GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Debt with Disability News Articles - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debt with Disability News Articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Debt with Disability News Articles

[CENTER][B]Elderly patients' NHS care: Your stories....[I]Guardian Blog[/I][/B]
    [/CENTER]

There has been an outpouring of personal stories from Guardian readers following the Care Commission report on the poor treatment of elderly patients in NHS hospitals. On Thursday, the Care Quality Commission released a report showing [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/oct/13/nhs-hospitals-care-of-elderly"]half of NHS hospitals are failing in their care of the elderly.[/URL]

There's been an outpouring from Guardian readers of their personal stories of hospital treatment on the [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/nhs"]NHS[/URL]. Comments range from those who have direct experience of incredibly poor quality care ("on one visit she told us that she wanted to lie on the bed and die") – to those who countered these stories with experience of high quality care ("I can't praise the healthcare professionals enough").

NHS workers have also explained their thoughts on the reasons behind the report. 10 years ago whilst incarcerated at the now defunct ascot hospital in berks, i witnessed first hand the lack of care for the elderly in many NHS hospitals. Some examples from our readers of poor treatment of elderly patients on the NHS

[QUOTE]I was placed in a geriatric ward because there was no room in the general wards, many of the things i saw shocked me. I was left with a very reduced sense of respect for our health system.
    Toilets with no doors facing into a public area, patients having food placed in front of them and then removed later regardless of wether they had eaten or not, no help provide to old folk who could not feed themselves, one poor old dear, had gone for 2 days with no food at all because of this regime before the rest of the "inmates" stepped in and started to feed her. I would not like to be an elderly person in a british hospital if that is the standard of care.[/QUOTE]Read more here---> [B][URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/joepublic/2011/oct/13/elderly-patients-nhs-care-your-stories?newsfeed=true"]Elderly patients' NHS care: Your stories | Society | guardian.co.uk [/URL][/B]
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Well the poor hospital treatment of elderly and any other patient come to that is a direct result of cut backs in front line staff and it is not just this government but the previous one too.

Too many pen pushers and not enough care staff.

This can only get worse over the coming months

Comment

[CENTER][B]'Incompetent' Treasury rejected our offer to help, say Equitable Life victims[/B]
        [/CENTER]

Frustrated Equitable Life campaigners have attacked the Treasury over compensation delays which could see 'many thousands more' die before pocketing their share of £1.5million. The Equitable Life Members Action Group (Emag) says the Treasury rejected its offer to help speed up the process using a CD database of victims' details. The Equitable Life Members Action Group told The Times that the Treasury is neglecting its promise to prioritise the elderly and vulnerable.

Just 777 payments have been made to Equitable Life policyholders who lost out when the poorly-regulated firm crashed a decade ago, according to a freedom of information request by a member. Not a single one of the 37,000 with-profit annuities holders – typically older customers – has received compensation. A spokesman said: “Emag is disgusted at the cynicism and incompetence of the Treasury in failing to deliver a scheme they promised after the election.

'While Mark Hoban [the Financial Secretary to the Treasury] blunders about, many thousands more policyholders will die before the first....[B]Read more here---> [URL="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-2050463/Incompetent-Treasury-rejected-offer-help-say-Equitable-Life-victims.html"]'Incompetent' Treasury rejected our offer to help, say Equitable Life victims
        [/URL][/B]
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Wonder if this has been trust down Cameron's throat.

[URL]http://www.tuc.org.uk/economy/tuc-20166-f0.cfm[/URL]

[URL]https://www.tuc.org.uk/tucfiles/97/DisabilityBenefits.pdf[/URL]

[URL]http://www.tuc.org.uk/tucfiles/101/Speechmarks.pdf[/URL]
          Last edited by pompeyfaith; 18 October 2011, 22:20.

Comment

[CENTER] [B][SIZE=4]2m disabled people risk losing welfare support in 'tick-box medical test'[/SIZE][/B]
            [/CENTER]

Disability charity Scope fears flawed assessment for Personal Independence Payment will repeat 'fitness to work' chaos
            As many as 2 million disabled people risk losing [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/welfare"]welfare[/URL] support because of the introduction of a flawed assessment scheme that means billions of pounds will not be paid to those who need it most, warns the [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/disability"]disability[/URL] charity Scope. The charity says the Personal Independence Payment (PIP), which the government is introducing to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA), has a failed regime of eligibility criteria. Scope is backing weekend protests by disability groups who it says are the hardest hit by government cuts.

