GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script New Deal 25+ Illegal Sanctions? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Deal 25+ Illegal Sanctions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Deal 25+ Illegal Sanctions?

A married couple were sent on a New Deal for 25+ people by their JSA advisor. This means they take you off JSA, give you your P45 and are then give you a 'training allowance', basically JSA with an extra few pounds a week plus ten pence JSA so they can put you on a rapid reclaim if you need to go back onto JSA - ie if you have not found a job. The man (49) had been out of work for 18 months, the lady (46) had been a housewife, last time in work was 3 years ago p/t but previously worked full time for years and has paid her dues, but forced to 'sign on' as they have no children.

The New Deal was unbearable. They were sent to A4E for this 13 week 'course'. They were put in separate rooms, as A4E said they had a 'couples policy' to keep them apart, which didn't seem to apply to all as there were couples in some of the other rooms. The wife was put in an all-male (aged in their 20's) room who bragged about their jail sentances, burgling and drug dealing & who knows what else. The 'tutor' held no teaching qualifications and constantly traded base and lewd remarks with the youths.

Each room contained 40+ people crowded inside with 5 computers between them - none of which you were able to access as the youths constantly played games on them. The lady had been there 2 weeks and had access to the computer for a total of 1 hour for a job search. Wheras at home they've got 24 hour access to the internet. They had to sit there from 9am to 4pm, every day, Monday to Friday 'job searching' with out of date newspapers.

These 'courses' are run by private companies who are being paid thousands of pounds of tax payers money for every person placed there - and there's 300+ people on these courses in every town and city in the country! The people they employ as 'tutors' have no teaching qualifications whatsoever. They come from bouncers jobs, warehouseing and the TA! The main aim of these courses seems to be to 'massage' the unemployment figures.

To cut a long story short, after a lot of unbelievable abuse from the 'tutors', the lady ended up desperate, despairing and demoralised. She could not sleep, and was afraid for her own safety in the building where this 'course' was held, so she got a doctors note which signed her off for 6 weeks with depression. She has applied for ESA but has heard nothing yet.

The husband stuck it out for another 10 days before he gave up - after being falsely accused of going drinking in the morning whilst on the course( he went & bought a sausage roll from a bakers when he was on a break and was backed up by their own security guard). Another level of ignorance shown by the 'tutors' was that he was accused of being in the IRA by the same one who accused him of drinking (he mentioned he used to be in the Irish army). It's a good job the 'tutor' was a 'woman'. This gentleman used to run his own business and has worked all his life! Now they have been cut off from all benefits, with no warning, no letters, no phone calls, no e-mails from the JSA advisors or A4E 'tutors'. The first they knew of it was a letter to say their claim had ended. This means no money whatsoever.

Also, when they were put on this New Deal, they were sent letters to say that help with their mortgage - the Mortgage Interest Payments, for which they qualified for originally up to September 2011, would stop being paid by the end of June 2011 (when the 13 week' course' was to end). Now, as all benefits have been stopped, they've been informed that the mortgage help they received has now been stopped from the end of April 2011.

The wife had been appealing the original decision to stop the MIP in June as they still received 10 pence IB JSA, therefore they should still be eligible to receive help with the mortgage. Shouldn't there even be a mortgage run-on? Anyway, has anyone got any advice at all as they are high and dry at the moment? Please don't say 'get a job' as they are constantly seeking and going after work, live in a high unemployment area and are desperate. They will be appealing this 'decision' but need to know if anyone else has been through this mess. I can't believe that they weren't even sanctioned before having everything cut off suddenly! Anyone heard of this or got any advice? Is this legal?
    Last edited by KarenMarie; 21 May 2011, 21:23. Reason: It was requested as the original was hard to read.

Re: New Deal 25+ Illegal Sanctions?

Can you possibly break this up a bit im having a hard time reading it..

cheers.

Comment

Hi KarenMarie

I don't really know enough to advise but hopefully there will be someone soon who will.

I don't believe that there is anyone on this forum who would say 'get a job' as there are quite a few (myself included) who have had long periods of unemployment in spite of trying their hardest to get a job.

Your friends have my sympathy - I just don't know what to advise.
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Karen & welcome, i hope it's ok but i've edited your original post.

Hopefully it's made it easier for everyone else to read.

Comment

You're brave Swanny!

I was considering editing the post but then I wondered why Jen hadn't done it herself...
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Have a mooch here: ---> http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...nt_schemes.htm

Pay attention to: ---> Problems with benefits and tax credits.
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Jen didn't have time on the Blackberry to do it... and didn't want a headache trying.

Comment

Firstly these are hard things to actually give advice on when its a 3rd party-- you weren't there and probably don't know the WHOLE story.

However basing on what you said im assuming it was Ingenus or a program like that. Fact is there are certain stipulations when you are on benefits. And I don't like doing certain things at work but I have to because if not Idon't get paid. -- same goes here.

However, bullying and making sterotype remarks about being in the IRA etc could be grounds for a serious complaint and / or a review of the situation.

I would first go speak to the Jobcentre as they are the ones who deal with the New Deal. Then I would look at approaching the contractor company who the courses were held through and complain there (they have the power to add or take away your benefit) but there are appeals processes for all these things.

As a last resort you can try the CAB / MP route.

HTH.

Comment

Working...
                X