GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Any cooks on board? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any cooks on board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any cooks on board?

Afternoon
    One thing i like to make is fish and chips with SA Gold batter (naturally). Problem i have is the batter will always stick to the oil tray. Any suggestions on how to avoid this - perhaps turn the fish over a few times (although i think due to the heat it probably sticks straight away?
    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Any cooks on board?

If you have no depth (for the fish to float) the batter has to sit on the base hence sticks to the surface, could try and turn the fish over once the batter start to set = trial and error, unless you get fat fryer and the fish will float on the oil! = but not too hot.

Between 350 and 375 degrees F — too low and you'll get greasy food, too high and it' burns

170 Celsius,

Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 2 June 2015, 15:24.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

hi. I think the temperature is around 160-170, but i think as you say the fish is sticking to the mesh, so perhaps if i keep the basket out (so its not hot) and lower it in slowly with the fish that might help. Cheers
      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

I do know you should lower fish into a fryer to avoid sticking , not just plop it in as for shallow tins all I can say is turing turning is the key.
        if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Presuming you use real fish and homemade batter.

Yes, lower in hot oil slowly, so the first bit seals before it the the mesh. It is easier to get the scraps put of the mesh than off the element

Alternatively use frying pan half an inch of oil and turn after a couple of minutes and regularly till cooked. I you want put cooked fish on rack in hot oven (220C) for 5 mins to finish crisping and drain off some oil.

Comment

Best go to a Chippy .......cos you can't do em at home .......lol

Btw I'm closed tonight .....

Comment

And they need to be cooked at between 170/180 in 4 inches of beef dripping......

Comment

I am very impressed by all these people who cook their own fish and chips.

Personally, it is a real treat for me to go to the fish and chip shop and buy some, together with mushy peas! And then drown them in vinegar when I get home!

Unfortunately, I am trying to lose weight at the moment so can only drool at the thought ....

Comment

Steak I always struggle with. 2 minutes after putting it into a hot pan, I have to mop out the water / juices that seem to seep out.

Comment

lower using the tail in your hand/fingers then lay the fish on the fat carefully, do not worry in all the years I did fish & chips etc I burnt myself a few times not concentrating.

Comment

thanks for all the tips peeps. i love fish shop too although nice fresh fish and sa batter takes some beating especially with oven baked chips too!
                      Oscar - try taking the steaks out of the fridge well before they go in the pan mate.

Comment

you do know Deepie actually owns a very popular and busy chippie - right?

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          you do know Deepie actually owns a very popular and busy chippie - right?

no, i didn't mate. I just re-read the thread and did wonder when he said that!

Deepie - do you do SA Gold batter as an option lol

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
                            no, i didn't mate. I just re-read the thread and did wonder when he said that!
                            Meant to be really good as well - but too far for me to jump on a train and get a takeaway
                            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                              Meant to be really good as well - but too far for me to jump on a train and get a takeaway

Comment

Working...
                              X