GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Hooray Hall - Adventures of a Handyman Part 2 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hooray Hall - Adventures of a Handyman Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hooray Hall - Adventures of a Handyman Part 2

Hi all, well about time I gave an explanation for going awol.
    I haven't been too great of late. I managed to avoid antidepressants, but was under the shrink for a while.
    Some I have kept in touch with know the reasons but it's not difficult to make a guess about what has been getting me down.

Still not a lot to report from the hall, but I thought you might like this story.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fox 1 upload.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	1394854

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fox 2 upload.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	1394856

Ever since I started feeding or Fox Family in order to get them in front of the Wildlife camera, they have become bolder and more friendly.

Last night one of the juveniles was waiting on the end of the drive for it’s supper, even before I had finished walking the Dogs and getting Millie the Cat in the house for her own safety.
    Well she thinks she is a Dog and anything on four legs up to and including Horses are friends to play with.

After I put the food out I sat on the corner of the drive near my cottage, It was still only twilight first to come up was the big Dog Fox. He’s the size of a Border Collie, he looked me in the eye from about twenty feet away and gave me a warning Gruff.

Who say’s Foxes are silent, they have a better vocal range than any Dog and are constantly talking to one another. It’s not a Bark and it’s not a mew. If you ever hear them you will know straight away.

After making a statue of myself for 20 or so minutes the whole Family was coming down the drive.
    Dog Fox, Vixen, 3 juveniles and a cub.

When the Cub got within 15 feet of me the Vixen began to alarm bark to call it back. As the Cub was more interested in the Crunchy Dog biscuits I had scattered round, she began to sound apoplectic. I think she started to wake the whole Valley. She even managed to wake Lady Hooray. When the lights at the Hall came on all 5 made off down the drive.

Less than 10 minutes later they were back to finish off the biscuits and drink from the fountain on the bottom lawn.

Tonight was a repeat, I managed to get one of the youngsters so close I heard it Fart when it realised I was sat on a stool less than a few feet away.

I heard the Vixen barking them back from a distance away., I thought that was my cue to pack up for the night? As I stood up and turned on my torch one of the young males who had got to within a few feet of me let out the most blood curdling alarm bark.

Worse then any Hammer Werewolf movie. You had to be there to hear it.
    Question Is a Fox Whisperer allowed to shit themselves!

I think I may put my plans to hand feed them on hold for a while.

Regards to all, Handy
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Hi Handy, sorry to hear you haven't been too well. Good to see you back.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Handy,

I'm back with some of my problems flaring up again and I have looked out for you. Getting quite concerned to find you missing. I'm sorry you have had some bad health problems and glad to see you back.

regards
        G

Comment

Hi Handy

Good to see you posting back on here

Fabulous photos!
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

It's lovely to have you back Handy
            "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Hi Handy ,have missed you and your tales, welcome home xx

Comment

Welcome back handy

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
                  Hi Handy ,have missed you and your tales, welcome home xx
                  DITTO

Comment

Wow, thank everyone
                    Just got back in from my Fox watch, they seem nervous tonight.
                    There was a lot of shooting going on in Hooray Valley today. The Vixen and one of the cubs are about and I can hear barking in the distance so fingers crossed.

Now don't get me wrong, I like to see the hunt go out. Tradition and all that. But when they come near here in the Autumn I have a scent masking spray ready. Lets see what happens when they try to follow the Hounds through the Hooray Bogs

Regards to all, Handy
                    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,

Comment

Fabulous pics, Handy. I love little foxes

Nice to have you back. Sorry to hear you've been unwell - best wishes for a speedy recovery (although knowing you it might give you some interesting tales in the future?)

PS. are you sure it was the fox that farted (scratches chin)...
                      If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Well Diddles it was the fox the first time, when the young one let out an alarm bark it was me the second time.

Comment

I'm not sure who has said foxes are silent, but I remember being dragged out of sleep one night by a fox wailing; it's like nothing I'd ever heard before. I'm pretty sure if I had been in close proximity (rather than just hanging out of the bedroom window and 20 foot above it) I'd need to do my laundry pdq
                          If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Well this is a silent clip, but this is my entertainment most evening now.

Comment

Welcome back Handy, hope you're feeling better now.
                              I'm loving the fox pictures, fabulous creatures. You're right about the sounds they make, when they're calling it's probably the most eerie sound in UK nature - they sound like the lost souls of demon babies, LOL.

I'm very anti hunt, even though I've kept ducks, but never lost one to a fox as I think if you keep anything like that it's your own responsibility to keep it safe.
                              The only thing that ever got through my barriers was a damn weasel or stoat, horrible things. They attacked two little call ducks and left them dying, with the tell tale bites right at the back of the neck. I was distraught. (They were pets, not for the table).

My next ducks were so big at least they had a fighting chance - even my German Shepherd was scared of them

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
                                The only thing that ever got through my barriers was a damn weasel or stoat, horrible things. They attacked two little call ducks and left them dying, with the tell tale bites right at the back of the neck. I was distraught. (They were pets, not for the table).
                                But, once they were dead, they'd be lovely with an orange sauce.

Comment

Working...
                                X