There are 1.8 million working-age DLA recipients – and Scope says all will be affected by the government's proposal to reassess recipients using a new work assessment and fewer rates of benefit. At least 600,000 people will lose out because the lowest rates of support for care are being cut and almost all other working age claimants will be wrongly assessed, says the charity. The government's own figures show that to meet the Treasury savings targets, another £366m has to be found. There is concern amongst campaigners that the new assessment, which will reassess all new and existing claimants who are of...[B]Read more here---> [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/oct/21/disabled-people-risk-losing-welfare-cash"]2m disabled people risk losing welfare support in 'tick-box medical test' | Society | The Guardian [/URL][/B]

Comment

[B][I]Thought i would share this story on here...........[/I]

[/B][CENTER][B]Deaf Woman's Hearing Joy A Web Hit[/B]
              [/CENTER]

A 29-year-old woman has heard her own voice properly for the first time ever - with footage of the moment becoming an internet sensation. Sarah Churman, a mother-of-two from Texas, was born profoundly deaf and had relied all her life on conventional hearing aids to make out basic sounds. But she underwent pioneering surgery in September to have an Esteem hearing device implanted into her head. Eight weeks after the nine-hour operation, the device was turned on.

In the video, which her husband filmed as the device was switched on, Sarah hears herself laugh. Overcome with emotion at hearing herself for the first time, she then bursts into..[B]Read more here...--->[URL="http://news.sky.com/home/strange-news/article/16095943"]Deaf Woman Sarah Churman Hears Own Laugh For First Time In Internet YouTube Video Sensation |
              [/URL][/B]

Comment

[CENTER][B][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkslateblue]Families pay more for elderly care as councils are forced to slash funding by a fifth[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

[LEFT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Millions of elderly people have lost out after councils slashed funding for their care since the election, figures have revealed. Money for residential homes and support for frail older people has been cut by almost a fifth, it emerged. Figures compiled by the House of Commons library have revealed that more than £1.3billion in real terms has been removed from councils’ annual spending on help for the over-65s since the Coalition came to power [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]They found most councils are increasing the fees they charge families for home help and meals on wheels as they attempt to plug the gap left by Treasury cuts. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Campaigners said it meant pensioners were condemned to long stays in hospital as relatives are forced to give up work to look after....[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Read more [B][URL="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2054565/Families-pay-elderly-care-councils-forced-slash-funding-fifth.html"]HERE[/URL][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

Comment

[B][SIZE=4]Warning over legal aid cuts for disabled people[/SIZE][/B]

Ministers are being urged not to restrict legal aid for disabled people wanting to challenge benefit decisions. A coalition of charities including Scope and Mind argues that limiting access to "vital" help in England and Wales would harm vulnerable people.
                  Labour says the plans due to be debated by MPs later are "unprincipled".
                  But the government insists the £2bn legal aid bill is unaffordable and help has to be targeted at the most serious cases and those most needing support.

[URL]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15512827[/URL]

Boy these issues really piss me off, here you have Labour MP's and no doubt all MP's claiming legal aid like in the expenses fiasco and they are saying they want to cut the legal aid budget well how about looking closer to home.

Comment

[CENTER][B][SIZE=4]Home help bills for elderly hit £20,000 in postcode lottery of home care[/SIZE][/B]
                    [/CENTER]

[B][SIZE=3]Demands are being made to those who have savings or assets worth more than £23,250[/SIZE]

[/B]Frail elderly people who need help at home are facing a postcode lottery of charges by councils ranging from £2,500 to £20,000 a year, it was revealed yesterday. The demands are being made to those who planned for their retirement and have savings, property or assets worth more than £23,250. This threshold is used by most councils as the dividing line between OAPs who are given free help and those who must pay. But a disparity in charges means that paying for basic help in some areas can cost the elderly almost as much as a place in a private residential care home. The cost of care at home – which includes everyday but vital...[B]Read more here---> [URL="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2059739/Home-help-bills-elderly-hit-20-000-postcode-lottery-home-care.html"]Home help bills for elderly hit £20,000 in postcode lottery of home care | This is Money[/URL][/B]

Comment

[CENTER]More elderly people may struggle with their finances this winter as a combination of rising energy costs and a reduction in winter fuel allowance eats into their finances.Research by home insurance firm Castle Cover has found that the aver me in the coming months, with energy costs eating a big chunk of their income. In March, the Government announced that winter fuel payments were to be reduced by 25 per cent in austerity measures. The over 60’s had their annual winter payment of £250 cut to £200, while the over 80’s annual payment of £400 was slashed to £300.

