GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script OVO Energy - What to do? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OVO Energy - What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OVO Energy - What to do?

Today I got an email from Ovo saying the terms and conditions had changed. Nothing odd about that you may think but I have never had an account with Ovo. However a few months ago I started receiving lots of emails and texts offering me loans which turned out to be in someone else's name - same first name different surname

I thought maybe someone had set up an account in my name and i would end up with a huge bill- or possibly someone had changed my supplier without my permission.

Anyway I tried to log in but couldn't so I reset the password - to my email address

When I logged in I found the account actually belonged to an elderly relative at a different - different address, different town, different internet provider and had received the bill two weeks ago to the correct email address.

This seems like a huge data breach and has somewhat upset me and my relative

OVO are now shut until Monday and I am at work most of the day but I will find time to call them

Should I contact the ICO - my relative doesn't want me to cause a fuss (but if I could get some compensation wouldn't say no:-) )

Any thoughts as to how i should handle this

just kick off bigtime and ask if anyone else has been affected by their apparent data breach, if some burbled reply,make a formal complaint (in writing) saying you may have to take it further,
    If they say it was a glitch and all sorted send to Martin Lewis, asking if anyone else has been affected,

I would just go to the top, But I can be a vendictive little minx if need be
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I would just go to the top, But I can be a vendictive little minx if need be;-- Pays to be these days
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

The plot thickens
        Someone on their forum claims they are open on a Saturday - even though their phone number says they are open 8-6 mon-Fri and 9-5 on Bank Holidays. This person also tried to suggest it was my email that had been hacked but that has zero logic- how could access my email link in any way to another person with different email and a different email provider. Seems like a cop out to me

Comment

Working...
        X