GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Shawbrook Loan Sold to Asset Link Capital - Discussion - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shawbrook Loan Sold to Asset Link Capital - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shawbrook Loan Sold to Asset Link Capital - Discussion

Admin Addition -

If you've had a loan with Shawbrook and they've sold the loan to Asset then post in this discussion thread to keep everything in one place. Do not worry about Asset being a DCA - a lender can sell their whole portfolio and it appears that Asset is the lucky candidate here so they will just take over the management of the live account. They cannot and will not add any derogatory marks unless they are factual and you had already stopped paying or whatever.

Keep an eye on things and ensure you keep up with payments as directed by Shawbrook so as to not fall into arrears on a live account. I'm guessing this will stop you from increasing the loan however it's not derogatory so do not worry!

Point of interest, Asset is NOT FCA regulated either

Niddy.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

After holding a loan with Shawbrook Bank for just over 2 years, I received a latter stating that they'd sold the debt to "Asset Link Capital (no 7) Limited", a company which I've found to be incorporated in only July 2019.

The letter was dated the 19th May 2020, received the afternoon of the 22nd, opened the evening of the 22nd and stated that the debt would be transferred to Asset Link on the 23rd and to contact Asset Link after that date with any queries. It stated that the sale was a strategic decision and was unrelated to COVID-19. They did state that they made the decision 2019. That means there was somewhere between nearly 5 and 17 months to give some notice instead of effectively none.

Anyhow, I've never missed a payment (on any debt in fact), and while the debt was with Shawbrook, I was happy to continue paying the direct debit for a while longer before exploring how to overpay or settle early when the situation allowed.

The letter from Shawbrook does say that ALC will automatically take on the direct debit and that "the terms and conditions of your loan will not change, including the rate of interest payable by you, but Asset Link Capital will be responsible for setting fees and charges (if applicable) and they will collect payments due under the loan."

On researching this company they appear to be debt collectors, which concerns me somewhat. One site said:
    "The chances are that if you have an a debt with Link Financial your credit file will suffer because of it. They will have marked the account as defaulted.".
    Obviously I'd like to avoid that since I'm completely able and willing to pay. What do I need to do to protect myself from any funny business?

I was thinking:
    * A subject access request to Shawbrook. I'd like to see what data they hold on me which might shed some light on the situation. I'm obviously not going to get any help directly from Customer Services due to the timing of the letter, so may as well use this route to get at least something.
    * Check my credit report on ClearScore (Equifax). The balance on there is currently correct.
    * Store my last Shawbrook Annual Statement safely. Dated 13th March, that looks correct too, though it's obviously missing evidence of payments made in April and May. Should I seek evidence from Shawbrook of those or just wait until the first correspondence comes through from Asset Link to check it all looks correct?
    * Monitor credit report for settlement of current loan and creation of new one. Is the value correct?
    * Monitor monthly that the new direct debit is marking the new loan as paid on time.
    * Once furnished with first letter from Asset Link (within 10 working days apparently), I'll request anything that's missing:
    current balance, a schedule of payments, confirmation that they'll automatically take my direct debit, and get the final payment date in writing.

Anything else worth adding to my to-do list or worth knowing about the situation?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Can you clarify - is this a live loan that's upto date or is it a debt? I don't quite grasp your point - if it's a debt then who cares who owns it. If it's like a normal loan then they cannot sell it to a DCA.

The DCA takes over the default recording. They cannot add another or change the date. Stop worrying.

Please go back a step. Tell us more - is it live or a debt, are you in an arrangement to pay or paying the original contracted monthly amount?

Thanks.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

It's live, up-to-date unsecured loan 26 months into 60 month term, never missed a payment. No arrangement and no default. Apologies, I may have misused the word 'debt', but the wording on the letter is in fact "we are transferring your loan to Asset Link Capital (No. 7) Limited."

I guess my concern is rooted in who this loan has been sold to and what tricks they might try to pull. Had it been sold to another bank, I'd not be quite so concerned, but when I'm researching "Asset Link Capital" (and the various associated companies), I'm not seeing anything positive and they appear to me to be a DCA. Might they, for example, start the new loan with the incorrect starting figure, or decide in a matter of months to request that it all be paid back in advance of the original loan's end date, or try and continue to take the direct debit past the end date, unnecessarily soil my credit report etc. I've also literally found only 2 references to loans like mine being sold to ALC, but plenty of defaulted debts being taken on by them, which is causing me some confusion if I'm honest. Am I about to be treat in the same manner and hounded for payment, even though the original loan was completely up to date? Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but this is why I'm puzzling over how to be prepared for what might be coming my way.

