GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Section 75 Question... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Section 75 Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Section 75 Question...

Revised:

On 13th April, 2014, I purchased a SIM Free Samsung Galaxy S5 mobile phone from a Phones 4U outlet in Cambridge, using the above card to pay the full sum of £569.95. No mobile phone tariff/contract or insurance policy was offered, nor taken with this purchase.

I was advised by the representative who processed the payment to keep my receipt as he handed it to me (copy enclosed), and to take the phone back to the store if I experienced any issues over the next 24 months, as I would be able to get an immediate replacement.

The phone has continually proven to be faulty and not fit for purpose as it overheats (to the point that it is too hot to have against the body, i.e. resting on leg, in shirt pocket etc…), and the most recent occurrence of this led to a crack forming in the glass lens cover on the back of the phone. The overheating also causes the battery to drain rapidly (a full charge can drain in less than an hour – whereas it can last me up to 2 days of normal usage when the issue is not present).

Additionally, there is a Twitter account dedicated to Samsung products’ screens/lenses cracking on their own accord: https://twitter.com/GalaxyCracks - which further reinforces my statements above, and reinforces the grounds on which I require a full refund.

As you are more than likely aware following the mass media coverage, this national retailer has gone into administration, so I am now looking to you to provide a full refund, on the principle that this is a common fault with this model.

I base my claim on Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which makes you jointly and severally liable for any breaches committed by the retailer.

I look forward to a swift resolution, within 14 days from the date on this letter.

Comment

Change the penultimate paragraph to: "I am therefore making a claim against Barclaycard for a refund of £565.95 under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which makes the bank jointly and severally liable for any breaches of contract by Phones 4U (the retailer) under the Sales of Goods Act 1979".

Head the letter "Claim under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974".

I see no reason to give them 14 days - make it 7 days to put them under pressure. As someone wise once said to me 'he who controls the negotiations wins the negotiations'

Comment

Thank you - amended!

The address I was given was for Customer Relations @ some Leicester P.O Box... does this sounds right, or should I call back for a specific S.75 dept address?

Comment

Call to get a specific address or send to Customer Services.

Keep proof of posting from the Post Office (no need to send it recorded delivery).

Good Luck

Comment

Thank you. I'll keep you all posted. I'll send it Special Delivery, I always do (I am rather impatient) lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow2981 View Post
              I always do (I am rather impatient) lol!
              Really? I'd never have guessed

Comment

Lol! Already you know me too well :P

Comment

I just phoned them to get the correct address to post to, and they put me through to their disputes team who asked for a brief description of the issue - and said they will post me a claim form to fill in and return with as much documentation as I can provide (receipt, evidence of liquidation such as a printout of their website etc...) and return it asap for a quick resolution..

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow2981 View Post
                    they put me through to their disputes team who asked for a brief description of the issue - and said they will post me a claim form to fill in and return with as much documentation as I can provide (receipt, evidence of liquidation such as a printout of their website etc...) and return it asap for a quick resolution..
                    That's good news. It sounds like they're not unfamiliar with s.75 claims associated with the collapse of Phones 4U .

In fact they're probably inundated with them

Comment

Yeah - first thing they asked when I said Phones 4U was "did you pre-order an iPhone 6?"

Comment

Seriously? They want proof of liquidation? Send them a newspaper cutting!
                        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Haha.. I did question that - and the guy responded with "yes, I do know who Phones 4U were, so it will be easy to prove" and then suggested printing out the notice that is now their homepage.. if they are going to play ball and give me a hassle-free service I'll gladly send them two copies!

Comment

An update:

They contacted me today (by phone) apologising for delay (blamed a big backlog) stating that in order to progress I need to take my phone to an independent phone repair centre and get written confirmation that the phone damage was caused by a manufacturing fault, and stating whether or not it can be repaired. They said this was required in order for them to comply with CCA.

They have said any costs incurred will be covered by Barclaycard, but my question is how can I possibly prove any of this - and if an independent "opinion" decides this was not caused by the issue (as it will merely be a matter of opinion I suspect) or states that they can neither confirm or deny the cause of damage, where on earth do I stand then?

Furthermore, as I have stated earlier, the issue is so intermittent it is highly unlikely to occur whilst being examined.

Comment

Working...
                            X