GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Landlord did not protect deposit - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landlord did not protect deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Landlord did not protect deposit

Originally posted by downnotout View Post
    As and when I have something else to add to this I will. Tomorrow or Monday will be the acid test, with the original 'land lord' noticing that he is nearly 500 quid light this month. I just hope that if someone else finds themselves in the same situation, that they will take a crumb of comfort from my nightmare of a few weeks.
    Does the old Landlord still have a key Maybe a good idea to ask your new Landlady to change the locks just as a precaution

Comment

Way ahead of you the land lady rolled up with a guy to change the locks, just after the gas man went

Comment

The landlady said that they would have been looking for a rental increase if they had to go through a letting agent. However because of all the upset and trouble that has dragged me in to a family feud, and the fact that I am an established tenant, that they are happy to roll the rental price over. In a way I am very happy about this, its only £25 a month, but the going rate for similar properties in this area is £500.

Comment

Added to that she needs you to help the family get back the £6k rent which was unlawfully collected by the devious Brother-in-Law I still think you should get advice on whether you could claim back any of that too

Comment

Plan B. I am not that sort of person mate, if they get a penny back off him, then good luck to them. I paid my rent on time and in good faith. As far as I am concerned that money isn't mine, it is the person that owns the property. As I understand it, the £5,700 rental income that I have paid to the B-I-L, is only a fraction of the money he has syphoned off from this lady. All her life savings have been taken bit by bit, all her investments have been cashed in and their is no trace of where it has gone.
            I look at it like this, I am not out of pocket, but this old lady has been robbed blind. If her family can recover at least some of it, and I am free to live my life without the stress, then so be it.
            I am going to report the old land lord though, for lack of gas certificate, and I will endeavour to help the new land lady in any way I can with regards to claiming it all back.

Comment

Originally posted by downnotout View Post
              Plan B. I am not that sort of person mate, if they get a penny back off him, then good luck to them. I paid my rent on time and in good faith. As far as I am concerned that money isn't mine, it is the person that owns the property. As I understand it, the £5,700 rental income that I have paid to the B-I-L, is only a fraction of the money he has syphoned off from this lady. All her life savings have been taken bit by bit, all her investments have been cashed in and their is no trace of where it has gone.
              I look at it like this, I am not out of pocket, but this old lady has been robbed blind. If her family can recover at least some of it, and I am free to live my life without the stress, then so be it.
              I am going to report the old land lord though, for lack of gas certificate, and I will endeavour to help the new land lady in any way I can with regards to claiming it all back.
              Perhaps you weren't the first tenant to pay him rent on a bogus tenancy agreement

Comment

Plan B, I know I wasn't mate, they are chasing him for the lock stock amount.

Comment

Just back and caught up on this - well done and I am so pleased that the new landlady sounds so much better and has put your mind at rest and been so reasonable about it all (as she should seeing as you were dragged into this mess)

I rent my house privately - and touch wood - we have not had any problems - we have a great landlord who leaves us alone - we don't bother him at all so again touching wood - it is all working out well

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                    By not going through an agent they are saving the agent's commission. In this area agents keep at least 10% of the rent every month. By not using an agent they are at least £25/mth better off than they would be if they'd increased the rent by £25 and used an agent. It's a win-win for both of you.

Can't understand why so many people use agents even when they live more or less locally, a friend of mine moved to Spain in 2000 and has been letting out her London flat without an agent ever since.

The person who was illegally collecting the rent should be subject to criminal proceedings.
                    To prevent situations such as these. The agent takes up tenants' references and also asks the Landlord to provide proof of ownership A good agent will ask to see the Landlord's CP12 Gas Safety Certificate so that no tenant will die of carbon monoxide poisoning which sent 4,000 people to A & E last year and killed 50 of them

http://www.dh.gov.uk/health/2011/11/co-poisoning/

Comment

I agree, agents can be a good thing esp if your abroad. I know landlords whoa re abroad at least get their property checked in on and an agent will ensure that the property is in good condition.

If they live local meh I don't see much use in an agent other then they can advertise run credit checks etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X