GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Inheritance query please. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inheritance query please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance query please.

I am writing this post on behalf of my bro in laws friend's mother.

As I do not know much about how these matters work, I am wondering if anyone else who does may be able to advise on this one please.

Basically, a few weeks back, she received a lump sum amount of money into her bank account (inheritance) and she is too afraid to use it, not too sure why, but was told that she is waiting for a letter to confirm in black and white before she does.

Now I may be wrong, but I am not even sure if there will be a follow on letter and assumed that any letters would have been before she was paid the money into her account, which would include the amount, tax deducted etc.

So basically I think she wants to know if it would be safe to use some of it now or not? I hear she is supposed to be sharing with some of her children all grown up now, but does not know when the right time to do this is.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Inheritance query please.

Originally posted by di30 View Post
    I am writing this post on behalf of my bro in laws friend's mother.

As I do not know much about how these matters work, I am wondering if anyone else who does may be able to advise on this one please.

Basically, a few weeks back, she received a lump sum amount of money into her bank account (inheritance) and she is too afraid to use it, not too sure why, but was told that she is waiting for a letter to confirm in black and white before she does.

Now I may be wrong, but I am not even sure if there will be a follow on letter and assumed that any letters would have been before she was paid the money into her account, which would include the amount, tax deducted etc.

So basically I think she wants to know if it would be safe to use some of it now or not? I hear she is supposed to be sharing with some of her children all grown up now, but does not know when the right time to do this is.

Thank you in advance.
    Oh... bless her....

When my step-dad and then my mum both passed away, the money I inherited sat untouched in my bank account for a while as well; not because I was waiting for a letter telling me I could use it but just because it didn't feel like it was mine.... and it felt odd to have it. It sounds like this lady may be experiencing something similar.

Please tell her it is perfectly fine for her to use this money. It wouldn't have been transferred into her bank account otherwise.... If she wants to share some of it with her grown up children, then it's also her decision how and when she does this.

Last edited by PriorityOne; 19 August 2012, 20:35.
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
      Oh... bless her....

When my step-dad and then my mum both passed away, the money I inherited sat untouched in my bank account for a while as well; not because I was waiting for a letter telling me I could use it but just because it didn't feel like it was mine.... and it felt odd to have it. It sounds like this lady may be experiencing something similar.

Please tell her it is perfectly fine for her to use this money. It wouldn't have been transferred into her bank account otherwise.... If she wants to share some of it with her grown up children, then it's also her decision how and when she does this.

Aww thanks hun and yes I believe that could be it, as she is not used to having any bless.

I shall tell her, thank you so much.

Xxx

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
        Aww thanks hun and yes I believe that could be it, as she is not used to having any bless.

I shall tell her, thank you so much.

Xxx
        You're welcome.... It's quite surreal having money in your bank account when you're used to having nothing. It takes a while to sink in and accept that it can be used to make life better.

Remember the mantra:
        NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
        Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
        Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
          You're welcome.... It's quite surreal having money in your bank account when you're used to having nothing. It takes a while to sink in and accept that it can be used to make life better.

Cheers so much again hun.

I have just read the message again and it appears that it was frozen for a year for some reason, but the message is below.......

Its been in the account for a year,but they froze it n then 5 weeks ago.she rang em n they said it was all ok,they would send a letter out but she can distribute it amoung family before it arrives !

So at least she has had confirmation from them then.

Comment

Perhaps the money was frozen because of probate?? Also the executors of the will wouldn't be able to pay it out until any inheritance tax was paid.

So your friend should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
              Perhaps the money was frozen because of probate?? Also the executors of the will wouldn't be able to pay it out until any inheritance tax was paid.

So your friend should be fine.
              Thank you.

I have passed on the message to inlaw so that he can let her know, cheers again.

Comment

Working...
              X