GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Inheritance tax to be scrapped on homes worth up to £1m - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inheritance tax to be scrapped on homes worth up to £1m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance tax to be scrapped on homes worth up to £1m

Inheritance tax to be scrapped on homes worth up to £1m

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on 4th July 2015 19:40.

*Chancellor George Osborne's Budget is to confirm the end of inheritance tax on family homes worth up to £1m. * He is expected to tell MPs on...

Click to Read More...

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.

Re: Inheritance tax to be scrapped on homes worth up to £1m

The £1 million threshold only applies to married couples (civil partnerships).

What about us divorcees?

Why can't we keep the "money we've worked hard to earn" Mr Osborne?

I may need to start a petition on this discrimination issue

# singletons

Plan B x

Comment

Until the bill is passed, there is nothing clear. The tax relief on the single person x 2 in the case of a couple, plus an additional amount to reach £1m, may be modified to be split so that a single person gets an addition to reach £500k. So both parents can indulge their children.

Unfortunate for children of large families, and complicated by half or step siblings, who will still have to share.

Comment

Originally posted by julian View Post
        The tax relief on the single person x 2 in the case of a couple, plus an additional amount to reach £1m, may be modified to be split so that a single person gets an addition to reach £500k. So both parents can indulge their children.
        They've already said that's the plan. This is why I think it discriminates against singletons. Either you pay a death tax or you don't regardless of your marital status or if you've been widowed.

I don't see passing on my hard earned money to my children as an indulgence. The opposite is the Government seizes it to squander on political policies which I don't agree with. I'd rather my children squandered it

I'm faced with two choices. I could spend it all now or I could ask someone to marry me PDQ. The third choice of giving it to the taxman is not an option.

Plan B x

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
          I may need to start a petition on this discrimination issue

# singletons

Plan B x
          I'm right there with you, Plan B - must admit that I hadn't read the small print and didn't realise how much singletons lose out - yet again!

Consider mine to be your first signature on your petition.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I expect that is why there will be a few marriages of convenience. At onetime property was the only reason women were forced to marry. With same sex marriages, are there the same grounds for annulment, e.g. non-consummation? If not, just phone a friend.

Either way if you do marry, what if your new partner has offspring?

Problem is, kids outside London and Alderley Edge can inherit a 10bed mansion with 100acres and pay the same inheritance tax as one from London with a 2-up 2-down and back yard.

Comment

Working...
            X