GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Expired MOT and Traffic Offence Report - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expired MOT and Traffic Offence Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Expired MOT and Traffic Offence Report

The police need to recover your details from DVLA so it takes a while. Years ago when I worked in that area, a large percentage were not followed through as they had no capacity to process all fines, but that could have changed.

In most countries the tax, insurance and MOT, if needed, are all joined up. We are moving that way, but we have no national MOT testing system, and garages can be as 'nice' as they want.

The ANPR is looking for the chance to inspect you, so that they can check what is in your car as well as your details. They can trap felons and illegal immigrants in this way, as well as those who NEVER buy insurance and tax and would scream away if they saw a policeman standing next to them. The ANPR traps are a bit more sophisticated and have people placed to stop you travelling further, like ANPR on one side of a bridge and the pick up on the other side.

I would sooner be fined for not having the MOT than be killed by somebody without insurance. However, I would be annoyed.

OH was fined last week for parking in Westminster with foreign Blue Badge. It would appear you can't park except in Blue Disabled Parking spaces, but of course it is not advertised except on their Web site so fat chance for foreign disabled people knowing that Westminster and Chelsea have invented their own rules.

Comment

Thanks, that's interesting readng.

Do you know if there is a time limit to prosecute for MOT non-compliance?

Comment

Originally posted by julian View Post
        The police need to recover your details from DVLA so it takes a while.
        Perhaps this is an administrative process delay. I think the Police have direct access to DVLA/a copy of their information.
        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

They do exchange data electronically according to schedules for database updates. It just depends how big their computers are or who they outsource the projects to. Fortunately now it is in the right format for whatever the police or the councils want to do with it. However, it does take time to process as SA Gold says. Individual Police Office also have access directly to DVLA for emergency use i.e. not traffic fines. For our safety such access is monitored.

Comment

You know you can re-new MOT 1 month prior its expiration day without changing the expiration date itself? So your new MOT will start at the day of the old one expiring regardless of actual test day.
            Then you can apply for tax disc online - you have 5 days grace period that way (DVLA system is updated and shows valid tax against your car the moment you pay online, 5 days is for postal delivery).
            Having MOT and tax expiring at the same day shouldn't be a problem then (so long as you won't forget renew obviously ).

Comment

What I would like to know is what time frame there is for being prosecuted? Crminal offences are not statute barred and I assume that a late/expired MOT is a criminal offence.

However, it's not murder and I should imagine that it would be highly unfair to have the cops knocking on my door in 10 years time as if there's a skeleton under my patio, if you get my point. Ok, ok, I buried my old MOT certificate under the extension inspector.

The police have to serve a notice of intended prosecution within 14 days for motoring offences don't they? I was cautioned but just given a yellow slip banging on about driver awareness courses.

But the 14 day provision might just be for endorseable offences like speeding or jumping lights when the police don't pull you.

I've been trying to look up if there is any timeframe for being served court papers on an expired MOT but without success...!

Comment

Well, I received my fixed penalty notice in the post yesterday. A full six weeks after I was cautioned.

But the good news is that's it's a fine (£100) and no points on my licence. Non-endorseable offence after all.

Just thought I'd let y'all know!

Comment

Good result there Blod
                  When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I suppose you could do without paying out £100 just before Christmas but at least no points on your licence

I thought fixed penalty notices had to be sent within 2 weeks or is that just for speeding offences? (or am I talking rubbish? )
                    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Notices of intention to prosecute need to be sent within 14 days.

Comment

Thanks Cym
                        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Working...
                        X