[IMG]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/16/article-0-0000120500000CB2-187_233x423.jpg[/IMG]
                      [/CENTER]

[CENTER] And on top of this, in the last few months the ‘Big Six’ energy firms have unveiled staggering increases to rates they charge for energy. In turn, this double-blow is....[B]Read more here---> [URL="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2062215/Pensioners-forced-live-25-week-winter-energy-poverty-hits.html"]Pensioners forced to live off £25 a week this winter as energy poverty hits[/URL]

[/B][SIZE=2][I](I know its Elderly rather than Disability) - But thought it should still be shared....[/I][/SIZE][B]:happy
                      [URL="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2062215/Pensioners-forced-live-25-week-winter-energy-poverty-hits.html"][/URL][/B][/CENTER]

Comment

5corpio,

[QUOTE][SIZE=2][I](I know its Elderly rather than Disability) - But thought it should still be shared....[/I][/SIZE][B][IMG]http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/images/smilies/Generic%20Smileys/Icon-Smiley-Pack1-001.gif[/IMG][/B][/QUOTE]

They are a vulnerable group so yes I agree with the above.

Comment

thanks PF

Comment

[CENTER][B]'Systematic Failures' In Care For Elderly[/B]
                            [/CENTER]

[B]Britain's elderly are not safe from abuse or neglect from those caring for them in their homes, a new report has claimed.[/B]

An inquiry by the [URL="http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/"][B]Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)[/B][/URL] found widespread systematic failures by those who help older people with washing, dressing and eating. The investigation spoke to more than 1,000 older people, their friends and family. While around half said they were satisfied with their home care, the EHRC said there were as many examples of treatment, including cases of physical and financial abuse, which breached human rights.

The findings also included disregard for the privacy of older people and a disregard for their dignity while carrying out intimate tasks.
                            It also discovered instances of carers refusing to heat and serve food because of health and safety concerns which the report describes as "unfounded". "The cumulative impact on older people can be profoundly depressing and stressful: tears, frustration, expressions of a desire to die and feelings of being stripped of self-worth and dignity - much of which was...[B]Read more here---> [URL="http://news.sky.com/home/article/16115805"]Elderly Care Report Finds Old People Subject To Abuse Or Neglect From Carers Including Theft
                            [/URL][/B]

Comment

[CENTER][B]Santander is denying me access to my ill wife's account[/B]
                              [/CENTER]

My wife had a Tessa with Santander that matured in December 2001. She suffered a stroke in 2005, which left her partially paralysed and bereft of speech. I have obtained power of attorney, but my attempts to sort out her savings are hitting a stream of blocking tactics from Santander.[I] It has mislaid her passport, denied receiving utility bills and come up with numerous other excuses. I am 82, my wife is 76 and this is making me ill.[/I][B] M.M., Chesterfield, Derbys.[/B]

Santander may offer some very good accounts from time-to-time, but its administration consistently lets it down. Someone in its customer services department should have given priority to your case. Instead, you have been forced to play an endless game of postal tennis, sending document after document, which they have then lobbed back or hit out of court. I’m glad to say the issue is now resolved. You have received a cheque for £2,057 for the balance in the savings account. Santander has also apologised and sent a hamper with its best wishes....[B]Read more here---> [URL="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2065086/Santander-denying-access-ill-wifes-account.html"]Santander is denying me access to my ill wife's account
                              [/URL][/B]

Comment

[B]Sunday Mirror Investigation: Care services for the elderly in an appalling state[/B]

[FONT=Helvetica]Thousands of helpless old people in Britain could be victims of abuse or neglect in their own homes at the hands of carers brought in to look after them. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica]The scandal is exposed in a shock Equality and Human Rights Commission report which reveals how vulnerable pensioners – often frail and almost bedbound – are left to fend for themselves as callous private care companies hired by cost-cutting councils fail to do their job. Disturbingly, these firms now provide nearly 80 per cent of the care given to Britain’s half a million housebound old people. Today ANDREW DAGNELL uncovers appalling cases of neglect and speaks to experts and politicians about the desperate need to change Britain’s crumbling care system....[B]Read more here--> [URL="http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/health-news/2011/11/27/sunday-mirror-investigation-care-services-for-the-elderly-in-an-appalling-state-115875-23590254/"]Sunday Mirror Investigation: Care services for the elderly in an appalling state - mirror.co.uk[/URL][/B]
                                [/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X