Cheers again.

Comment

Is your credit file ok, as in could you get another loan? Is it worth considering early settlement to get rid?

But back to the post, a lender can sell what they call 'debt' (to us it means account) to a servicing company, a lot of mortgage holders were affected with this when GMAC stopped servicing the UK, we had it moved to a firm called MAS No.5 who basically done everything they could to force us out of our home even though we were up to date with payments.....

This is not a debt so they cannot sell it to a debt company, maybe you need to actually contact Shawbrook (ideally in writing) and ask what the hell is going on. Do a formal complaint so they issue a final response which allows you to utilise the FOS thereafter.

Link is a DCA but bear in mind they could be collecting this, and just take over the reporting - they should not and cannot add any derogatory markings as the account is up to date. If you're told to pay Link instead of Shawbrook then so long as its in writing and you pay the required amount they cannot do anything to you. Other lenders that view your report cannot see the account owner either.

Its a weird one is this. Without sight of the full letter it's hard to advise as I really don't know the history or what Shawbrook are playing at! You've got my email from earlier so if you want me to take a deeper look just forward me the letter.

In the meantime you need some of Diana Mayhew guidance I think as she's clued up with all this nonsense.

Cheers
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Weird it is indeed. On one hand, it's possible that ALC will start taking the new direct debit middle of next month, I'll make my final 34 payments and it'll all disappear forever and there was nothing to worry about. However, I've got a feeling they'll find some way to try to mess me around!

I think I'll take you up on that offer of taking a look at the letter, thank you. There may be something I've missed, or some sort of clue in the wording.

For posterity, others who have had the same treatment.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/reviews/5e...e5d209b8f1ee74
          https://debtcamel.co.uk/coronavirus-...comment-366077

Comment

Originally posted by muzz View Post
            the wording on the letter is in fact "we are transferring your loan to Asset Link Capital (No. 7) Limited."

. . . Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but this is why I'm puzzling over how to be prepared for what might be coming my way.

It's good to be cautious - but don't overthink the 'what ifs' which might be coming your way.

Accounts can be transferred/sold/assigned for all sorts of reasons, some of them tax ploys which may be above board.

However I note that Asset Link Capital (No 7) Ltd doesn't appear to have FCA authorisation in their own right.

Di

Comment

Hi all,

The exact same has happened to me last week. Loan sold to Asset Capital Link. Very, very worried about this - should I be?

Best,
              Chris

Comment

Suggest you start s diary and make record of all so far gives us a bigger picture??
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisf View Post
                  Loan sold to Asset Capital Link. Very, very worried about this - should I be?

Hello Chris

Maybe you should and maybe you shouldn't (be worried).

No need to start a Diary since this is your only issue, unless you have debts (do you?).

Give me a brief outline of your situation, and then if necessary you can start a dedicated thread in the loan forum.

What is the exact name of the entity which has apparently taken on your account (there are many variations of Asset Link Capital)?

Di

Comment

Hello, I received a letter last week from Shawbrook advising me that Asset Capital 7 had taken over my loan. The new DDI has already been set up.
                    I am not in debt with them, I have about two years left on it and around £2500 amount. I have never been late or missed a payment.
                    many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Missy View Post
                      Hello, I received a letter last week from Shawbrook advising me that Asset Capital 7 had taken over my loan. The new DDI has already been set up.
                      I am not in debt with them, I have about two years left on it and around £2500 amount. I have never been late or missed a payment.

Hello Missy

I see a pattern forming here.

This suggests Shawbrook have "transferred" a whole portfolio of loan accounts.

I'm almost as curious as you are to know why.

I'll look into this and report back.

Di

Comment

Thank you, I would be interested to find out why.
                        just wondering if it’s best if I try to tap up the bank of Dad to pay it off.
                        Many thanks

Comment

Thank you for your input Di.

I'm feeling a little better now I know there are more people in the same boat, but I'll still be keeping a close eye on the situation. I'm very unimpressed at how there was so little notice it was actually not possible to get in touch with Shawbrook prior to the move. That and some other factors have set me off on the defensive but maybe it's nothing to worry about and ALC will indeed just continue to take loan payments without any funny business. I've started a complaint with Shawbrook but I expect I'll get a standard copy-and-paste response like the reviews on Trustpilot.

Comment

a lot of this one going hence I suggested an individual diary as if so many in one place confusion??
                            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, I'm not familiar with a diary. Is that to keep our experiences in different forum threads?

Comment

Working...
                              X