be fine with it or not, ESPECIALLY if there is the potential for causing grief with a landlord which is what your original post suggested.

Its great that you're happy enough to let your friends smoke in your house when you do not but are those same friends also going to cough up (excuse the pun), the money to repaint the house and have professional cleaning done, or refund you your deposit should the landlord keep hold of it to put right the odour issues that Patchouli described.

If the answers yes then let them puff away, if the answers no then you know where you stand............

Leave a comment:

• PlanB
    replied

I didn't think people that old could use computers !
    I get my butler to do it for me

Leave a comment:

• jj19
    replied

I dislike blanket letters that make vague accusations . That and it was untrue, it is not a term in my agreement but mowing the grass is. I know it will be a standard AST.
    Not sure if the lack of signature means anything

PlanB if you are old enough to be my granny then I forgive you, I didn't think people that old could use computers !

Leave a comment:

• patchouli
    replied

When I moved into the flat I smoked myself and the LL knew it. The verbal condition was that when I left if the smoke had caused smells or staining then I would be liable.
    So.. why were you livid?

Anyway, glad it's all sorted and glad you didn't tell him to go forth... I am also an ex smoker and while I don't 'preach' I do find the smell utterly foul... smokers breath to me smells like they have been chewing on cat poopies... *shrug*

And I am married to a smoker! lol oh the joy he has hearing me constantly... and I mean CONSTANTLY remarking "Pewwww you stink!"

lol

oh well.

Leave a comment:

• PlanB
    replied

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
    I don't think anyone told you to say anything.
    It looks like Plan B did but it was said in good faith. I didn't want to OP to die from passive smoking so it was a well-intentioned remark

Originally posted by planB View Post
    Here's my answer to your question. Being killed by an enemy is not avoidable. Being killed by a friend who smokes is. Tell them to stop it right now.

On reflection I was acting a bit bossy but I did check their profile page before I posted and could see that I am old enough to be their mother (perhaps even their grandmother) so I felt it was ok to preach. That advertisement I posted (about children dying from passive smoking) was emotive and that's what triggered my unusual assertiveness. Anyway it's water off a duck's back because the OP has decided to ignore my advice.

Leave a comment:

• jj19
    replied

Sorry if I misunderstood.
    As an ex smoker who has not joined the born again brigade I get a little defensive.
    I agree with the smoking ban in public places
    I agree it is bad for your health but so is living

As fir the grass comment above, very funny but never been one of my vices

Leave a comment:

Working...
X